Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone in here made any REAL local friends?

Has anyone in here made any REAL local friends?

Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Concern1 will become famous soon enoughConcern1 will become famous soon enough
Default Has anyone in here made any REAL local friends?

I mean a REAL local friend in the gulf. And not just the office and business environment sense, where you have to get along. I doubt in the few when foreigners do come into contact with the locals, that it would amount to anything more than that. Given, the nature of the economic and power imbalance in the Gulf states, vis a' vis outsiders.

In my opinion, the Bahrainis are the easiest to know and befriend, mainly I suppose because they're a lot 'poorer' than the others, and have lot less of a power hang-up with you. I did find Kuwaitis to be impenetrable and a lot less accessible than others, but maybe that was just me.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:01 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone in here made any REAL local friends?

yes...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Concern1 will become famous soon enoughConcern1 will become famous soon enough

Wow, that is brief. Care to elaborate. Or share your experiences?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Concern1
Wow, that is brief. Care to elaborate. Or share your experiences?
later...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

I mean a REAL local friend in the gulf. And not just the office and business environment sense, where you have to get along. I doubt in the few when foreigners do come into contact with the locals, that it would amount to anything more than that. Given, the nature of the economic and power imbalance in the Gulf states, vis a' vis outsiders.

In my opinion, the Bahrainis are the easiest to know and befriend, mainly I suppose because they're a lot 'poorer' than the others, and have lot less of a power hang-up with you. I did find Kuwaitis to be impenetrable and a lot less accessible than others, but maybe that was just me.
Yes. I have a UAE national, who is in very big position, loads of wasta

Known him and his family 17 years. We met in London, he was studuing, became friends, his family used to come over to London for shopping ! So i know all the family very well.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

And what would you know about the Middle East?

According to your posts elsewhere, you have been working for the London Underground for 30 years. Funny how your English has suddenly improved now that you are no longer a 'third generation Afro-Caribbean' carrying a flag for the Tories...

*troll alert*

Last edited by Meow; Nov 19th 2007 at 4:21 am.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:09 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Meow
And what would you know about the Middle East?

According to your posts elsewhere, you have been working for the London Underground for 30 years. Funny how your English has suddenly improved now that you are no longer a 'third generation Afro-Caribbean' carry a flag for the Tories...

*troll alert*
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell me that the one serious post I made in all this time I am a member is wasted on a troll...I am going to pull all my Wasta and have him killed....
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell me that the one serious post I made in all this time I am a member is wasted on a troll...I am going to pull all my Wasta and have him killed....
Check his/her/its prevoius posts/threads MH. It has been posting all sort of bollocks in 'Take it Outside'.

Claimed to have worked for the London Underground for 30 years, so earned enough to buy a house in the UK, thinks all immigrants should be kicked out of the UK. Now all of a sudden it's an expert on the ME and has enough to buy an investment property in Dubai.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Never mind...at least this board member was very impressed by your post... and no I am not a troll, honest.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:17 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
Never mind...at least this board member was very impressed by your post... and no I am not a troll, honest.
it's gone now...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Why did u delete your post
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

You mean all those flirty posts weren't serious.... beeeatch.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

it's gone now...
That is weird...maybe the whole story was a figment of my imagination?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:27 am
W10

I made some fake ones. I even fashioned him out of plastic, with a lovely PVC kandoora.

Now he earns more money than me, has his own house and won't talk to me any more

Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I made some fake ones. I even fashioned him out of plastic, with a lovely PVC kandoora.

Now he earns more money than me, has his own house and won't talk to me any more
Betrayal is sooooo hurtful, go on make a new friend, but add in some loyalty as well in the ingredients