British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Gyms in Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/gyms-riyadh-582901/)

Demented Kitten Jan 9th 2009 10:28 am

Gyms in Riyadh

Can anyone help me find a gym in Riyadh?

I need somthing which is similar to Fitness 1st back home in the UK and near to the Olaya and Makkah road.

Also what can I expect to pay monthly and what is the minimum membership duration.

Thanks.

still.unsure Jan 9th 2009 11:51 am

Re: Gyms in Riyadh

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten (Post 7144604)

I need somthing which is similar to Fitness 1st back home in the UK and near to the Olaya and Makkah road.

Also what can I expect to pay monthly and what is the minimum membership duration.

Thanks.

there's a fitness first "platinum" in the "localizer" mall that's behind olaya road near the corner of abdullah bin sulamin al humdone st and al amir mohammad bin abdul aziz street.

(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&abau...=&zoom=3&zp=ULL)

not sure about prices but it's a starting point... :o

typical Jan 9th 2009 1:35 pm

Ooh. Does that mean if I join FF there I can use the ones in Dubai (and/or vice versa)?

That's tempting.

still.unsure Jan 9th 2009 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 7145204)
Ooh. Does that mean if I join FF there I can use the ones in Dubai (and/or vice versa)?

That's tempting.

that's a good one... i still haven't managed to get out of my bl--dy ff contract in UK... :mad:

The Dean Jan 9th 2009 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten (Post 7144604)

Thanks.

Nothing on your compound that's good enough?

typical Jan 9th 2009 3:22 pm

I keep passing a gym on Olaya St, a little north of the Faisaliah Tower. No idea if it's any good.

nottmbantam Jan 10th 2009 7:37 pm

As The Dean says, is your compound gym not good enough? I've lived on two compounds now, bith of them have their own private gym, which I've found to be more than adequate ( for my annual re-acquaintance with the treadmill... ) .

There's another biggish gym just down the road from the Kingdom Hospital, on Thakasussi St, looks quite smart from the outside.

zahirshah Jan 12th 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks for the information nottmbantam

Demented Kitten Jan 13th 2009 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7145506)
Nothing on your compound that's good enough?

I dont live in a compound, I have been in Saudi for less than 2 weeks but still craving for a workout.

I will be getting my Iqama sorted in 3 to 4 weeks, then most likely rent an apartment out of a compound. Dont want to pay ridiculous rents for a dingy place in a prison.

The fitness 1st thing seems interesting, however I want it to be close where I live which I dont know yet. Nor do I know Riyadh well. My office however will be in Al Dabbab St. and I currenly live in an apartment near the Olaya Road and Makkah Rd junction.

I am still using taxis, so I would need to get a cab everytime I visit the Gym. :mad:

nottmbantam Jan 13th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by zahirshah (Post 7157527)
Thanks for the information nottmbantam

You're welcome!

Demented Kitten - Is there nothing on Olaya St that you could walk to from Dabbab St ? I'm sure some of the larger malls had gyms in there - or was I just imagining it? Does Faisaliah Mall have a gym inside? Its got just about everything else - shopping, restaurants,hotels etc.

I liked Dabbab St ( if its the same road I think it is, there was a nice Turkish Restuarant on there - with family section too! )

Blue Cat Jan 14th 2009 9:57 am

why would a man call himself Demented Kitten? I keep thinking I am talking to a girl :)

Demented Kitten Jan 15th 2009 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7165891)
why would a man call himself Demented Kitten? I keep thinking I am talking to a girl :)

Well that was part of the idea, to confuse.

You do get Male kittens also. :)

Demented Kitten Jan 15th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7144889)
there's a fitness first "platinum" in the "localizer" mall that's behind olaya road near the corner of abdullah bin sulamin al humdone st and al amir mohammad bin abdul aziz street.

(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&abau...=&zoom=3&zp=ULL)

not sure about prices but it's a starting point... :o

Visited that place last night, they had a sales stand in the mall. When I asked the price I just said "No thanks". It is 1000 Riyal per month, with a 600 riyal one off joining fee and 400 riyal admin fee.

I just want a place which had reasonable quality equipment and cardio. I am sure there must be places, where I dont need to take out a bank loan. Something like 300 per month riyal sounds ok.

Blue Cat Jan 15th 2009 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten (Post 7170540)
Well that was part of the idea, to confuse.

You do get Male kittens also. :)

I got two adorable male cats sitting here with me now - Hugo Boss and Radley Bag :)

still.unsure Jan 17th 2009 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten (Post 7170543)
Visited that place last night, they had a sales stand in the mall. When I asked the price I just said "No thanks". It is 1000 Riyal per month, with a 600 riyal one off joining fee and 400 riyal admin fee.

I just want a place which had reasonable quality equipment and cardio. I am sure there must be places, where I dont need to take out a bank loan. Something like 300 per month riyal sounds ok.

ouch! well, at least fitness first is staying true to form and being a bit of a rip off no matter where you are in the world!