Reload this Page >

Harry Ramsdens in Qatar

Harry Ramsdens in Qatar

Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Harry Ramsdens in Qatar

Hi
Thinking of paying a visit to their Doha branch but wish to know do they serve proper British style fish and chips or the typical stuff you find in the Gulf, i.e. french fries (from frozen) and fish in overcooked batter? The pics on zomato seem to suggest the latter in which case there's no chance I'm paying 120 riyals for that rubbish. Otherwise I'll have to do with a visit to the overpriced 'The Chippy' but at least they do proper chips - will need to bring a change of clothes with me tho
Cheers

Last edited by psychopomp1; Dec 7th 2016 at 7:29 am.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Harry Ramsdens in Qatar

My mates went and reckon it was proper fish & chips, although apparently the second time it wasn't as good.

It's right over the other side of the city for me so I just plain can't be arsed to go find out for myself. It's on the Pearl, right?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, yep its on the Pearl. Might give it a miss and stick to somewhere tried & trusted (The Chippy in Bin Omran).
Old Dec 7th 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried it and thought it okay. Wether or not it's worth the price is just a Qatar thing, it is what it is.
I don't know "The Chippy" but another place I've had decent fish and chips if you like the idea of a traditional style place, plastic table cloths, chips as thick as yer thumb, real Sarsons vinegar etc. Is a small cafe, real down and grungy on Ras Bu Aboud. Coming from Sana signal and heading toward the airport it's about the last place on the right before the road forks at the Corniche/C-ring overpass. A little corner place forget the name and I've only been there at a lunch time but worth a try.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

It worth going although the quality of the chips has gone down recently from when it opened
Old Dec 8th 2016, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I've tried it and thought it okay. Wether or not it's worth the price is just a Qatar thing, it is what it is.
I don't know "The Chippy" but another place I've had decent fish and chips if you like the idea of a traditional style place, plastic table cloths, chips as thick as yer thumb, real Sarsons vinegar etc. Is a small cafe, real down and grungy on Ras Bu Aboud. Coming from Sana signal and heading toward the airport it's about the last place on the right before the road forks at the Corniche/C-ring overpass. A little corner place forget the name and I've only been there at a lunch time but worth a try.
Is that the Sandwich Cellar? Their steak & kidney pie is nice too.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Yeah its called Sandwich Cellar/British Cafe, i've been there a few times and food is quite good, though quite often its deserted. However parking is a nightmare so i only tend to go there at quiet times, eg Friday morning for a nice hearty breakfast.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Odd location for a British restaurant I have to say.

Someone told me there's an American / Texan place up the road called Ric's Kountry Kitchen. I looked at the menus for both restaurants online and they're definitely not what you expect for that part of town. Then again maybe that's just Doha for you.

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Yeah its called Sandwich Cellar/British Cafe, i've been there a few times and food is quite good, though quite often its deserted. However parking is a nightmare so i only tend to go there at quiet times, eg Friday morning for a nice hearty breakfast.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Odd location for a British restaurant I have to say.

Someone told me there's an American / Texan place up the road called Ric's Kountry Kitchen. I looked at the menus for both restaurants online and they're definitely not what you expect for that part of town. Then again maybe that's just Doha for you.
Yeah there is, it's good there. Gets very busy at the weekends judging by the times I've been there. Shame it's not like the one in Bahrain - that one even has a bar...
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes Ric's. Been a while since I was in there. Think it's closed in the evening though so really only a lunchtime place and it does get busy.

Sandwich Cellar, sounds like the place all right. Odd place in a, well, odd place! Thanks for reminding me of the name. Now if only they would do paper wrapped take away!
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

As chance would have it I'm actually now going to Harry Ramsden's for lunch tomorrow with a mate - I'll let you know if it's any good, and take a couple of photos if I remember too.

Last edited by Big_Show; Dec 8th 2016 at 7:51 am.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big_Show
As chance would have it I'm actually now going to Harry Ramsden's for lunch tomorrow with a mate - I'll let you know if it's any good, and take a coupel of photos if I remember too.
That would be super, thanks
Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

As chance would have it I'm actually now going to Harry Ramsden's for lunch tomorrow with a mate - I'll let you know if it's any good, and take a couple of photos if I remember too.
Living the dream chief !
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Living the dream chief !
Certainly a high point for anyone living in the dream world that is Qatar.

That said I'm 3 weeks into a 4 week course in Germany and can't wait to be back
Old Dec 10th 2016, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

So how was it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.