Reload this Page >

Health insurance and selling the Pajero

Health insurance and selling the Pajero

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance and selling the Pajero

Weird title, but it does cover the two issues I have questions for:

1) my company is canceling health insurance as a cost-saving measure. Any suggestions as to what are the good health insurance policies I can look into that will cover me both here and in the US (my home base although I do have UK citizenship as well, but as we all know, NHS doesn't apply in the US).

2) although I have a job with some degree of security (notwithstanding the loss of health insurance, a 10% pay cut, and 20% staff layoff last month), I have decided to sell the Pajero which I bought in November, 2008, just as a security precaution in case things really do go into the crapper for me.

My total expenditure on the car (car price, insurance plus interest on the loan paid to date) is 95,000.

I have found a buyer willing to pay 75,000 for the Pajero.

On face, it looks like a 20,000 AED loss to sell a four month old Pajero. However, had I not bought the car, I would have kept the monthly car rental at 2200 AED/month, which at 4 months is 8800 AED. So the actual real loss for selling the car is 11,000 AED, or roughly $3,000 USD.

Should I accept the offer? I figure if I survive and in 8 months' time the company is in a smaller and more sustainable position, there are going to be so many nearly new 4x4s floating around Dubai that I should be able to pick up a one year old Pajero for 60,000 or even less.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:02 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance and selling the Pajero

that's certainly the kind of loss that you get when you drive a new car off the forecourt, so not horrendous.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:22 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

1) my company is canceling health insurance as a cost-saving measure. Any suggestions as to what are the good health insurance policies I can look into that will cover me both here and in the US (my home base although I do have UK citizenship as well, but as we all know, NHS doesn't apply in the US).

2) although I have a job with some degree of security (notwithstanding the loss of health insurance, a 10% pay cut, and 20% staff layoff last month), I have decided to sell the Pajero which I bought in November, 2008, just as a security precaution in case things really do go into the crapper for me.

My total expenditure on the car (car price, insurance plus interest on the loan paid to date) is 95,000.

On face, it looks like a 20,000 AED loss to sell a four month old Pajero. However, had I not bought the car, I would have kept the monthly car rental at 2200 AED/month, which at 4 months is 8800 AED. So the actual real loss for selling the car is 11,000 AED, or roughly $3,000 USD.

Should I accept the offer? I figure if I survive and in 8 months' time the company is in a smaller and more sustainable position, there are going to be so many nearly new 4x4s floating around Dubai that I should be able to pick up a one year old Pajero for 60,000 or even less.
I'd suggest accepting the offer for the Pajero as that is not a substantial loss on a new car, regardless of it being 4 months old.

However, I wouldn't hold out great hopes for really cheap cars in the future. Margins on new cars in this part of the world are generally slim and used car values don't move much despite changes in market conditions.

However, one thing to consider; do you need a car? You've already taken a hit on the Pajero which probably won't devalue much over the next 2-4 months. Rental cars are becoming more expensive. Do the maths...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

For the health insurance info, please PM me. Without knowing full circumstances, I cannot make a recomendation,

-
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

On the Health Insurance issue, wasn't there some regulation requiring that all employees be given Health Insurance from January 2009 or was that only in Abu Dhabi? On the car selling front, see if you can squeeze the buyer up to nearer 80K as it will probably cost you over 3,500 per month to rent another car of that size and quality.