Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone Heard of Bandar Sudairi, Riyadh?

Has anyone Heard of Bandar Sudairi, Riyadh?

Old May 6th 2007, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Glyn Harper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone Heard of Bandar Sudairi, Riyadh?

Hello all.

This will probably catch most of you out!!
When I was 4 (in 1975!) I lived with my parents in a place called Bandar Sudairi, which was in the north west of Riyadh, Saudi.
We were there for about 2 years as my father was working for BAC (as it was called then) supplying Strikemasters to the Saudi Air Force..
Anyway, we had a super time there, and some of my first memories are of the English Complex at Bandar Sudairi. (although we often went to the US one near the actual air base as they had a bigger swimming pool and more diving boards!)

I'm currently triyng to find the location of Bandar Sudairi on Google Earth.. but I can't find it! Thing is, as I was only about 7 when I left, I don't really have a clue where I'm looking to be honest.

My Father died last year, so I can't ask him.. In fact him dying is what spurred me on to look for tha place to be honest.. it causes you to look back at your past, and the happy times you had.

My mum still keeps in touch with a chap who also lived on the complex who used to fix simulators, but he's struggling to remember as it's changed so much these days.

Does anyone know of a place that is, or used to be called Bandar Sudairi? And if so, do you know how I can find it on Google Earth?

Many thanks,

Glyn Harper.
Old May 7th 2007, 4:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone Heard of Bandar Sudairi, Riyadh?

Hi Glyn, sorry to hear about your Dad passing on
I honestly can't help you at all, as I have never even been to Saudi Arabia, let's hope someone can though
Old May 7th 2007, 7:27 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glyn Harper
Hello all.

When I was 4 (in 1975!) I lived with my parents in a place called Bandar Sudairi, which was in the north west of Riyadh, Saudi.
We were there for about 2 years as my father was working for BAC (as it was called then) supplying Strikemasters to the Saudi Air Force..
Anyway, we had a super time there, and some of my first memories are of the English Complex at Bandar Sudairi. (although we often went to the US one near the actual air base as they had a bigger swimming pool and more diving boards!)

I'm currently triyng to find the location of Bandar Sudairi on Google Earth.. but I can't find it! Thing is, as I was only about 7 when I left, I don't really have a clue where I'm looking to be honest.

My Father died last year, so I can't ask him.. In fact him dying is what spurred me on to look for tha place to be honest.. it causes you to look back at your past, and the happy times you had.

My mum still keeps in touch with a chap who also lived on the complex who used to fix simulators, but he's struggling to remember as it's changed so much these days.

Does anyone know of a place that is, or used to be called Bandar Sudairi? And if so, do you know how I can find it on Google Earth?

Many thanks,

Glyn Harper.
Hi Glyn,
Im over in Riyadh within the next few days. If no one responds in the mean time then ill find out for you.
Im working with alot of the nationals so one of them is bound to know.
Rgds
JD
Old May 7th 2007, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Thankyou both for your replies.. It's very much appreciated.

JD, if you do manage to speak to someone it would be great.
I think the region Bandar Sudairi was Ad Dir'iyah I believe, but I don't know much more specific about the location.
It was an English only complex, for all the BAC Staff. There was a big arab palace sort of place, just over a big high wall on one side of the complex.
I used to walk over to it sometimes and play noughts and crosses in the sand with the arab children. It's amazing how children are able to break language barriers with games.

Many thanks again,
Glyn.
Old May 7th 2007, 10:15 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou both for your replies.. It's very much appreciated.

JD, if you do manage to speak to someone it would be great.
I think the region Bandar Sudairi was Ad Dir'iyah I believe, but I don't know much more specific about the location.
It was an English only complex, for all the BAC Staff. There was a big arab palace sort of place, just over a big high wall on one side of the complex.
I used to walk over to it sometimes and play noughts and crosses in the sand with the arab children. It's amazing how children are able to break language barriers with games.

Many thanks again,
Glyn.
Sudairi is a family/tribal name i believe...not too sure.
Is all i can do is try.
Rgds
JD

p.s. Shiva, you went to school in the region...any sites i can check?
Old May 7th 2007, 10:33 am
Up in the air

Hello all.

Many thanks,

Glyn Harper.
Diriyah (also known as Ad-Dir'iyah or Ad-Dar'iyah) is a town in Saudi Arabia located outside of Riyadh in Ar Riyad Province.
Its coordinates are 24°44′2″N, 46°34′24″E.
Rgds
JD
Old May 7th 2007, 12:03 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Sudairi is a family/tribal name i believe...not too sure.
Is all i can do is try.
Rgds
JD

p.s. Shiva, you went to school in the region...any sites i can check?
no idea mate, try www.hellonearth.com or
www.itsstillthedarkageshere.com or
www.weshouldhaveinvadedherenotiraq.com

or google

try dierent spellings as well as these are in no way ixed here..oh and does anyone have a uckin spare uckin f key i can have, mines ucked

Last edited by shiva; May 7th 2007 at 12:09 pm. Reason: added bit
Old May 7th 2007, 12:45 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
no idea mate, try www.hellonearth.com or
www.itsstillthedarkageshere.com or
www.weshouldhaveinvadedherenotiraq.com

or google

try dierent spellings as well as these are in no way ixed here..oh and does anyone have a uckin spare uckin f key i can have, mines ucked
That first link actaully works.
Old May 8th 2007, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Not sure what these links to random websites are..

If anyone does know where Bandar Sudairi is/was, it would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Glyn.
Old May 8th 2007, 12:03 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what these links to random websites are..

If anyone does know where Bandar Sudairi is/was, it would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Glyn.
they are wind ups! you get used to the sense of humour on here !
Old May 8th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you get used to the sense of humour on here !
Or you just go mad trying. Maybe this site should carry a (mental) health warning?
Old May 8th 2007, 5:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Or you just go mad trying. Maybe this site should carry a (mental) health warning?
you need to be mental to keep coming back!!!!
Old May 14th 2007, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Glyn,
Im over in Riyadh within the next few days. If no one responds in the mean time then ill find out for you.
Im working with alot of the nationals so one of them is bound to know.
Rgds
JD
Hey Jammy... did you manage to find anything on this?
Many thanks,
Glyn.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:03 pm
Up in the air

Hey Jammy... did you manage to find anything on this?
Many thanks,
Glyn.
Currently staying with a mate in the Al Khaleej area (other side of Al Hamra and the Sabic tower)

Asked a few locals and no one can seem to remember it!.

Meeting a few more tonight for a shisha...will ask them tonight!

Rgds
JD
Old May 14th 2007, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Currently staying with a mate in the Al Khaleej area (other side of Al Hamra and the Sabic tower)

Asked a few locals and no one can seem to remember it!.

Meeting a few more tonight for a shisha...will ask them tonight!

Rgds
JD
That's super, cheers for that.
It was a British complex where BAC staff used to live, up in the Di'riyah area somewhere..
Many thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.