British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Help - contract negotiations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/help-contract-negotiations-477424/)

maranelloman Aug 28th 2007 2:49 pm

Help - contract negotiations

Currently negotiating with an employer in saudi on a new permie role. To cut a long story short the package is less than I was expecting. Basically:

1. Salary much less than I originally stated I was looking for.
2. Housing only 2/3 of what I will need for a reasonable villa in compound.
3. No schooling allowance.

Its not a junior role but section head, so I would expect the package to match. Now i dont know if theyr are simply starting low to allow for negotiation, or if wires were crossed at some point. Do you think based on your negotiations that we will find a middle ground or are they wasting my time.

Thanks.

Blue Cat Aug 28th 2007 2:55 pm

Re: Help - contract negotiations

get back to them and tell them it just aint acceptable. They should be providing you with accomodation and if you are on married status, school fees etc etc. Good luck and don't back down. :thumbsup:

maranelloman Aug 28th 2007 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5244722)
get back to them and tell them it just aint acceptable. They should be providing you with accomodation and if you are on married status, school fees etc etc. Good luck and don't back down. :thumbsup:

BC - Always the first to reply, and thanks once again! :thumbup:

They will need to increase the salary by 70% to meet what I really wanted! Does anyone think this is possible?

I dont think figure wise i am being unrealistic as I am already on more that that. But the bonus will be the expenses paid and the money bonus (3 months salary) which i have not included in my figures.

IndieG Aug 28th 2007 3:09 pm

If it is Saudi - you will get what you ask....... think no one wants to go there:unsure:

Blue Cat Aug 28th 2007 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by maranelloman (Post 5244761)
BC - Always the first to reply, and thanks once again! :thumbup:

They will need to increase the salary by 70% to meet what I really wanted! Does anyone think this is possible?

I dont think figure wise i am being unrealistic as I am already on more that that. But the bonus will be the expenses paid and the money bonus (3 months salary) which i have not included in my figures.

be careful with bonuses, the one we were due this year never materialised. 70% seems a massive jump. PM what you have been offered.

oktoberon Aug 28th 2007 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5244780)
be careful with bonuses, the one we were due this year never materialised. 70% seems a massive jump. PM what you have been offered.

BC is right, bonuses are an item thjat should never be taken into account. If they come great.

At the end of the day, if, they want you they will pay. You must insist on full housing, full education and most of all 100% medical cover for you and family (try to negotiate world wide) Good luck:)

maranelloman Aug 28th 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5244842)
BC is right, bonuses are an item thjat should never be taken into account. If they come great.

At the end of the day, if, they want you they will pay. You must insist on full housing, full education and most of all 100% medical cover for you and family (try to negotiate world wide) Good luck:)

Thanks people. Other comments and experience most welcome.

I always look at bonuses as exactly what it says on the tin. Its a bonus. Never take it into my salary.

I know a 70% jump is a lot, but im not willing to take less. If as indiegirl says, maybe im the only mug to take the role. Hopefully it wont be too hard for them to swallow.

Medical cover is included. As is business class tickets there and back and one for holidays per year.

Madam Medusa Aug 28th 2007 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by maranelloman (Post 5244880)
Thanks people. Other comments and experience most welcome.

I always look at bonuses as exactly what it says on the tin. Its a bonus. Never take it into my salary.

I know a 70% jump is a lot, but im not willing to take less. If as indiegirl says, maybe im the only mug to take the role. Hopefully it wont be too hard for them to swallow.

it does sound like they are triyng it on. The thing is, how desparate are you for the job, are you willing to take a pay cut? If not, then you have nothing to lose by playing hard ball...i would for sure.

MM, xx

Inselaffen Aug 28th 2007 3:59 pm

Just repeat to them what you are looking for. If they don't then come up pretty close to those figures then you will know that they are wasting your time.

Unfortuantely, I took a pretty low salary out here because I was coming off a 2.5 year break out of my industry and then when I moved companies out here I was again in a poor bargaining position because I really had to get out of the dodgy company I was working for.

give it another year and lll then be able to insist on an improved package (I hope)

Madam Medusa Aug 28th 2007 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5245021)
give it another year and lll then be able to insist on an improved package (I hope)

well you'll get a smacked bum if you don't....

MM, xx

Inselaffen Aug 28th 2007 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5245048)
well you'll get a smacked bum if you don't....

MM, xx

probably get broken legs when i do though :rofl: