British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Guide to the UAE & Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/guide-uae-dubai-214346/)

philipz Mar 2nd 2004 9:45 pm

Guide to the UAE & Dubai

Well it is always a pleasure to come to the forum and help people out, but alot of it is repeated and would be better to include the information in an article which we can tell people to have a read through. So I have just launched a UAE Guide website and have created one section of it called 'Living Here' which features articles that I had previously written but want to include articles about the common questions asked by people looking to relocate to the UAE or Dubai, and wanted you guys to possibly send in some information, which I would gather together, read through, re-write and then post on the website. So what are the most common questions you have found at the forum, other than job related?

Anyone interested in helping me out more with this by possibly writing some articles? :D

Balushi Mar 3rd 2004 5:48 am

Re: Guide to the UAE & Dubai

You are doing a commendable work here for the expat community! It's seem's as if you are from the Gulf with all the knowledge you have!

It's wonderfull that through people like you, the others will know that Dubai is in the Gulf NOT in the North America.

philipz Mar 3rd 2004 12:37 pm

Yep I have been here for the last 10 years. So any suggestions Balushi?

Balushi Mar 4th 2004 5:40 am

Originally posted by philipz
Yep I have been here for the last 10 years. So any suggestions Balushi?
...Only if i would know what type of Articles you looking for? coz they are a lot of site's and books on Guide about U.A.E.

I have to go through this site thorougly and figure out something.. that would be worth a suggestion.

Desert Dweller Mar 5th 2004 4:51 am

Do you know Alistair, the owner of Explorer Publishing? He is a really easy going guy and maybe worth approaching to get some of the articles they have already researched/written in return for a link to their website, or an ad on your site.

philipz Mar 5th 2004 9:44 pm

Unfortunately I dont Desert Dweller, but if you have his number send it to me. Thanks. But I think they will likely have a problem with it as I want to include all of their info, and as they are publishing it, that would probably effect their sales. I was going to buy Dubai Explorer but wasnt ready to spend Dhs. 65 for it.

Well I have gone through the first 2 pages of threads from the forum and found that most of people like to ask about living costs (accomodations, clothing, food) and is it ok for single women. Still another 4 pages to go, but as I didnt get a responce, this is the only other thing that I could do.

Have been checking out a number of resources, and found that the free CityInfo booklet found at the airport is great for new comers and not much of the information changes each month, and will definatley grab things from there.

Wrote up an article about english newspapers and magazines in the UAE and wondered what magazines you guys/gals suggest. I have already added emirates woman, what's on, time out, and dubai & abu dhabi explorer.

Balushi Mar 7th 2004 5:33 am

There is Ahlan Magazine! getting popular these days.

philipz Mar 7th 2004 6:11 am

Unfortunately, most of Ahlan's content is not from within the UAE, which is what I want to focus on. Magazines like TimeOut and What's On focus on the UAE.

Balushi Mar 7th 2004 6:46 am

There is one called "CONNECTOR". i haven't read any of these just giving u names

philipz Mar 7th 2004 3:31 pm

Just purchased Connector for the first time 3 days ago as it was targetting the UAE.

Balushi Mar 9th 2004 7:09 am

My Girl friend she had a course with DTCM and she stood No.1 in the class.... She wrote articles on U.A.E. I will ask her for the copy and i will let you know the context if interest you can have them ;)

philipz Mar 9th 2004 12:36 pm

Sounds great, please do send them when you get them.

Balushi Mar 10th 2004 6:45 am

Originally posted by philipz
Sounds great, please do send them when you get them.
I will ask her today...