Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gulf News Actually Admits Dubai-Sharjah traffic is rubbish..

Gulf News Actually Admits Dubai-Sharjah traffic is rubbish..

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gulf News Actually Admits Dubai-Sharjah traffic is rubbish..

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10223172.html

I do feel sorry for all those that have to do that trip on a daily basis..

What a waste of 4 hours of your life every day..
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:39 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gulf News Actually Admits Dubai-Sharjah traffic is rubbish..

Originally Posted by admon View Post
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10223172.html

I do feel sorry for all those that have to do that trip on a daily basis..

What a waste of 4 hours of your life every day..
100% increase in cars in 4 years! That's mental. And the figures for 2020 - where do they get them from? If there are 3 million trips now and 14 million trips in 12 years' time, traffic will just come to a complete and permanent standstill. Oh, and I like the thing about average occupancy being 1.7 people. Isn't car pooling illegal?

MAD, I tells ya!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:43 am
W10

It is mental - the problem lies firmly at the SHJ end though. Their road infrastructure is almost non-existent.

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:48 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

In the medium to longer term, I think the solution is for home construction companies (with Governments' backing) to establish affordable housing/accommodation within Dubai Emirate and not just Sharjah. Could even be in Abu Dhabi Emirate across the border from Jebel Ali. Though rents may need to be pegged to Sharjah rates.

There's plenty of unoccupied land along the Emirates Roads towards Jebel Ali. This would eventually ease longitudinal traffic on SZR (i.e., reduce Sharjah-Dubai traffic) with traffic heading inland (perpendicular to SZR or the coast) to the new and affordable 'suburbs'. People would then be closer to the places where they work.

Well it makes sense to me - just needs Government foresight and input.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot View Post
In the medium to longer term, I think the solution is for home construction companies (with Governments' backing) to establish affordable housing/accommodation within Dubai Emirate and not just Sharjah. Could even be in Abu Dhabi Emirate across the border from Jebel Ali. Though rents may need to be pegged to Sharjah rates.

There's plenty of unoccupied land along the Emirates Roads towards Jebel Ali. This would eventually ease longitudinal traffic on SZR (i.e., reduce Sharjah-Dubai traffic) with traffic heading inland (perpendicular to SZR or the coast) to the new and affordable 'suburbs'. People would then be closer to the places where they work.

Well it makes sense to me - just needs Government foresight and input.
Ironically, this is the sort of accommodation that could be whipped up in no time. In 12 months a worker city could be easily built.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to commute from Sharjah to Dubai sometime in 2004 and it was TERRIBLE.

I wonder how it can be much worse right now !!!!