British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hello again - shipping to Dubai... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hello-again-shipping-dubai-615561/)

LittleMermaid Jun 18th 2009 4:47 pm

Hello again - shipping to Dubai...

Hello again guys,

Well the move is quickly approaching, haven't been on in a while as life has turned into a hurricane with finishing everything off here and getting ready to move out to Dubai. Have opened a international bank account and waiting for my qualification to be returned by the commonwealth office. Just wondering if any of you can recommend a shipping company for Dubai. I'm not sure if its worth my while??!! got a box of books for work next year that i would love to take over but its far too heavy to take in my luggage. would i be better taking some of it and get others to bring it over bit by bit when they come and visit or mail it to myself?? Its about 30-35kg....still to finalize its contents.

any words of wisdom would be gratefully appreciated......

Little mermaid :)

Hello.Kitty Jun 18th 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Hello again - shipping to Dubai...

The shipping company we used (Doree Bonner - really recommend them) does by the cubic meter... tbh, if you're only bringing over books and don't need them all at once, just pop a few in your luggage and ask friends to take some over. We did this when my daughter and I came back to the UK for the extended summer.

You get 20kg of luggage and 10kg of hand luggage, although laptops (and the contents of a laptop bag) don't count as hand luggage for some reason. Nor do baby change bags, but for that, you need to have a baby somewhere in proximity. :o

LittleMermaid Jun 18th 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks.

Think i will try and get as many of them as possible into my luggage. Just been on the BA website and i have 23kg of checked baggage, and 2 pieces of hand luggage. Must be the right size but can be any weight as long as i can lift it over my head, best get down the gym. Also you can add a bag for £72 which is surprising. All is not lost. I'll pass on your shipping company to one of the other girls however as she has LOADS of stuff to get over and shipping seems to be her only choice.

Thanks again.

Manda.

954RR Jun 19th 2009 8:33 am

Manda

If you have not yet booked your flight and you have a choice Emirates allow a 30Kgs suitcase.
Plus on arrival you can buy up to 4 litres of booze at duty free so fill your boots. :thumbsup:

Hello.Kitty Jun 19th 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7679640)
If you have not yet booked your flight and you have a choice Emirates allow a 30Kgs suitcase.

We flew Emirates too... although just looking now, it would seem that they've changed their allowances.

From their site:

Checked-in luggage:
Maximum allowance per passenger 30 kgs
These allowances apply for adults and children over two years old.
Dubai Civil Aviation prohibits the acceptance of any one piece of baggage weighing more than 32 kgs (71 lbs), into, out of or via Dubai International Airport.

Hand luggage:
Weight must not exceed 7 kg (15 lbs). Duty free purchases of liquor, cigarettes and perfume in reasonable quantities are also permitted in addition to the above.

Euc- Jun 19th 2009 2:07 pm

Never had trouble with Emirates, and they recently upped their allowances so economy gets 30, business 40 and first 50kg!

And if you have skywards silver or gold you'll get even more on top of that, I believe I can take 16kg extra (gold).

ipods Jun 19th 2009 2:29 pm

Emirates charge £25 per Kg over the allowance so take care.

Sometimes they turn a blind eye, other times you get stung

mattindubai Jun 19th 2009 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ipods (Post 7680474)
Emirates charge £25 per Kg over the allowance so take care.

Sometimes they turn a blind eye, other times you get stung

Normally they are fine as long as you are not massively over the weight limit

LittleMermaid Jun 20th 2009 1:25 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately I have already booked my flight with BA. As much as i wanted to book with emirates because they are fab and the baggage allowance is more they were priced £123 more than BA!!! So went for the cheaper option. Trying to convince a friend to fly out with me for a week’s holiday and bring the rest of my stuff in her luggage.

Little Mermaid.:D