Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help with finding a job in IT / Telco industry

Help with finding a job in IT / Telco industry

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

asaf187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with finding a job in IT / Telco industry

Hi people love the site, very useful info to hand and would like your help.

I am thinking of moving to Dubai and would like your help with telling me who is the best agency to contact.

I have over 12 years exp working a large service provider in the UK and have gained a lot of knowledge & certification along the way currently I work s a Senior Network eng which role wise includes working on projects designing & configuring MPLS / BGP / ISIS / OSPF (routing protocols) Networks.

I also have skills with firewalls Checkpoint & Cisco pix, ( Also get involved with 3rd line troubleshooting which is escalated to me from the NOC team.)

I am certified to Cisco CCNP & Nortel (NNCSE) Passport 8600 & the whole ERS range, Checkpoint CCSA, ITIL Foundation. Currently preparing for the CCIE written exam which I hope to take in September.

I have working knowledge for Cisco routers 1700's - 12000 GSR & Cisco 6513 switches, Nortel Baystack 450 / 8600 / 5500, Alteon 2424, Juniper M7i / M40

Of course i could go on but no need as all my details are in my CV and all I need to do is find a role for me & my family, I have 2 kids aged 7 & 10. So any info would be much appreciated regarding school & cost etc etc.

Another thing I see on the forum is that the Flats are really expensive, Would it be fair to ask for help towards paying rent from the respective employer ???
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with finding a job in IT / Telco industry

Originally Posted by asaf187

I am thinking of moving to Dubai and would like your help with telling me who is the best agency to contact.

I have over 12 years exp working a large service provider in the UK and have gained a lot of knowledge & certification along the way currently I work s a Senior Network eng which role wise includes working on projects designing & configuring MPLS / BGP / ISIS / OSPF (routing protocols) Networks.

I also have skills with firewalls Checkpoint & Cisco pix, ( Also get involved with 3rd line troubleshooting which is escalated to me from the NOC team.)

I am certified to Cisco CCNP & Nortel (NNCSE) Passport 8600 & the whole ERS range, Checkpoint CCSA, ITIL Foundation. Currently preparing for the CCIE written exam which I hope to take in September.

I have working knowledge for Cisco routers 1700's - 12000 GSR & Cisco 6513 switches, Nortel Baystack 450 / 8600 / 5500, Alteon 2424, Juniper M7i / M40

Of course i could go on but no need as all my details are in my CV and all I need to do is find a role for me & my family, I have 2 kids aged 7 & 10. So any info would be much appreciated regarding school & cost etc etc.

Another thing I see on the forum is that the Flats are really expensive, Would it be fair to ask for help towards paying rent from the respective employer ???
schooling is expensive, 26,000 dhs for a three year old. Apartments - 2 beds are now 120 ish if not more, an a villa will set you back over 150.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:47 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Cisco website - they had a heavy recruitment drive last summer so not sure if they are still lacking people.

It's generally easier to get a good package by doing a transfer with your company, most companies have decent ex-pat packages. Applying for a new job here will mean competition from people who will work for a fraction of what you expect...search the threads.

You should get either housing allowance or increase in basic to compensate as rents here are mad.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Northern Lad thx for your feedback,

I have allready checked the Cisco website, They at the mo dont have nothing for Dubai however the funny thing was I got called by them last week asking me to go for a role in Reading...lol, I told the HR guy that Im actually looking work in Dubai, Another thing that surprised mw was what they were paying here in the UK they pay below what im on currently.

Im not sure if Nortel or Juniper are in Dubai will check today... but once again thx for the info.

Regarding the schools is that 26k per annum ? or is it monthly ? I have allready heard about the rent situation and yes its somethng I think that if I do find work will have to neg with the company.

Asaf
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Northern Lad thx for your feedback,

I have allready checked the Cisco website, They at the mo dont have nothing for Dubai however the funny thing was I got called by them last week asking me to go for a role in Reading...lol, I told the HR guy that Im actually looking work in Dubai, Another thing that surprised mw was what they were paying here in the UK they pay below what im on currently.

Im not sure if Nortel or Juniper are in Dubai will check today... but once again thx for the info.

Regarding the schools is that 26k per annum ? or is it monthly ? I have allready heard about the rent situation and yes its somethng I think that if I do find work will have to neg with the company.

Asaf

26 per annum up to about 60 an annum
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

kiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the rough

Try Etisalat or DU ( new telco thing over here). God knows whether they will be of any luck
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:23 am
Concierge

try Nokia as well
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Thx guys for the info, I have spent most of yesterday going throughout the main vendor site i.e Cisco / Nortel / Juniper / and yes Nokia, I have also made a application for a good job with Etisalat.

With most of the vendors ie Cisco the jobs are actually posted from like a few months ago but anyway I have applied for them... Lets wait and see if I get lucky.....

Once again I would like to thank the boardie's for your help and this site is fantastic, Ive spent a lot of time reading all the good info on here which has helped me a great deal.

Asaf
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

kiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the rough

Thx guys for the info, I have spent most of yesterday going throughout the main vendor site i.e Cisco / Nortel / Juniper / and yes Nokia, I have also made a application for a good job with Etisalat.

With most of the vendors ie Cisco the jobs are actually posted from like a few months ago but anyway I have applied for them... Lets wait and see if I get lucky.....

Once again I would like to thank the boardie's for your help and this site is fantastic, Ive spent a lot of time reading all the good info on here which has helped me a great deal.

Asaf
Most welcome!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Asaf
Second that. Info on here is excellant and im finding it very useful. Thanks guys.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderbirds Are Go is on a distinguished road

try Nortel, they may be recruiting at the moment.
you can have a look at their website, or alternatively try the local recruitment companies like clarendon parker
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

HI

I have tried Nortel, They have nothing at the moment, I have posted my CV on there site so will wait & see.

I have also posted my CV with quite a few local agency in Dubai, But the problem is the pay with the local agency is not great, avg is 25k. no money for flat & none for schooling.

I will wait and see on feedback from the apps that I have made.

Asaf
Old Jun 30th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Thunderbirds Are Go is on a distinguished road

mots jobs at the it/tech firms come with expat packages, unless they are for locals. 25k is in dirhams per month, and is tax free. schooling allowances are meagre compared with the cost, but i dependant on your employer. Dubai is not so cheap anymore