Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hauled over coals at Hatta

Hauled over coals at Hatta

Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hauled over coals at Hatta

Originally Posted by Rapido
I didn't set out to set a bad example or to deliberately undermine the process. I was simply naive and ignorant.

But you are so right to slap me down. Feel better?
ignorance is never an excuse as it is always self imposed

harsh but true i'm afraid
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I am a bit amazed at the responses so far to be honest...especially since you've indicated you did it once before without a problem so I guess it's not that weird you tried it again...
lol, but just u gotta away with it once doesn't mean you will be lucky a 2nd time around.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:55 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by B Bear
What are you views on a Gulf native resident producing passports but no actual bodies at say LHR, Dover, JFK or Sydney, having previously deceived immigration? 'Lock 'im up!!'
if it had happened at JFK, sorry, rapido, but you wouldn't be making this post anytime soon, you'd probably still be trying to talk your way out of immigration...

hell, i got a rough time once for showing up at san francisco and presenting my then-wife's passport whilst she went to the loo...

(anyway, sorry, will stop now, hope your kids are better)
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:59 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
lol, but just u gotta away with it once doesn't mean you will be lucky a 2nd time around.
oh I know that...just was a bit surprised at the harshness of the replies that's all...

it's just a funny old place this...had to reregister my car the other week...got into the massive queu, my son goes into the office, comes back a minute later and tells me to get out the the line, which took some doing cause there were cars waiting all around me...
got into the office, straight to the counter, paid and got my sticker...while there was a full waiting room...apparently my son had told the guy behind the counter that our car was fine and didn't need to be checked for reregistration...
Might try that again next year...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

oh I know that...just was a bit surprised at the harshness of the replies that's all...

it's just a funny old place this...had to reregister my car the other week...got into the massive queu, my son goes into the office, comes back a minute later and tells me to get out the the line, which took some doing cause there were cars waiting all around me...
got into the office, straight to the counter, paid and got my sticker...while there was a full waiting room...apparently my son had told the guy behind the counter that our car was fine and didn't need to be checked for reregistration...
Must admit i didn't see the bit where he said he had done it before, I was shell shocked that he had even dared to do it once let alone twice.

ha ha ha good for him, he is learning the Arabic ways.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

this was it's first registration though? so you don't have to have the techical checks done.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:10 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
this was it's first registration though? so you don't have to have the techical checks done.
no...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

no...
bizarre then!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

Originally Posted by B Bear
What are you views on a Gulf native resident producing passports but no actual bodies at say LHR, Dover, JFK or Sydney, having previously deceived immigration? 'Lock 'im up!!'
'Deceived' has connotations of deliberate wrongdoing, which was not the case.

I have never before been in the position of having to do monthly border runs for visa renewals, and thought (wrongly, obviously) that requirements were less stringent in such cases, given my experiences of the past 4 months and the amount of legitimate renewals already stamped on the pages of the passports.

I'm not using my ignorance as some sort of excuse though, as many seem to think. I simply thought my experience related above just might help some new members of the forum. But if the moderators think that my tale is worthless, then no doubt they will delete it, which is fine by me.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:16 am
Concierge

'Deceived' has connotations of deliberate wrongdoing, which was not the case.

I have never before been in the position of having to do monthly border runs for visa renewals, and thought (wrongly, obviously) that requirements were less stringent in such cases, given my experiences of the past 4 months and the amount of legitimate renewals already stamped on the pages of the passports.

I'm not using my ignorance as some sort of excuse though, as many seem to think. I simply thought my experience related above just might help some new members of the forum. But if the moderators think that my tale is worthless, then no doubt they will delete it, which is fine by me.
what is the delay in you attaining a proper residency visa?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what is the delay in you attaining a proper residency visa?
LOL. A long story which would likely engender a remarkably similar suite of responses - let's not go there.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:26 am
Concierge

LOL. A long story which would likely engender a remarkably similar suite of responses - let's not go there.
I wouldn't judge, I did visa runs for well over a year, shit happens.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:25 pm
W10

That is simply ludicrous...

Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:00 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

well, the whole issue of having to do repeated border runs for visa renewals is bonkers, so this is no place for run-of-the-mill logic.

Moral of the story is not to trust what anyone says when it comes to Customs and/or Immigration. They are notorious for being jobsworthy wannabe Hitlers with a massive snese of humour bypass... the world over.

Still, I love the image of them sharing man-kisses... I'll never be able to hold a serious expression as I go through Customs ever again!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

The visas were due to run out today so it was a now or never situation yesterday. As for common sense, I do think that leaving young and sick kids at home was the responsible thing to do.

But yes, lesson learned. Thanks all for your feedback - I'm uplifted.
yes you are lucky that you were not thrown in the jail and deported straight away, if you need to do a visa run, then you all passport holders need to go, they are very strict here about children and the fact that they may have been kidnapped. people with common sense would take everyone, why do you think they will stamp your visa in a passport that the holder is not there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.