Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

DolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really nice
Lightbulb Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Hello
Well, since I joined this forum, I noticed that whenever some1 started a thread with questions concerning Saudi Arabia "most" of the members who are replying frighten him/her!!!!
It makes me feel sick every time I see this..
And when I try to help this person, telling him/her that am Saudi and willing to help, most of the times I don’t even get the word "thank you" for trying to help , this word that any human normally would say it if some1 show him a help..
I don’t actually try to help to wait for some1 to thank me, but when ppl just ignore your help you feel that they are must be frightened from you!!!
May be afraid to even say a word!!!!
Come on am not a monster!!

Talking about my culture to be fair,I wont say that its perfect, as no one's culture is being perfect..
I understand how people who are coming here find it totally different culture, and am speaking here about women specifically, as they cant drive, they cannt walk in streets without putting on abayia (the body cover), but they are the rules of the country as any country in the world has its right to put whatever rules they wanna put..
People here differs like any country.. you can find good and bad people.. but for those who have been here and met bad people I think its not fair at all to say "Oh Saudi people are BAD"!!!!

Am 26 years old girl , but would you like to hear my opinion about what I have heard of your cultures and what is "my" opinion?
As I wish to complete my master and PhD degrees in USA or UK, have been asking so many friends who have been to these 2 countries.. many friends who have been to UK said British people are "not friendly" and that they wont treat me good if am not rich!!
And for those who have been to the States, they said Americans would annoy you beause you are a Muslim girl!!
This is what they said…look what is "my" opinion..
I think there are lots of British and Americans who are so nice, and if it will occur while am being one day in one of these two countries that I met 100 bad people I wont think its fair to "judge" a whole culture of millions of people by those 100 bad people..
Also I have respect for each human being, regardless from which country he is, regardless of his belief!! I have friends from different countries online and here in my country, from different beliefs.. Jewish, Christians, pagans.. we are learning from each other, and try to bridge the gab between our cultures..

i know there are bad people who are saying they are Muslims or Saudis but I don’t think they are neither…they only represent their "wrong" way of thinking and people around the world should be fair when it comes to judge a culture.
i feel am responsible to change this..since I graduated from the college have been trying along three years till now to help change things..
am here to help people and this is I think a step to put my beliefs and wishes in action..

am posting this thread to say beside the above ,"again"if any1 would like to ask questions concerning coming here I will absolutely do my best to help
I thank every1 who read this ..
With peace and respect ..
Dolphin Friend
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

DolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really niceDolphinFriend is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Originally Posted by Manc
are you fit?
Bro Manc,
1st thanks for reading my post
am very well, enjoying good health, Thanks God.
if you have question concerning coming to Saudi Arabia i can "Politely answer you", if you dont, Enjoy Christmas..
Merry Christams to you and your family

Last edited by DolphinFriend; Dec 25th 2007 at 11:36 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:36 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

I must say I have enjoyed working with the Saudis I've interacted with so far. Life isn't easy for many people in the Kingdom, but then that's one reason I'm there.

Generalisations are only useful up to the point you don't need to rely on them.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:50 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to disappoint you but the fact that nineteen of the 9/11 bombers were of Saudi nationality will take years to be erased from the memory of many westerners. Also, why does your ruler prevent non-Muslims from visiting Mecca and Madinah when you guys are free to visit the Vatican whenever you wish? Your country's intolerance of non-Islamic culture is a pain in the ass. Just a few observations. As for me personally, I spent nearly eight years working in Saudi and found the locals to be reasonably friendly.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I have found pretty much all the Saudi's Ive met to be very friendly. More so than Emiratis.

However, the rules in Saudi are going to give other people a bad impression about Saudi citizens. Its about time Saudi changed. The people obviously want it judged by how they live their lives when they visit Bahrain, Dubai etc.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Hear it..from a Saudi girl!!

Originally Posted by typical
I must say I have enjoyed working with the Saudis I've interacted with so far. Life isn't easy for many people in the Kingdom, but then that's one reason I'm there.

Generalisations are only useful up to the point you don't need to rely on them.

am glad you enjoyed working here
i agree with you life is not easy, its wise of you tho to focus in your aim of coming..
they said if you have an aim you wanna achieve dont look at the obstacles..

thank you for your reply
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:42 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

good post and a fair point, but it still doesnt change the fact that most of the people i know who have worked/lived in saudi wouldnt go back no matter what you paid them.
checking for bombs, varying routes to work not being welcome in souqs and armed compound guards are not normal in any decent place to live. state legislated religious intolerence is also not normal in any resonable place to live.
it also doesnt help when saudis visit the rest of the gulf at weekends and holidays and spend their time drinking and whoring, to name but one example i have a few bahraini friends who are really really sick of it and would frankly rather be poor than have saudis visit bahrain anymore
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sorry to disappoint you but the fact that nineteen of the 9/11 bombers were of Saudi nationality will take years to be erased from the memory of many westerners. Also, why does your ruler prevent non-Muslims from visiting Mecca and Madinah when you guys are free to visit the Vatican whenever you wish? Your country's intolerance of non-Islamic culture is a pain in the ass. Just a few observations. As for me personally, I spent nearly eight years working in Saudi and found the locals to be reasonably friendly.

i understand about 9/11..if you want the truth its wallahi painful for me as well, feeling that those we lost are my brothers and sisters in humanity, but what's our fault?.. those who did it don't represent all Saudi's here.. can you imagine it that i stopped watching the news in TV!! coz i couldn't stand watching wars, i couldn't stand watching people killing each other..it made me cry so many times and had nightmares..
about visiting Makkah and Madinah, they are rules of the country..
people from different beliefs in my opinion should get along, and my country is not against this i think..
glad you found locals friendly
thanks for your reply
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I have found pretty much all the Saudi's Ive met to be very friendly. More so than Emiratis.

However, the rules in Saudi are going to give other people a bad impression about Saudi citizens. Its about time Saudi changed. The people obviously want it judged by how they live their lives when they visit Bahrain, Dubai etc.
glad to hear you found Saudi's you met very friendly
i understand about rules here..
thanks for your reply
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiva
good post and a fair point, but it still doesnt change the fact that most of the people i know who have worked/lived in saudi wouldnt go back no matter what you paid them.
checking for bombs, varying routes to work not being welcome in souqs and armed compound guards are not normal in any decent place to live. state legislated religious intolerence is also not normal in any resonable place to live.
it also doesnt help when saudis visit the rest of the gulf at weekends and holidays and spend their time drinking and whoring, to name but one example i have a few bahraini friends who are really really sick of it and would frankly rather be poor than have saudis visit bahrain anymore
well, i wil tell you why i think some wont think of coming back here, because they were here for an aim, increasing their income, if they achieved it then that's it, they go back home they are most welcome of course to come back but they say east or west home is best..
i have never seen an expats in a mall here being annoyed and not welcome, i see them walk and buy things easily like any1 else.. i have no idea about compounds coz i have never been to any here..
about Saudi's visiting the gulf and doing what you mentioned, wallahi its painful.. i believe the person should be the same everywhere, my brother lived in Canada before but never drink or do any thing against his beliefs, he was focusing in his study only.. again how many are they, 100?1000? compared to over 16,000 000? i hope God will guide them..
thanks for your reply
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I too hope that god will help them, some more directly than others!
however it is up to the citizens of a country to change what is bad not just say "well hey most of us are alright people"
the same dislike you say you will experience in America or the Uk is what the large proportion of expats feel in Saudi.
As for malls, yes I've not heard of any trouble there, but souqs, yes i know a few people who have had their lives threatened in souqs.

keep posting here as your views will be a welcome change and maybe we can get some insight from a nationals perspective, but there are negative posts here because alot of people have had a negative experience. That said there are some who have had postive ones and actually prefer living in the kingdom.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiva
I too hope that god will help them, some more directly than others!
however it is up to the citizens of a country to change what is bad not just say "well hey most of us are alright people"
the same dislike you say you will experience in America or the Uk is what the large proportion of expats feel in Saudi.
As for malls, yes I've not heard of any trouble there, but souqs, yes i know a few people who have had their lives threatened in souqs.
keep posting here as your views will be a welcome change and maybe we can get some insight from a nationals perspective, but there are negative posts here because alot of people have had a negative experience. That said there are some who have had postive ones and actually prefer living in the kingdom.
well, we are trying to change things, we cant make all ppl good, we just try to plant seeds, God will take care of it
malls=souqs..and as i told you have never seen anything bad goining on there, but if you know those ppl you are talking about am really sorry 4 wt they have expierianced..

thanks again
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DolphinFriend
i understand about 9/11..if you want the truth its wallahi painful for me as well, feeling that those we lost are my brothers and sisters in humanity, but what's our fault?.. those who did it don't represent all Saudi's here.. can you imagine it that i stopped watching the news in TV!! coz i couldn't stand watching wars, i couldn't stand watching people killing each other..it made me cry so many times and had nightmares..
about visiting Makkah and Madinah, they are rules of the country..
people from different beliefs in my opinion should get along, and my country is not against this i think..
glad you found locals friendly
thanks for your reply
What you say probably represents the views of a good proportion of educated Saudis, especially those who have been to the USA to study, but sadly the adequacy of your education system lets you down badly, especially where girls are concerned. As a consequence, there seems to be a high percentage of poorly educated and even illiterate Saudis holding influential positions. As for the rules of your country, why not try and change them? How about allowing women more rights and abolishing decapitation, floggings and stonings?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
What you say probably represents the views of a good proportion of educated Saudis, especially those who have been to the USA to study, but sadly the adequacy of your education system lets you down badly, especially where girls are concerned. As a consequence, there seems to be a high percentage of poorly educated and even illiterate Saudis holding influential positions. As for the rules of your country, why not try and change them? How about allowing women more rights and abolishing decapitation, floggings and stonings?

1st have not been to the States yet, i hope God will ease it soon..
i dont like our educational system.. and its being the same for guys and girls.. its just that they are being separated..
nowadays, Knowledge is very easy to reach.. through reading books, attending courses & conferences..
well, as a girl i think i can have whatever i want here except driving, its not against Islam to drive but its only about the culture here, the society is not being prepared for this to happen. I think this will take time..
but i will absolutely do it once i get the chance to travel outside..
about decapitation, floggings and stonings, well, those are the punishments for those who kill and do evil things...
they are Islamic rules, that i do respect as a Muslim and in my opinion, these rules will decrease evil..

thanks for your comments
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DolphinFriend

1st have not been to the States yet, i hope God will ease it soon..
i dont like our educational system.. and its being the same for guys and girls.. its just that they are being separated..
about decapitation, floggings and stonings, well, those are the punishments for those who kill and do evil things...
thanks for your comments
When I worked in Jeddah, the Saudis I met were complaining that their daughters were not given the same access to science, technology and engineering course at schools and colleges as their male conterparts...maybe this has changed. As for those punishments, don't you agree that cutting off the hand (or worse) of someone who steals because he needs to feed his family is somewhat draconian, my dear? Also, how would you feel if your brother was wrongly accused of a crime and was beheaded...please don't tell me that the courts' judgements are always right. After all, they all comprise human beings who are bound to make occasional mistakes...sadly, a beheading cannot be rectified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.