Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Having personal relationship in Al Ain

Having personal relationship in Al Ain

Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having personal relationship in Al Ain

First time ever I heard of "being able to live illegally together" plays a part in considering a job option.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by HelenaRose
That's good! But did staying together before marriage a problem to you in Al Ain? I felt horrible when hearing that pre-marital sex or living together before marriage would make people in jail!
Lots of people do it, just be careful and mindful. Refer to each other as if you're married and don't be dickheads.

Either that or get married before you come. Romance eh.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Either that or get married before you come. Romance eh.
She is single, she is coming to Al Ain to find her one and only... or burn through a thousand lebbos via tinder. Could go either way.

Old Apr 30th 2020, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
She is single, she is coming to Al Ain to find her one and only... or burn through a thousand lebbos via tinder. Could go either way.
Al Ain Rotana has a Trader Vics. She needs to just head there and sit at the bar.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234
Believe it or not, I met my wife in Al Ain! We even got married there!
Wow that is a bit extreme! That's the kind of commitment it takes just to circumvent a bylaw?

On a more practical note;
Go to every event no matter how boring. (some boring people know interesting ones)
Ask a guy where he lives. (if the answer does not end in "compound" keep moving)
Compound living is much more free than general population but comes at a price.
Consider a weekend commute Abu Dhabi is a 2 hour drive.

Old Apr 30th 2020, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Al Ain Rotana has a Trader Vics. She needs to just head there and sit at the bar.
Scamp, I think she is just looking for some degree of normality, not a second job.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

HelenaRose is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice! I have little choice about security guard of my apartment, as my employer will provide me with free accommodation. Wearing a wedding ring seems to be an interesting idea. If Al Ain is conservative and traditional, I'll think of travelling to Dubai for each weekend.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not know what you are letting yourself in for.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
You do not know what you are letting yourself in for.
I know the traffic could be creepy. If I drive to Dubai, would it be easier?
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I know the traffic could be creepy. If I drive to Dubai, would it be easier?
It will be fine. You’re not going down for any of this ... unless that’s the objective of course.

Old May 1st 2020, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think one step at a time. If you take the job use the first month or two to acclimatize. If the idea of cohabitation being actually illegal seems a bit strange you have one heck of a monster culture shock all wrapped up waiting to explode in your face pretty sharpish I would imagine.

If your employer is providing the accommodation it might be for singles only. Some employers have different accommodation for singles and families. Be sure to tell everyone and their pet housemaid that you miss your husband and can't wait for him to join you there as soon as possible. Take note if they look at you strangely. Read the "house rules" and note what it might say about guests. Remember you are the servant and your boss/sponsor is your master. Their rules are not necessarily just for the sort of reasons you might imagine.

As for driving to Abu Dhabi and Dubai for the weekend, I'm sure you will, but parking yourself on a bar stool will likely have several interesting outcomes, most not especially good. Sad to say but I think a swim in shark infested water might be a safer, and yes there are plenty of real life horror stories, be careful, for your own sake, don't do anything alone and always have an exit plan. Whatever you do do might well result in you spending the next week getting the grease out.
Old May 1st 2020, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I think one step at a time. If you take the job use the first month or two to acclimatize. If the idea of cohabitation being actually illegal seems a bit strange you have one heck of a monster culture shock all wrapped up waiting to explode in your face pretty sharpish I would imagine.

If your employer is providing the accommodation it might be for singles only. Some employers have different accommodation for singles and families. Be sure to tell everyone and their pet housemaid that you miss your husband and can't wait for him to join you there as soon as possible. Take note if they look at you strangely. Read the "house rules" and note what it might say about guests. Remember you are the servant and your boss/sponsor is your master. Their rules are not necessarily just for the sort of reasons you might imagine.

As for driving to Abu Dhabi and Dubai for the weekend, I'm sure you will, but parking yourself on a bar stool will likely have several interesting outcomes, most not especially good. Sad to say but I think a swim in shark infested water might be a safer, and yes there are plenty of real life horror stories, be careful, for your own sake, don't do anything alone and always have an exit plan. Whatever you do do might well result in you spending the next week getting the grease out.
Thanks for these suggestions! Useful.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Adam69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice! I have little choice about security guard of my apartment, as my employer will provide me with free accommodation. Wearing a wedding ring seems to be an interesting idea. If Al Ain is conservative and traditional, I'll think of travelling to Dubai for each weekend.
don’t worry about it everyone’s doing it so just live ur life and enjoy all you can as long as ur not making it too obvious ur safe
Old Jul 8th 2020, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Adam69
don’t worry about it everyone’s doing it so just live ur life and enjoy all you can as long as ur not making it too obvious ur safe
Solid advice from Adam 69.