Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

DolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really nice
Smile Re: Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Originally Posted by madmidwife
Hi Dolphinfriend,

I plan to work in Jeddah all being well. Any information you can give would be welcome. Don't worry about people being unwelcoming because of your choice of clothing. I was in a hairdresser on Saturday and a lady from Somalia was having her hair done. When she was finished she put on her hejjab and left the salon, no-one even blinked. You will meet all sorts of people and hopefully give them exposure to something different.Most institutions have a nondenomination prayer room so you should be able to pray as needed. Lectures can be in note form or you can get a recorder to tape whilst you are out, maybe even get another student to take notes for you. I used to take notes for fellow students who were not able to attend particular lectures. I have members of my family who are muslim (most are non-practicing). My late step-grandfather was muslim - Saheed was his name. Everytime we visited him he would take out the holy book and say prayers for us - we are christian. We loved him, he loved us - religion was not an issue and it shouldn't be.

1st sorry because am being late sometimes in replying, being back to work and meetings
thank you so much for the info you provided
Jeddah & Riyadh are being the best cities in the kingdom, I mean concerning the availability of the facilities, best hospitals, best malls, institutes.. etc
People here in Jeddah are more open than people in Riyadh..
So many expats are living here ..
the only thing that I dislike about Jeddah is the weather, its hot most of the year..
we have some gyms here, im a member in the gold's gym which I consider the best
we have international schools, where they teach in English
lots of restaurants here such as Chilies, Friday's, Applebee's, MacDonald's
I hope this will help
Best luck
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:24 pm

LeicesterKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Salaam sister.

I admire you for the answers you have given. I agree with you 100%.

I love Saudi Arabia a lot, I have been there 4 times (1 Hajj 2 Omrah and 1 visit). Inshallah my aim is to find job in the field of Project Management and live there.

Take care.

Ma Salama.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

DolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really nice

Originally Posted by LeicesterKid
Salaam sister.

I admire you for the answers you have given. I agree with you 100%.

I love Saudi Arabia a lot, I have been there 4 times (1 Hajj 2 Omrah and 1 visit). Inshallah my aim is to find job in the field of Project Management and live there.

Take care.

Ma Salama.
walykum assalam brother,
thanks for your nice words
i hope Allah will help you to fulfill your wish, to be able to find job here
are you born Muslim or new Muslim?

have a nice day
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:32 pm

LeicesterKid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DolphinFriend
are you born Muslim or new Muslim?
Thanks.

Alhamdullilah I was born a Muslim, my ancestors were also Muslim, our origins are mixed, but my ancestors came to the UK long time ago.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
When I worked in Jeddah, the Saudis I met were complaining that their daughters were not given the same access to science, technology and engineering course at schools and colleges as their male conterparts...maybe this has changed. As for those punishments, don't you agree that cutting off the hand (or worse) of someone who steals because he needs to feed his family is somewhat draconian, my dear? Also, how would you feel if your brother was wrongly accused of a crime and was beheaded...please don't tell me that the courts' judgements are always right. After all, they all comprise human beings who are bound to make occasional mistakes...sadly, a beheading cannot be rectified.
Hello
sorry for taking long time to add more info as i promised
i asked a Scholar, she talked about a saying for Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him am gonna explain its meaning.. he taught us that we should seek suspicions before applying the punishment, any single doubt should omit the sentence(beheading), means if there is one single doubt that this person who is being accused of killing another can be innocent, he shouldn’t be beheaded at all..
Daddy added that there are conditions for applying beheading,
1)-killing the person with a heavy tool
2)- killing with a tool that is being known to be used for killing like the sword
3)- killing intentionally…
beheading shouldn’t be applied if :
1)_the tool was not known to be used for killing like the stick..
2)- if the killer killed unintentionally..
3)_ if the killer was not yet adult..

cutting off the hand..
Daddy said if he is poor & hungry, he shouldn’t have his hand cut off
He told me that during the time of Omar Bin Al Khattab( one of Prophet Muhammad companions), he was the ruler & during a year when people were starving , he omitted stealing punishment during that year..

So you can see that Islamic punishments are to protect the society.. if a killer knows that his punishment will be easy , he will kill.. but if he knows that he will be beheaded if he kills then he may change his mind..
At the same time, Islamic punishments should be applied carefully with conditions as I mentioned above..

I apologize again for taking longer time to answer..
I would like to thank you very much for your questions coz you made me asked, learned new things and share what I have learned with you and whoever read this ..

May God Bless you

Last edited by DolphinFriend; Jan 31st 2008 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

yoyo92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Salam aleykoum sister,

I am really happy to hear all your good words about Saudi culture and Islamic rules and I totally agree with u.

When it comes to my personal situation, my family and I, are about to move to Al Khobar, inshallah. I got an offer from Saudi Aramco and we will probably live in Ras tanura.

Have you heard about the Aramco compounds / or that region of Saudi Arabia? is it nice?

Looking forward to hearing from you, inshallah.

Maa salama,
Yoyo92.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yoyo92
Salam aleykoum sister,

I am really happy to hear all your good words about Saudi culture and Islamic rules and I totally agree with u.

When it comes to my personal situation, my family and I, are about to move to Al Khobar, inshallah. I got an offer from Saudi Aramco and we will probably live in Ras tanura.

Have you heard about the Aramco compounds / or that region of Saudi Arabia? is it nice?

Looking forward to hearing from you, inshallah.

Maa salama,
Yoyo92.
walykum assalam brother,

thank you for your nice words..
actually have never been in these cities you mentioned, but concerning Aramco i do consider it #1, so probably the compounds are excellent..
may Allah be with you, make Estikhara prayer and go on..

Good Luck
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dolphin Friend

Thanks for the post.
It is very interesting to read about how people live, and how they feel.
Not many people get the chance to find out what your views are.

(your views = the views of a Saudi girl)
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seven seas
Hi Dolphin Friend

Thanks for the post.
It is very interesting to read about how people live, and how they feel.
Not many people get the chance to find out what your views are.

(your views = the views of a Saudi girl)
Hi
thanks for the beautiful reply
i am so glad to let people know about my culture
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:45 am
Just Joined

bigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nice

I have read with interest all the posts on this subject.

My family and I have only been in Saudi for 5 weeks and previous to that we were in Doha and already we have decided that Saudi (we live in Al Khobar) is a far better place to live than Doha. The local people are far, far friendlier and corteous than the locals in Doha and both my daughters and I feel much safer here than we did in Doha. There are no men leering at you when you head outside, woman aren't being raped within walking distance of malls.
Yes, there are restrictions but so far we haven't came accross any that have affected us.
When we told people in Doha that we were coming here most recoiled in horror at the thought - despite the fact that none had ever been here and didn't know what it was like. Security checks and baggage checks are unfortunately a way of life now and not just in Saudi. We also had a posting in Jakarta for a few years and we had the same there (but not only in housing compounds and schools - we had them in malls, small shops, supermarkets).
Unfortunately when we go back home on vacation we hear people talking on how 'all' muslims are bad. ThIs is not the case - yes there is a minority willing to cause havoc but the same can also be said about westerners.
My children are definately safer here and they are loving it and we certainly do not have any desire to leave here in the very near future.
Before I finish - can I just say a big thank you to all the Saudi's who have made us feel very welcome here. It's a pity some other ME countries can't take a leaf out of your book.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

dubaipm is an unknown quantity at this point

I just joined this site a few minutes ago!
I am a British muslim from Arab origin living in Dubai for 12 years and just moving to Jeddah (KSA). In general, Saudi people are very friendly, helpful and very much respecting others. Saudi Arabia is surely a safer place than any westren country or even than Dubai with a crime rate on the rise there.
Making friends in Jeddah may be easier than Dubai (not sure!).......I invite any expat living or lived before in Dubai to advise if he/she managed to make social friendship with Emarates! I do not think so.
Here in Jeddah, anyone can advise me on the best way to make friends?
I was reading all replies by the Saudi Girl and must admire her for all great and prompt responses......may Allah (swt) bless you.
Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

muhammak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,
I got very useful info here...
I myself moving to Riyadh by the end of this month, got job there.
I wanna know about comparison between living outside and living in a compound?
Well originally I am from Pakistan and currently in Holland and i'm muslim. I used to live in Dubai in a common residential area (not a compound or western living areas). what I would like to know that living outside compund in Saudi is like in Dubai or different? Of course I know that my wife cannot go outside alone and she has to be in Abaya (which she already does)....

Although I can afford to live in a compund but would it be a worth to pay more if I can get the same or even better house/apartment outside much cheaper....

I appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by muhammak
Hello All,
I got very useful info here...
I myself moving to Riyadh by the end of this month, got job there.
I wanna know about comparison between living outside and living in a compound?
Well originally I am from Pakistan and currently in Holland and i'm muslim. I used to live in Dubai in a common residential area (not a compound or western living areas). what I would like to know that living outside compund in Saudi is like in Dubai or different? Of course I know that my wife cannot go outside alone and she has to be in Abaya (which she already does)....

Although I can afford to live in a compund but would it be a worth to pay more if I can get the same or even better house/apartment outside much cheaper....

Regards,
Having done both countries, although in Jeddah rather than Riyadh, my view is that if you are a Muslim couple, you should have no problem living outside a compound. From my limited experience, I would say that Saudi compounds are ideally suited for western, alcohol consuming Christians who would be unable to cope outside. For what they actually provide, Saudi compounds are very expensive. You would get a much larger and smarter villa outside for much less.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:03 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
From my limited experience, I would say that Saudi compounds are ideally suited for western, alcohol consuming Christians who would be unable to cope outside.
From what I've seen, the easiest way to be alcohol consuming whilst living in Saudi is to spend most weekends in Dubai/Bahrain/etc...

Maybe I'm just naive
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

muhammak is an unknown quantity at this point

ok..thats good ..

one different thing..I have Duabi driving license. Can I get Saudi license by exchanging it or do i need to go for test and normal procedure?

If I get Dutch license from here...will that be more useful?

Regards,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.