British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hauled over coals at Hatta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hauled-over-coals-hatta-590039/)

Rapido Feb 8th 2009 9:18 am

Hauled over coals at Hatta

Thoroughly unpleasant experience while doing the monthly visa run to Oman yesterday.

Left the kids (4yo and 1yo) at home with their mum as (a) I had no probs a couple of months ago when I did the run by myself (after a friend assured us that it was ok) and (b) they had been sick all week with this cold thingy going around.

Shoulda taken the kids.

Got out of UAE and in/out of Oman without incident. When I returned to the UAE checkpoint and handed over the passports for stamping, the conversation with the officer went like this:

'Where is children?'
'They are at home in Dubai with their mother. They are sick'
(Non-comprehending look from officer)
'Where is car?'
'Parked around the corner'
'Show me car'
(He came out of the shack and I took him to the car)
'Where is children?'
'In Dubai with mother - they are sick'
'Come'

I was led into an office inside the shack, where a higher official came with gold-fringed braid dangling on breast pocket and epaulettes. I could see immediately that this was a catch-and-kill kinda guy as opposed to tag-and-release. Sure enough he assumed head-kicker mode at once as he repeated questions aggressively about whereabouts of kids. Which I answered truthfully again, still wondering what the hell the problem was.

He then launched into an astonishing tirade about how I had lied and cheated at the UAE exit post (WTF?? they could clearly see the car was empty), at the Oman checkpoint (where they've never given a hoot), and now had lied to them by saying the children were in the car when they were not.

No amount of reassurances from me (not that I was ever able to complete even a few words without him interrupting time and again) about how there had been a misunderstanding could convince this guy I was anything but a liar and a criminal. He started talking about how HE was the authority and would now be making a report to my embassy and have me deported. Again, my attempted pleadings of total innocence were a total waste of time.

By this stage a few other officers had gathered in the room and there were high-fives and man kisses all round in a display of communal joy at having nabbed someone for the day.

The head-kicker eventually got someone to make photocopies of the (unstamped) passports, and barked strict instructions at me to go and fetch the children immediately and come straight back to the checkpoint. Realising I had no other option, back I went to Dubai, picked up the kids and headed out to Hatta again.

Of course, there had been a complete shift change by the time I got back to the checkpoint and so no-one knew WTF I was talking about when I requested to see this head-kicker dude again so that he may eyeball my sick children and cancel his report.

Anyway, passports got stamped and I drove wearily back to Dubai, with the wee boy screaming for his Mum for half the journey. I've had better days.

I know most on this forum would know the score on these visa runs already, but for any newbies reading this, don't take any chances: make sure that every passport holder is in the car.

Blue Cat Feb 8th 2009 9:21 am

Re: Hauled over coals at Hatta

did you really think you didn't have to take the rest of the family with you?? I am gobsmacked :huh:

banter64 Feb 8th 2009 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Rapido (Post 7262460)
Thoroughly unpleasant experience while doing the monthly visa run to Oman yesterday.

Left the kids (4yo and 1yo) at home with their mum as (a) I had no probs a couple of months ago when I did the run by myself (after a friend assured us that it was ok) and (b) they had been sick all week with this cold thingy going around.

Shoulda taken the kids.

Got out of UAE and in/out of Oman without incident. When I returned to the UAE checkpoint and handed over the passports for stamping, the conversation with the officer went like this:

'Where is children?'
'They are at home in Dubai with their mother. They are sick'
(Non-comprehending look from officer)
'Where is car?'
'Parked around the corner'
'Show me car'
(He came out of the shack and I took him to the car)
'Where is children?'
'In Dubai with mother - they are sick'
'Come'

I was led into an office inside the shack, where a higher official came with gold-fringed braid dangling on breast pocket and epaulettes. I could see immediately that this was a catch-and-kill kinda guy as opposed to tag-and-release. Sure enough he assumed head-kicker mode at once as he repeated questions aggressively about whereabouts of kids. Which I answered truthfully again, still wondering what the hell the problem was.

He then launched into an astonishing tirade about how I had lied and cheated at the UAE exit post (WTF?? they could clearly see the car was empty), at the Oman checkpoint (where they've never given a hoot), and now had lied to them by saying the children were in the car when they were not.

No amount of reassurances from me (not that I was ever able to complete even a few words without him interrupting time and again) about how there had been a misunderstanding could convince this guy I was anything but a liar and a criminal. He started talking about how HE was the authority and would now be making a report to my embassy and have me deported. Again, my attempted pleadings of total innocence were a total waste of time.

By this stage a few other officers had gathered in the room and there were high-fives and man kisses all round in a display of communal joy at having nabbed someone for the day.

The head-kicker eventually got someone to make photocopies of the (unstamped) passports, and barked strict instructions at me to go and fetch the children immediately and come straight back to the checkpoint. Realising I had no other option, back I went to Dubai, picked up the kids and headed out to Hatta again.

Of course, there had been a complete shift change by the time I got back to the checkpoint and so no-one knew WTF I was talking about when I requested to see this head-kicker dude again so that he may eyeball my sick children and cancel his report.

Anyway, passports got stamped and I drove wearily back to Dubai, with the wee boy screaming for his Mum for half the journey. I've had better days.

I know most on this forum would know the score on these visa runs already, but for any newbies reading this, don't take any chances: make sure that every passport holder is in the car.

Sorry to say but this is more than normal - every border that you go through no matter where in the world would not stamp a passport unless the holder is there. You are lucky that they stamped them and i would imagine that they placed a mark on your file.

i know Dubai is not easy but sometimes common sense does prevail

expat.brat Feb 8th 2009 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Rapido (Post 7262460)

...that is just pure common sense...

shiva Feb 8th 2009 9:38 am

did you honestly expect to get away with this incident free, did you really imagine that they wouldnt ask where the passport holders were.............................................. .................................................. ....mind boggling

for anyone reading this after visa advice please note that this is an example of how not to cross any border anywhere in the world ever!!!!

expat.brat Feb 8th 2009 9:49 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7262496)
did you honestly expect to get away with this incident free, did you really imagine that they wouldnt ask where the passport holders were.............................................. .................................................. ....mind boggling

for anyone reading this after visa advice please note that this is an example of how not to cross any border anywhere in the world ever!!!!

true..no other way of saying it..

Rapido Feb 8th 2009 10:07 am

The visas were due to run out today so it was a now or never situation yesterday. As for common sense, I do think that leaving young and sick kids at home was the responsible thing to do.

But yes, lesson learned. Thanks all for your feedback - I'm uplifted.

Grace O Malley Feb 8th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7262465)
did you really think you didn't have to take the rest of the family with you?? I am gobsmacked :huh:

Bloody hell lucky he didn't get arrested

still.unsure Feb 8th 2009 10:13 am

i would've been more concerned about an incident happening with your sick children needing to go to hospital, etc. and having their identification (and, i'm guessing, your wife's) in another country.

sorry mate, but in this neck of the woods, passport and body go together, no exceptions.

am glad to hear that it resolved itself, reckon you dodged a bullet there.

lionheart Feb 8th 2009 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Rapido (Post 7262555)
The visas were due to run out today so it was a now or never situation yesterday.

Procrastination is never a good enough excuse. I agree with everybody else, namely that you were lucky not to get your visa renewal refused. Setting a bad example for the rest of us.

Amazing Grace Feb 8th 2009 10:26 am

Sadly there are no printed instructions for visa runs and its not a pleasant experience when it is all done exactly as it should be so if any newbies are reading this make sure you speak to someone who can give you the advice needed. Sorry you had to experience the "havent got our quota today" crew Rapido and hope the little one is feeling better soon.

Rapido Feb 8th 2009 10:28 am

Setting a bad example for the rest of us.
I didn't set out to set a bad example or to deliberately undermine the process. I was simply naive and ignorant.

But you are so right to slap me down. Feel better?

MataHari Feb 8th 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Rapido (Post 7262604)
I didn't set out to set a bad example or to deliberately undermine the process. I was simply naive and ignorant.

But you are so right to slap me down. Feel better?

I am a bit amazed at the responses so far to be honest...especially since you've indicated you did it once before without a problem so I guess it's not that weird you tried it again...

banter64 Feb 8th 2009 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7262616)
I am a bit amazed at the responses so far to be honest...especially since you've indicated you did it once before without a problem so I guess it's not that weird you tried it again...

EEK I didnt see that bit and if I did it didnt sink in :sneaky:

B Bear Feb 8th 2009 10:43 am

What are you views on a Gulf native resident producing passports but no actual bodies at say LHR, Dover, JFK or Sydney, having previously deceived immigration? 'Lock 'im up!!' :ohmy: