Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had one of those days?

Have you ever had one of those days?

Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:31 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Have you ever had one of those days?

Bloody Norah. I must have upset Allah or something.

Today I've been trying to get stuff sorted for the family's arrival tomorrow night.

However, it all started going wrong at about 5pm.

1. I managed to leave a quilt that I'd bought at IKEA (after a long shopping session, but not as long as the 5-hour one the other week), and when I rang they claimed it wasn't there.

2. I got back to my digs, then set off again to go back to IKEA to buy another quilt, but had a slight mishap and hit one of the really high kerbs here, puncturing the tyre. Luckily(!) it was just after I set off, so I managed to limp back to the house. I went to the boot to get the spare out and found a spare, but no bloody tools to change the wheel, which is probably a good thing, since the heat would have killed me. I tried ringing the hire company, but there is no answer, even on the 24-hour emergency line. FFS! And all the other hire companies are out of hours now! AARRGGHH!

3. Then, I got a taxi to the nearest Mall and bought another quilt. I had a bite to eat as well, a very nice meal too. Grilled salmon and rice followed by a black forest ice cream sundae. Very nice. I then phoned the wife and kids to say "see you tomorrrow!" and used up all my credit. When I got a taxi back, we went to the Park and Shop for a phone top-up card, but it was shut, so now I'm stranded here without any means of ringing anyone tomorrow morning. My house-mate/landlord is out on the razzle, and his landline is cut off. Which means I will probably have to walk to the Park and Shop in the 40+ centigrade heat tomorrow morning. Yipee!

Phew! Sorry for going on, just had to get it off my man-breasts and down on (virtual) paper.

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 5:46 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you ever had one of those days?

Why not try to make a quilt yourself next time? It might save you a lot of hassle http://quilting.about.com/od/binding...ing_strips.htm
Enjoy!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

julieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nice

It is the Ikea God making you return there to buy another quilt and have chance to but millions of other uneccessary items, be warned!
Originally Posted by littlejimmy

Today I've been trying to get stuff sorted for the family's arrival tomorrow night.

1. I managed to leave a quilt that I'd bought at IKEA (after a long shopping session, but not as long as the 5-hour one the other week), and when I rang they claimed it wasn't there.

2. I got back to my digs, then set off again to go back to IKEA to buy another quilt, but had a slight mishap and hit one of the really high kerbs here, puncturing the tyre. Luckily(!) it was just after I set off, so I managed to limp back to the house. I went to the boot to get the spare out and found a spare, but no bloody tools to change the wheel, which is probably a good thing, since the heat would have killed me. I tried ringing the hire company, but there is no answer, even on the 24-hour emergency line. FFS! And all the other hire companies are out of hours now! AARRGGHH!

3. Then, I got a taxi to the nearest Mall and bought another quilt. I had a bite to eat as well, a very nice meal too. Grilled salmon and rice followed by a black forest ice cream sundae. Very nice. I then phoned the wife and kids to say "see you tomorrrow!" and used up all my credit. When I got a taxi back, we went to the Park and Shop for a phone top-up card, but it was shut, so now I'm stranded here without any means of ringing anyone tomorrow morning. My house-mate/landlord is out on the razzle, and his landline is cut off. Which means I will probably have to walk to the Park and Shop in the 40+ centigrade heat tomorrow morning. Yipee!

Phew! Sorry for going on, just had to get it off my man-breasts and down on (virtual) paper.

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 10:58 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

good luck for your family arriving in Dubai, just hangon there.

i can imagine you ringing Ikea asking about the quilt, the quilt sat to the guy who answered your phone and yet they said it is not there.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:47 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
good luck for your family arriving in Dubai, just hangon there.

i can imagine you ringing Ikea asking about the quilt, the quilt sat to the guy who answered your phone and yet they said it is not there.
Of course, it would take an ikea employee a month to afford that quilt...assuming he actually got paid!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:56 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
Of course, it would take an ikea employee a month to afford that quilt...assuming he actually got paid!
The family finally got here on Saturday night, but that was an experience in itself. It took them 2 hours to get through passport control and baggage collection. :scared: I was beside myself. The mobile phones decided to pack up on us so we couldn't communicate. So we got to bed at gone 4am, and then I couldn't sleep anyway. So yesterday was a bit of a blur really. Ah well, at least they're here now.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 6:38 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

The family finally got here on Saturday night, but that was an experience in itself. It took them 2 hours to get through passport control and baggage collection. :scared: I was beside myself. The mobile phones decided to pack up on us so we couldn't communicate. So we got to bed at gone 4am, and then I couldn't sleep anyway. So yesterday was a bit of a blur really. Ah well, at least they're here now.
(nods) A bit like my story yesterday. The huge long lines for passport control then they realised my son's passport had not been stamped on the way out 6 weeks ago. The good old days when Doha's airport was small and empty are over I guess. Things r changing fast here.

BTW Hi again guys......I am back
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

We use an E-card to get through customs here in Dubai. Works with fingerprint identification, you can get one made at the airport. Saves a lot of time and hassle
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:07 am
hmmmm...nice

Some info about it, before anyone asks

First time users of the system can register at the enrolment office setup at the airport to be enrolled to the database. This enables the system to check the validity of the document submitted. The DNRD has also given authority to Dnata (at the Head Office location), as its strategic partner, to issue e-cards for e-gate registration.

In either office, passengers are required to present their valid passport/travel document, complete fingerprinting procedures and have their photographs taken. The e-card, valid for two years, are issued to them on the spot for the fee of AED 150.

At Dubai Airport, there are four e-gates. Two are placed at the arrivals terminal and two at the departures, thereby allowing passengers to bypass manual immigration checks. However, travelers still have the option to choose either form of entry or exit
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:04 am