Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help!!! I need help with a decision on moving to Dubai

Help!!! I need help with a decision on moving to Dubai

Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:30 pm
peewee

mmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant future
Default Help!!! I need help with a decision on moving to Dubai

Hi everyone!

My dilema is: my boyfriend and I have been to Duabi several times for a holiday. He has relatives who live their who have shown us a lot of Duabi. They are very well off and have sucked us in to their way of living. He has recently been offered a job out their with Debenhams.

We do not know whether to take it or not. After reading about how expensive it is out their to live now, we are not so sure. We want to go out their to earn lots of money (more than we could in UK) to save. However, everyone on this site seems to find trouble with that.

We are both 25 would love advice from anyone their at the moment.

Thanks.
peewee
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! I need help with a decision on moving to Dubai

Peewee,

Welcome to the forum. Costs have gone up, housing is the main killer. There have been similar posts in the past, just scroll back a few pages, you will find your answers.

IG
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:41 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Peewee,

Welcome to the forum. Costs have gone up, housing is the main killer. There have been similar posts in the past, just scroll back a few pages, you will find your answers.

IG
I would echo that. I would echo that.

Really depends on the package on offer. If your accomodation isn't being paid for by the company, you need to ensure that you'll have enough to cover it, because the costs here are reeediculous.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:44 pm
peewee

mmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant future

Hi IndieGirl

I have spent the past 2 hours scouring through the messages. Sore neck!

Being female, how easy did you find it getting a job in Dubai. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will only really earn the equivalent to what I get just now (£18,000) excluding my tax! I work as a medical secretary at the moment but I cannot seem to find any jobs online for med secs.

Peewee
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:48 pm
peewee

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I would echo that. I would echo that.

Really depends on the package on offer. If your accomodation isn't being paid for by the company, you need to ensure that you'll have enough to cover it, because the costs here are reeediculous.

Hi littlejimmy

Accomodation is not included. I think the offer at the moment is Dh15000 a month which we both think is not enough, but at least we would have our feet in the door. Do you know the cost of a one bed furnished flat in a nice area. Relatives live in a big villa in Satwa (not the scrummy area)

Peewee
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:51 pm
peewee

Originally Posted by mmooney
Hi littlejimmy

Accomodation is not included. I think the offer at the moment is Dh15000 a month which we both think is not enough, but at least we would have our feet in the door. Do you know the cost of a one bed furnished flat in a nice area. Relatives live in a big villa in Satwa (not the scrummy area)

Peewee

Sorry, not done conversion properly

dhs 3000 a month. Woops
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi IndieGirl

I have spent the past 2 hours scouring through the messages. Sore neck!

Being female, how easy did you find it getting a job in Dubai. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will only really earn the equivalent to what I get just now (£18,000) excluding my tax! I work as a medical secretary at the moment but I cannot seem to find any jobs online for med secs.

Peewee

Depends on your qualifications. I found it quite easy, but my qualifications and past experience helped too.

You could try the hospitals out here directly, may be your bf's relatives could pass your CV around?

Did you see this thread?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386696
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, not done conversion properly

dhs 3000 a month. Woops

3000 a month for accommodation is very very low. What is the gross salary?
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:00 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the total package, IG.

I hope for your sake there's a missing 0 in there. There must be. PLEASE SAY THERE IS! If there is, you'll be fine. An apartment in a nice area...oooh 60-70,000 dirhams a year at a guess. Maybe more. Have a look on the better homes website for an idea. Just google better homes dubai to find them.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:02 pm
peewee

Oh my god! My conversion skills are terrible! I would not get a job in a bank.

I was correct originally his monthly salary would be 15000 dhs per month

Peewee
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:09 pm
Excess Baggage

Peewee
That's better, and if you can get a job as well, you'll be fine, as long as you don't go MAD!
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peewee

You should be fine.

1 br apt for abt 5000 ,
water, leccy, phone - 600
groceries etc - 1200
1 car (look at lil jimmys thread)- ? 1500-2000 per month?- which car?

Entertainment - depends on you and how much you want to save!

You may not save much, but once you find a job too, you should easily be able to save 1 income.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:39 pm
peewee

You should be fine.

1 br apt for abt 5000 ,
water, leccy, phone - 600
groceries etc - 1200
1 car (look at lil jimmys thread)- ? 1500-2000 per month?- which car?

Entertainment - depends on you and how much you want to save!

You may not save much, but once you find a job too, you should easily be able to save 1 income.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Indiegirl.

We were hoping to be able to save my salary but want to be able to keep our house in UK which is dhs 5500 a month!

Tell me - how bad is Sheik Zyed Road these days?

Plus I would also want to have a car (obviously just a corsa or something)

He is coming out at begining of Sept hopefully he can negotiate a better deal. How much would you say would be the minimum we could live their for comfortably for a month
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Indiegirl.

We were hoping to be able to save my salary but want to be able to keep our house in UK which is dhs 5500 a month!

He is coming out at begining of Sept hopefully he can negotiate a better deal. How much would you say would be the minimum we could live their for comfortably for a month
OK am back from giving my lil one dinner, response below.

Last edited by IndieG; Aug 26th 2006 at 5:00 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 4:53 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Indiegirl.

If 15k is all in then you're going to struggle to save, but it depends on how frugal you both are and weather you like to partake in the odd night of drunken revelary whilst eating fine food at Pisces or Verre - Budget 2000 for that one!!

You'd be a brave woman running around in a corsa/echo too!

SZR is fine if you head into dubai from Marina on a morning and out on an evening, if you need to go the other way it's a nightmare!

That said, there are some great reasons to be here and it's not all gloom and doom.

Just be carefull about the unmarried thing tho!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.