Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

help! ell me about brit mum's living in jeddah

help! ell me about brit mum's living in jeddah

Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

smmarty is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking help! ell me about brit mum's living in jeddah

hi, my husband is negotiating a package which may take us to jeddah. I am rather excited about the change in lifestyle but need someone to HONESTLY tell me the answer to some of these questions PLEASE:
1) for a family of 3 how much is the average weekly/monthly shop?
2) women can't drive, so are chauffers/taxis expensive?
3) what is the approx. cost of the following - 1L bottle of milk, a 50inch plasma/lcd TV, clothes for children..... things like that, so we can compare our cost of living here and there.
4) Are there groups for toddlers and pre-schoolers? - i have two preschoolers.
5) what can mum's do?

Any help would be much apprecited. I need the good and the bad news too so i'm not arriving with rose tinted glasses.

A quick response would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! ell me about brit mum's living in jeddah

There is a blog on here about Saudi by the Dean. Try that.
Then there is another website...www.sainsaudi.co.za

Good luck!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smmarty
hi, my husband is negotiating a package which may take us to jeddah. I am rather excited about the change in lifestyle but need someone to HONESTLY tell me the answer to some of these questions PLEASE:
3) what is the approx. cost of the following - 1L bottle of milk, a 50inch plasma/lcd TV, clothes for children..... things like that, so we can compare our cost of living here and there.
5) what can mum's do?

Any help would be much apprecited. I need the good and the bad news too so i'm not arriving with rose tinted glasses.

Cheers
All TVs and electricals about 50% cheaper in the UK than anywhere in this region.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:03 am
Just Joined

thanks guys. That's helpful. We did try to compare some prices from sterling to SAR but can't seem to find many sites to view. Can anyone send me any shopping sites to look at??
I did read the Dean's posting which was helpful.
Tell me, is $150USD + accomodation and transport a good deal and would be live comfortably there?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
All TVs and electricals about 50% cheaper in the UK than anywhere in this region.
Thanks for that info. Why does everyone say electronics are CHEAP there then? It's madness.

Can anyone tell me what young mum's can do there? Are there lots of acitivites for pre-schoolers?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys. That's helpful. We did try to compare some prices from sterling to SAR but can't seem to find many sites to view. Can anyone send me any shopping sites to look at??
I did read the Dean's posting which was helpful.
Tell me, is $150USD + accomodation and transport a good deal and would be live comfortably there?
Errmmm, 150 USD ? What... paid per hour?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alexa
Errmmm, 150 USD ? What... paid per hour?
Sorry - offer is $150,000 USD per annum.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Jeddah_guy is an unknown quantity at this point

5) what can mum's do?

Cheers
1)it totally depends on YOU!
2)taxis are not so expensive,alternativly u can hire a full time driver, n u can get one for SR800 to 1000 (per month) easily.
3)1L of milk = 4SAR, im not sure abt plasma bt let me tell u abt LCD's
SAMSUNG: 40 inch = 4,000 (series4)
clothes are cheap,bt i dun hav any idea for kids!
4) yeah there are places for pre-schoolers!