British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hairdressers in dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hairdressers-dubai-512229/)

holly30 Feb 6th 2008 10:16 am

Hairdressers in dubai

Hi i am a qualified hairdresser, i have 2 children aged 10 and 13.
Would love to live and work in dubai.
Bit worried about my children though whether they would be able to settle at the age they are regarding schools etc...
Do you have to pay for schooling over there?
is hairdressing a wanted trade in dubai, is there work over there.
Just need some feedback.

Thanks
holly

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 10:21 am

Re: Hairdressers in dubai

Originally Posted by holly30 (Post 5893355)
Bit worried about my children though whether they would be able to settle at the age they are regarding schools etc...
Just need some feedback.

Thanks
holly

Hi Holly - you'd find it hard to make ends meet as a hair-dresser here - the only way it could work would be if you were to set up your own salon, and competition is very stiff. Rent & school fees are extremely expensive.
Sorry to disappoint your ambition.

Blue Cat Feb 6th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by holly30 (Post 5893355)
Just need some feedback.

Thanks
holly

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you wouldn't earn enough money to pay for accomodation or schooling :(

Grace O Malley Feb 6th 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5893371)
Hi Holly - you'd find it hard to make ends meet as a hair-dresser here - the only way it could work would be if you were to set up your own salon, and competition is very stiff. Rent & school fees are extremely expensive.
Sorry to disappoint your ambition.

my hairdresser earns a fortune, booked 8 weeks in advance and charges 200-250 for a cut?

western hairdressers are few in AD, maybe AD a better option

It wont be easy but its not impossible:)

Blue Cat Feb 6th 2008 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5894248)
Ah my hairdresser earns a fortune SYB, she is booked up to 8 weeks in advance and charges for a cut 200 dibs

If u are a good hairdresser u can earn, esp in AD as western hairdressers are very few, they are usually our darling lebanese who get very scissor happy

my friend owns a salon here and he is busy ALL the time, he still doesn't make enough to bring his family here etc, the rent of the salon is extortionate, you got to do a hell of alot of hair cuts get 200K rent never mind the other expenses :(

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5894248)
Ah my hairdresser earns a fortune SYB, she is booked up to 8 weeks in advance and charges for a cut 200 dibs

If u are a good hairdresser u can earn, esp in AD as western hairdressers are very few

I succumb to your greater experience, AnnaC.... my guy in AD is Syrian, otherwise I use the Phillipino guys in Bur Juman. I'd say they ain't earning a whole load.

So got any advice as to how this lady can get hooked up with a job? Sponsorship etc?

Grace O Malley Feb 6th 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5894262)
my friend owns a salon here and he is busy ALL the time, he still doesn't make enough to bring his family here etc, the rent of the salon is extortionate, you got to do a hell of alot of hair cuts get 200K rent never mind the other expenses :(

my hairdresser pays for her chair, so she doesnt have all the rising overheads, this is prob the way to go , shes doing extremely well

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5894278)
my hairdresser pays for her chair, so she doesnt have all the rising overheads, this is prob the way to go , shes doing extremely well

Maybe you could ask her if there's any spare chairs going for our friend Holly here....

Grace O Malley Feb 6th 2008 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5894266)
I succumb to your greater experience, AnnaC.... my guy in AD is Syrian, otherwise I use the Phillipino guys in Bur Juman. I'd say they ain't earning a whole load.

So got any advice as to how this lady can get hooked up with a job? Sponsorship etc?

Ha ha

Lots of salons are doing this chair renting system. Usually the salon owned by a national he pays everything inc the sponsoring of all the staff and then they pay for the chair. It seems to be working very well in my salon that i go

There is a huge shortage of good haidressers in AD . most western women are fed up of asking for a trim and 5 inches are gone

Hence this salon is doing so good.

I just wouldnt say its not impossible. thats all

Sam FTQ Feb 6th 2008 2:06 pm

Holly,

Have you thought about Australia? They are crying out for hairdressers over there, and it would provide a lifestyle for you and your children comparable wth Dubai.

Incidentally, do you do beauty treatments as well? We desperately need a 'Western' beauty therapist in Abu Dhabi. I asked in the beauty salon in my hotel for a treatment that is quite normal in England, and the beauty therapist looked at me like I was barking.

Grace O Malley Feb 6th 2008 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5894266)

Ha ha

Maybe you could

Hairworks Ab Dhabi

I beleive there is one in Dubai too

Happy recruiting

Madam Medusa Feb 6th 2008 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5894260)
my hairdresser earns a fortune, booked 8 weeks in advance and charges 200-250 for a cut?

western hairdressers are few in AD, maybe AD a better option

It wont be easy but its not impossible:)

yeah, my hairdresser does pretty well here too...but i think he makes his real money doing one-off fashion events (which he does a lot of) and he is the hairdresser to a few local celebs so i guess he can whack up the prices for them too...

unless you've got contacts, i would think it would be pretty difficult to break into here...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Feb 6th 2008 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5894325)
yeah, my hairdresser does pretty well here too...but i think he makes his real money doing one-off fashion events (which he does a lot of) and he is the hairdresser to a few local celebs so i guess he can whack up the prices for them too...

unless you've got contacts, i would think it would be pretty difficult to break into here...

MM, xx

hello M

Dont u agree that yr hairdresser is worth his/hers weight in gold?

I think its an overlooked profession, dont u think?

Madam Medusa Feb 6th 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5894344)
hello M

Dont u agree that yr hairdresser is worth his/hers weight in gold?

I think its an overlooked profession, dont u think?

hey doll, how's you...?

yep, i agree completely...i love mine now and dread him saying he's leaving...

MM, xx

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5894355)
hey doll, how's you...?

yep, i agree completely...i love mine now and dread him saying he's leaving...

MM, xx

You talking about your hairdresser or your husband???? :blink: