Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Having a baby outside the UK

Having a baby outside the UK

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:40 am
Just Joined

yaysin98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby outside the UK

I am a British national by descent, my grandfather was a British citizen, he left the UK and came to live in Egypt and got married here, my father was born here. My father got the British nationality and after he got married, I was born also here in Egypt and got the British nationality.

From what I’ve heard is that after the 3rd generation is born outside the UK, the following descendants are not eligible to gain the British nationality.
Does this apply only to children born outside of the UK? I mean that now that I’m married to a Canadian and my wife is pregnant, if I take her to the UK and she gives birth over there, will my born baby get the nationality or not?

If anyone has an answer please let me know because I want my baby to earn the nationality especially that I’m planning on moving to the UK next year.

Also please let me know if my wife needs to prepare any documents or apply for anything before we both travel.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby outside the UK

A baby doesn't get the nationality of the country they are born in. It depends on the nationality and domicile of the parents.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

So still, if we go to the UK and she gives birth over there, will i be able to apply for the Nationality for my baby? or will they consider him as a descendant of a 3rd generation outside UK and not give him the nationality?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

As you've said yourself, after the 3rd generation, British origins no longer count. Also, a descendent grandchild of a British national can only apply for naturalization after their 18th birthday.

Your wife (being a Canadian passport holder) is free to enter the UK without a visa, but you will need to obtain an entry clearance before traveling.

If your child is born in the UK, he/she will not be granted UK nationality purely by birth in the country.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
A baby doesn't get the nationality of the country they are born in. It depends on the nationality and domicile of the parents.
I think they do in the States, don't they? Isn't this why the US is leery about letting heavily pregnant non-citizens travel there purely so that their offspring gain citizenship?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
I think they do in the States, don't they? Isn't this why the US is leery about letting heavily pregnant non-citizens travel there purely so that their offspring gain citizenship?

They also did the same in Ireland - not sure if they still do now though.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:48 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
They also did the same in Ireland - not sure if they still do now though.
Only the US and Canada do, from the developed world. Other countries that do, according to wikipedia:

Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Barbados
Belize
Bolivia
Brazil
Cambodia
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Dominica
Ecuador
El Salvador
Fiji
Grenada
Guatemala
Guyana
Honduras
Jamaica
Lesotho
Mexico
Nicaragua
Pakistan
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uruguay
Venezuela
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

yes but my question is whether this rule applies to 4th generation born only outside of the UK, i mean if i go and stay in the UK now and my wife gives birth over there, what would be the case? the same?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:02 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

There is no easy answer to this!

Do you have right of abode in the UK?

Were you born before or after 1983?

What EXACTLY does your passport say you are?

Last edited by typical; Jul 3rd 2012 at 10:16 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:05 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

May be I am having a thick day but how would that work for 3rd generation child of UK decent born in the UAE? If I read this right they would not be entitled to a UK passport but as we are all aware the would also not qualify for an Emarati passport.....
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:13 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Welivehere
May be I am having a thick day but how would that work for 3rd generation child of UK decent born in the UAE? If I read this right they would not be entitled to a UK passport but as we are all aware the would also not qualify for an Emarati passport.....
There are something like 100,000 bidoon in the UAE, apparently.

(The UK might, upon request, offer citizenship - but more likely they'd look to the UAE to give it.)
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:17 am
Just Joined

yes i do, im a british national by naturalization. have a british passport and most of my family (sisters) live in the UK and work there.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:23 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by yaysin98
yes i do, im a british national by naturalization. have a british passport and most of my family (sisters) live in the UK and work there.
You're making my head hurt. Are you a British NATIONAL or a British CITIZEN?

If the latter, I believe the fact your father was British by descent is irrelevant. Your child will be a British citizen:
if born in the UK, automatically;
if born outside the UK, by descent, as a child of a British citizen other than by descent.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Stateless
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Stateless
Was that helpful?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.