British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Health care in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/health-care-dubai-866653/)

tee1 Oct 15th 2015 8:21 pm

Health care in Dubai

Hi All

This is my first time to the middle east section of the forum. I'm normally found browsing in Canada where I live (BC)
I've took a new job with a company based in Dubai but will be working in Oman and Dubai. It's all happened really fast and I leave next week so I'm rapidly packing and also trying to research.

My employer says once I have my residency card I can get public health care and I'm just wondering if this is adequate? What would it cover? I'm searching and searching on the tinterweb but this forum is so helpful for things like this.
I don't earn alot so this is more of an experience for me and I'd like to keep cost as low as possible whilst still having comprehensive medical care for emergencys and also a dental emergency like knocking teeth out etc.

I also still have my BC health for some coverage and will remain eligible for this whilst I'm away as I'll be returning in May next year.

Thankyou

mikewot Oct 16th 2015 4:41 am

Re: Health care in Dubai

??? Public health care? Residency card??? Your employer is pulling a fast one, it is compulsory for them to provide medical insurance.

mission Oct 18th 2015 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11773060)
??? Public health care? Residency card??? Your employer is pulling a fast one, it is compulsory for them to provide medical insurance.

yep I was going to say the same thing - they legally need to provide you with health care.

Meow Oct 18th 2015 10:29 am

The only exception - for the time being - is companies with fewer than 100 employees but that must provide medical cover for staff no later than June of next year.

There is no public health care as you know it. You can apply for a Government Health Card but that doesn't mean you don't pay for anything.

mission Oct 21st 2015 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11774116)
The only exception - for the time being - is companies with fewer than 100 employees but that must provide medical cover for staff no later than June of next year. There is no public health care as you know it. You can apply for a Government Health Card but that doesn't mean you don't pay for anything.

ah I thought it was June of this year

Meow Oct 21st 2015 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11776250)
ah I thought it was June of this year

Any plans renewing from June of this yer have to comply with the new rules so it does appear that way to many. :)

tee1 Oct 22nd 2015 8:20 am

Thanks, helpful to know. I'll buy travel insurance for a month I think and then try and source something from a local insurance provider.
Does anyone have a recommendation? Nothing fancy just enough in case it hits the fan I'm an adventure guide and alot of insurance where I live won't cover me full stop.
I'm hoping I can actually get something somewhere

Meow Oct 22nd 2015 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by tee1 (Post 11776982)
Thanks, helpful to know. I'll buy travel insurance for a month I think and then try and source something from a local insurance provider.
Does anyone have a recommendation? Nothing fancy just enough in case it hits the fan I'm an adventure guide and alot of insurance where I live won't cover me full stop.
I'm hoping I can actually get something somewhere

Drop me a line as I am authorised to advise on medical insurance (as well a host of other financial issues). it doesn't cost any extra to use a broker and saves a lot of hassle and legwork.

*points down* That's me. :)

mikewot Oct 22nd 2015 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11777212)
Drop me a line

I think most long term members of the bored would endorse Meow for her services.

tee1 Oct 22nd 2015 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11777212)
Drop me a line as I am authorised to advise on medical insurance (as well a host of other financial issues). it doesn't cost any extra to use a broker and saves a lot of hassle and legwork.

*points down* That's me. :)

Thanks, I will once I've arrived

Meow Oct 23rd 2015 10:48 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11777235)
I think most long term members of the bored would endorse Meow for her services.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: at the edit!

Cocoa1 Feb 14th 2016 11:26 am

Hello,
Im about to leave my job and medical but will still be in Dubai, now married and not working. Please do you have any info about the best medical provider?
Thanks

mikewot Feb 14th 2016 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Cocoa1 (Post 11867237)
Hello,
Im about to leave my job and medical but will still be in Dubai, now married and not working. Please do you have any info about the best medical provider?

See post #8

Cocoa1 Feb 14th 2016 11:38 am

Thanks. I would but I cant use the pm till Ive been on this site for a while. Do you have a contact for Meow please?

mikewot Feb 14th 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Cocoa1 (Post 11867244)
Thanks. I would but I cant use the pm till Ive been on this site for a while. Do you have a contact for Meow please?

:confused: See the link in her signature block.