Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hatta Pools/Fujairah from Dubai...

Hatta Pools/Fujairah from Dubai...

Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Imdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hatta Pools/Fujairah from Dubai...

Hi Everyone.

I'm travelling to Dubai at the end of March for a few days and fancied doing some sight-seeing while there. I've decided that a run to the East coast (Fujairah) via Hatta Pools would be good to do.

I've been looking at Google Earth and it seems Hatta Pools is in Oman (along with the route to Fujairah).

My question is: assuming I can get insurance to drive in Oman, will I need a visa? (Is there a border-crossing on the Hatta - Fujairah route (E44/A5/A1 or the A1 when entering Fujairah?)

What about Hatta to Hatta Pools, are there border formalities there? (If I decide not to go to Fujairah).

Any information to help me plan ahead would be gratefully appreciated! Don't want to get on the wrong side of the authorities over there!!

Thanks.

Imdad
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

rebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nice
Default Re: Hatta Pools/Fujairah from Dubai...

Originally Posted by Imdad
Hi Everyone.

I'm travelling to Dubai at the end of March for a few days and fancied doing some sight-seeing while there. I've decided that a run to the East coast (Fujairah) via Hatta Pools would be good to do.

I've been looking at Google Earth and it seems Hatta Pools is in Oman (along with the route to Fujairah).

My question is: assuming I can get insurance to drive in Oman, will I need a visa? (Is there a border-crossing on the Hatta - Fujairah route (E44/A5/A1 or the A1 when entering Fujairah?)

What about Hatta to Hatta Pools, are there border formalities there? (If I decide not to go to Fujairah).

Any information to help me plan ahead would be gratefully appreciated! Don't want to get on the wrong side of the authorities over there!!

Thanks.

Imdad

You can definately get to Fujairah without leaving the UAE, but I have no idea about Hatta Pools,
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone.

Thanks.

Imdad
You actually have to pass through Omani territory to get to Hatta which is an enclave of Dubai. The border posts come after Hatta though so there are no visa requirements. I believe that the Hatta pools are in Omani territory but again before the actual border posts.

I have been a few times to the East Coast to go diving, including Fujairah and there is not need to go through Oman.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone.

Thanks.

Imdad

there is no way I would recommend tourists hiring cars and driving out here, it isn't the same as the UK - the majority of the drivers are nutcases
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
there is no way I would recommend tourists hiring cars and driving out here, it isn't the same as the UK - the majority of the drivers are nutcases
From my overseas experience, driving here is better than some countries I could mention...in any event, once you leave the centres of Dubai and Sharjah, the road system is very good. Yes, there are some crazy drivers but certainly not the majority. The road to Fujeirah is pretty safe so long as you keep within the speed limits.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
From my overseas experience, driving here is better than some countries I could mention...in any event, once you leave the centres of Dubai and Sharjah, the road system is very good. Yes, there are some crazy drivers but certainly not the majority. The road to Fujeirah is pretty safe so long as you keep within the speed limits.
that road to Fujeirah regularly attracts nutcases, the amount of fatal accidents on that road is well into double figures
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Imdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice. Gives me a bit of food for thought!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Dubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really nice

The trip to Hatta Pools is easy from Dubai and there are no borders to cross. Would recommend a sturdy vehicle as the track from the back of Hatta Museum is a tad bumpy, but can be driven in an ordinary car. If you need specific directions, PM me.

From Hatta, there is the new road (affectionately know as Pipe Road!) and it is fully tarmac'ed now. Really nice drive through some lovely scenery and villages and an interesting tunnel. It goes to Kalba, which is just to the East of Fujeirah, and then you join the coast road. From there head up to Khorfakkan and then Al Aqua, where there is a nice hotel. Carry further on up the coast and you reach Dibba, which is delightful!

There is a road back from there to Sharjah and Dubai. Get a copy of the Explorer Off Road Guide, its an essential but a little out of date in some places, particularly when it comes to hard and soft borders with Oman.

The only paperwork you need is a driving licence and registration.

Enjoy the drive!

Knight
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

beolite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dubai Knight,
I stay in Dxb, got a car recently and wonder if u could help me with a somewhat detailed route to Dibba/Kalba/Khorfakkan/Fujairah. I hear Emirates rd is the best way?
What can we do in these places. I wanna take me folks around within these few days- hear its fab. Went to Jebel Hafeet the other day, whoa...

Thx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beolite
Hi Dubai Knight,
I stay in Dxb, got a car recently and wonder if u could help me with a somewhat detailed route to Dibba/Kalba/Khorfakkan/Fujairah. I hear Emirates rd is the best way?
What can we do in these places. I wanna take me folks around within these few days- hear its fab. Went to Jebel Hafeet the other day, whoa...

Thx
is it possible to walk up (Hafeet) ? I went to Al Ain last year but it must have been June or July, and there was no way i was getting out of my Echo! Though from the top the breeze was great. I'd quite like to try climbing it on foot before it gets too hot again...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:42 am
Just Joined

beolite is an unknown quantity at this point

Walk up ... I reckon u can.. but u wont find a soul do that, and I din find any cyclist doin this trip either on my way up/down. Besides its way too chilly, couldnt hold me camera still for nuts!

But yes, its awesome. Planning to go again within a few days and checking the area at the foot of the mountain- the green belt and the hot springs. The earlier trip started late evening.

A note of warning- I drove my Chevy Optra- but did find some crazy 4/4 morons zipping past w/out a care, so be careful. The descent can be a tad dizzy.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beolite
Walk up ... I reckon u can.. but u wont find a soul do that, and I din find any cyclist doin this trip either on my way up/down. Besides its way too chilly, couldnt hold me camera still for nuts!

But yes, its awesome. Planning to go again within a few days and checking the area at the foot of the mountain- the green belt and the hot springs. The earlier trip started late evening.

A note of warning- I drove my Chevy Optra- but did find some crazy 4/4 morons zipping past w/out a care, so be careful. The descent can be a tad dizzy.
i haven't been to the pools yet.

one advantage of al Ain / Jabal Hafeet when i went last time was the fresh dates off the trees at the foot