Reload this Page >

hauling a car back to the UK

hauling a car back to the UK

Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sav123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hauling a car back to the UK

Hi all,

I did a search but to no avail, and have asked a few colleagues but due to the subject, not many people knew the answer...

Does anyone know the process and costs of transporting a car from Qatar back to the UK (for a permanent sale in the UK)....

I have a car in Qatar that someone wants to purchase in the UK when i return next year, but i wanted to know the rough costs to see if it would be worth while for me. When i return i would probably keep it for a month or two before the sale (if that helps).

Thanks

Sav
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hauling a car back to the UK

Originally Posted by Sav123
Hi all,

I did a search but to no avail, and have asked a few colleagues but due to the subject, not many people knew the answer...

Does anyone know the process and costs of transporting a car from Qatar back to the UK (for a permanent sale in the UK)....

I have a car in Qatar that someone wants to purchase in the UK when i return next year, but i wanted to know the rough costs to see if it would be worth while for me. When i return i would probably keep it for a month or two before the sale (if that helps).

Thanks

Sav
Unless it is very unique it will not be worth your while. Tax will get you.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Unless it is very unique it will not be worth your while. Tax will get you.
depending on how long he's been out of the country, returning to the UK, and having owned the car for 6 months, no tax (or duty) would be payable on import.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
depending on how long he's been out of the country, returning to the UK, and having owned the car for 6 months, no tax (or duty) would be payable on import.
What about if you sell it straight away?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sav123
Hi all,

Thanks

Sav
You can get a quote here...

Car Shipping Rates, costs and prices for shipping cars overseas.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

What about if you sell it straight away?
if it was sold right away, I still don't believe there would be any liability for tax, based on the fact that the car was exempted on original import due to it being personal effects (in theory, no different to taking in a suitcase of clothes). Obviously if you tried importing 10 cars like this then it would most likely be viewed differently.

I know I'm right on the original import part, however any liability on flogging it straight away is just my educated guess.

Be worth noting that it will need to pass a full MOT on import (regardless of age), so the OP might worth checking it would actually pass with the minimal of modifications/repairs before agreeing anything.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know I'm right on the original import part, however any liability on flogging it straight away is just my educated guess.
My guess if that you have to prove that you owned it for a period before and after the export. I can't remember the periods though.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...he-uk/overview
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

There you go!

My guess if that you have to prove that you owned it for a period before and after the export. I can't remember the periods though.
6 months for importing it Duty/VAT Free, but rather surprisingly 12 months before you can resell.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

6 months for importing it Duty/VAT Free, but rather surprisingly 12 months before you can resell.

Seems a lot of effort - no one wants a LHD car anyway unless its some real classic.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:12 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a lot of effort - no one wants a LHD car anyway unless its some real classic.
Or they are sending it to their pad in France/Spain etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sav123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the responses - much appreciated!

12 months before you can resell it doesn't make it worth it though!