Reload this Page >

Help! criminal record - work in abu dhabi

Help! criminal record - work in abu dhabi

Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:29 am
Just Joined

nicola_stoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help! criminal record - work in abu dhabi

Can somebody please help me!

I am due to start work in the UAE in a months time.

I had my car stolen about a year ago now and i had been out on a night out and returned to be arrested! The guy who stole my cars mum gave evidence saying that she saw me driving the car, i was convicted in court for drink driving but appealed the decision which was accepted and the case is due in crown court a few days before i leave the UK. My solictor now has evidence that it wasnt me and cut a long story short i will be made innocent when the hearing is heard. (its so frustrating when you havent done anything wrong!)

I have been asked by my employer to get a statutory declaration relating to having no previous criminal convictions, which has to be declared by a solictor.

Do I declare i have no criminal convictions? If i do will the UAE / embassy check my criminal record before i go?

If I am found guilty will this ruin all my chances of going? as my employer will not accept people with a criminal record!

Finally if i do declare i have no criminal convictions, and i find out i have (because im not sure if i have yet due to the appeal) can the embassy find out and this ruin my chances of getting a working visa across there?

PLEASE HELP! im really confused!

Many Thanks

N x
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! criminal record - work in abu dhabi

Why not tell your prospective employers the full story. Honesty may be your best policy. If the appeal fails then you would not probably have been granted a work permit anyway, so you have very little to lose it seems.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nicola_stoke

I had my car stolen about a year ago now and i had been out on a night out and returned to be arrested! The guy who stole my cars mum gave evidence saying that she saw me driving the car, i was convicted in court for drink driving but appealed the decision which was accepted and the case is due in crown court a few days before i leave the UK. My solictor now has evidence that it wasnt me and cut a long story short i will be made innocent when the hearing is heard. (its so frustrating when you havent done anything wrong!)

I have been asked by my employer to get a statutory declaration relating to having no previous criminal convictions, which has to be declared by a solictor.

Do I declare i have no criminal convictions? If i do will the UAE / embassy check my criminal record before i go?

If I am found guilty will this ruin all my chances of going? as my employer will not accept people with a criminal record!

Finally if i do declare i have no criminal convictions, and i find out i have (because im not sure if i have yet due to the appeal) can the embassy find out and this ruin my chances of getting a working visa across there?

Many Thanks

N x
Keep mum.. if you get busted by your employer.. get drunk, steal a car and head for the airport
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

What you actually tell your employer is a matter for you morally, however the problem wont be here it'll be if they find out in the UK that the statutory declaration is false.

At present you do have a criminal offence. If you make a statutory declaration that you do not then you have committed perjury and if you get caught in the UK then you are in the sh!t.

Best bet IMHO would be to come clean with employer....
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

australiamaybe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nicola_stoke

Many Thanks

N x
No foreign country can check your UK police record. The only way is for you to apply for a disclosure notice through UK Police station and hand it over too them.

So forget it and declare you have no convictions. UAE immigration is not interested to ask about this and it is not your future employers business.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:20 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=australiamaybe;7278644]No foreign country can check your UK police record. The only way is for you to apply for a disclosure notice through UK Police station and hand it over too them.

So forget it and declare you have no convictions. UAE immigration is not interested to ask about this and it is not your future employers business.

May I ask how you know this?

May I ask what your advice to the OP might be if she buys a car in UAE and seeks insurance
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Eva;7278716]
Originally Posted by australiamaybe
No foreign country can check your UK police record. The only way is for you to apply for a disclosure notice through UK Police station and hand it over too them.

May I ask how you know this?

May I ask what your advice to the OP might be if she buys a car in UAE and seeks insurance
I found out about the disclosure issue when I was applying for my Australian residency direct from the UK Police. If you check out various website resources you can find out who can and who cannot find out about UK convictions and foreign governments are most definitely off the list, (unless you deliver it).

If you are going to work in child care environment in UK the police will disclose to the employer but otherwise not.

Of course if you are a terrorist suspect no doubt they will share info with interpol etc, but UK Police will not disclose normal convictions.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:53 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=australiamaybe;7278808]
Originally Posted by Eva

I found out about the disclosure issue when I was applying for my Australian residency direct from the UK Police. If you check out various website resources you can find out who can and who cannot find out about UK convictions and foreign governments are most definitely off the list, (unless you deliver it).

If you are going to work in child care environment in UK the police will disclose to the employer but otherwise not.

Of course if you are a terrorist suspect no doubt they will share info with interpol etc, but UK Police will not disclose normal convictions.
Thank You.
And the second part .....what would you advise her to do if she buys a car and seeks insurance in Dubai
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Eva;7278822]

Thank You.
And the second part .....what would you advise her to do if she buys a car and seeks insurance in Dubai
what is the issue?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:00 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=australiamaybe;7278828]
Originally Posted by Eva

what is the issue?
Should she continue the lie....i.e to Axa or Royal when looking for insurance
Have you any idea how many expats fall foul becos of silly road traffic incidents?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Eva;7278837]

Should she continue the lie....i.e to Axa or Royal when looking for insurance
Have you any idea how many expats fall foul becos of silly road traffic incidents?

Where is the lie she will be presenting a UAE licence. If she hasn't got a British one to convert to UAE because the UK one has been revoked she needs to sit the test in UAE.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:10 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=australiamaybe;7278866]
Originally Posted by Eva

Where is the lie she will be presenting a UAE licence. If she hasn't got a British one to convert to UAE because the UK one has been revoked she needs to sit the test in UAE.
Oh right.
Thanks.

To the OP, I would say don't hide anything.
As it stands, you actually have a conviction
Your timeline between the appeal and starting in UAE is too tight
to get everything sorted.Plus do you really want to start a new
life always looking over your shoulder?
It seems as you present the facts you got a bad cut of the cards
Only you can decide what to tell the Employer
Good luck

Last edited by Eva; Feb 12th 2009 at 6:19 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Eva;7278876]

Oh right.
Thanks.

To the OP, I would say don't hide anything.
As it stands, you actually have a conviction
Your timeline between the appeal and starting in UAE is too tight
to get everything sorted.Plus do you really want to start a new
life always looking over your shoulder?
It seems as you present the facts you got a bad cut of the cards
Only you can decide what to tell the Employer
Good luck
Bad advice or what is this looking over your shoulder nonsense.

To OP don't let mindless paranoia get the better of you. Find out the facts from the proper authorities and take the most appropriate action. Don't shoot yourself with unecessary admissions and don't hang decisions on forum advice.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:33 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree entirely -she shouldn't make her decision based on my comments or
these comments, recognise them?:

''So forget it and declare you have no convictions. UAE immigration is not interested to ask about this and it is not your future employers business.''

It is for the OP to judge the quality of advice.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:38 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassypilotswife
Keep mum.. if you get busted by your employer.. get drunk, steal a car and head for the airport
This is an idiotic response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.