British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Health Insurance Companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/health-insurance-companies-604887/)

Katrinab Apr 22nd 2009 12:59 pm

Health Insurance Companies

Does anyone know how much information you have to provide health insurance companies on medical claims?

The insurance company that I have health insurance through is demanding a complete breakdown of what is medically wrong with you. Does this not go against Patient Confidentiality?

Thanks

Grace O Malley Apr 22nd 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Health Insurance Companies

Originally Posted by Katrinab (Post 7503265)
Does anyone know how much information you have to provide health insurance companies on medical claims?

The insurance company that I have health insurance through is demanding a complete breakdown of what is medically wrong with you. Does this not go against Patient Confidentiality?

Thanks

lol doubt if they even know what that means, I recently had some tests done and they gave the results to someone other than me who was calling on my behalf to see if the results were through????

Meow Apr 22nd 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Katrinab (Post 7503265)

Thanks

If you want them to pay up, they will not unreasonably require full details of what is wrong with you. So many people forget that these companies are run as businesses, not as charities. Too many people think it clever to try and make false claims, so they have become stricter in requiring information before settling even valid claims.

-

Katrinab Apr 22nd 2009 1:35 pm

I fully understand it is a business. But it’s ridiculous they requested a full description of one of my colleague’s consultations to the gynecologist even though the receipt states consultation and pap smear. How can that not explanatory enough!

Where is the line drawn? Are there no specific laws here to protect patients?

Roadking Apr 22nd 2009 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Katrinab (Post 7503428)
Are there no specific laws here to protect patients?

Sorry, Kat, you crack me up.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Katrinab Apr 23rd 2009 5:33 am

I know I am clutching at straws but still a newbie here and stubborn as hell. I just have to remember where I am living I guess!

deemi786 Apr 23rd 2009 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Katrinab (Post 7503428)
I fully understand it is a business. But it’s ridiculous they requested a full description of one of my colleague’s consultations to the gynecologist even though the receipt states consultation and pap smear. How can that not explanatory enough!

Where is the line drawn? Are there no specific laws here to protect patients?

they're most probably trying to suss out if they can get away with not paying out..

Not everything is covered on some health plans...