British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Greeting strangers in islamic countries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/greeting-strangers-islamic-countries-510382/)

pinebluffvariant Jan 30th 2008 6:43 pm

Greeting strangers in islamic countries

Hi there people,

What is the norm when greeting people in the UAE and Saudi Arabia (and other islamic countries)?

Are things different in business compared to social situations? Is it acceptable to use Asalam-u-alaykum all the time regardless of the ethinicity of the individual?

What about greeting women? Is a handshake acceptable in business?

Could help me avoid awkward moments when I arrive! Thanks in advance.

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 6:47 pm

Re: Greeting strangers in islamic countries

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant (Post 5859944)
Hi there people,

What is the norm when greeting people in the UAE and Saudi Arabia (and other islamic countries)?

Are things different in business compared to social situations? Is it acceptable to use Asalam-u-alaykum all the time regardless of the ethinicity of the individual?

What about greeting women? Is a handshake acceptable in business?

Could help me avoid awkward moments when I arrive! Thanks in advance.

say "hello"...and shake hands....nothing out of the ordinary...

MM, xx

pinebluffvariant Jan 30th 2008 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5859960)
say "hello"...and shake hands....nothing out of the ordinary...

MM, xx

Thanks for the response MM! I guess in Dubai, how about more conservative countries like Saudia Arabia?

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant (Post 5860007)
Thanks for the response MM! I guess in Dubai, how about more conservative countries like Saudia Arabia?

same...lol

MM, xx

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5860015)
same...lol

MM, xx

Rule 1: NEVER EVER even offer a handshake to a woman in Saudi Arabia.

Rule 2: NEVER EVER even offer a handshake to a woman in Saudi Arabia.

There are exceptions who will shake hands - but let THEM take the initiative. I have THREE who work for me. I'm literally known as 'Mr Mixed Office' because I was the one who insisted on employing the three ladies because they were..... (takes a deep breath) .... the best candidates.

Only recently would we have been able to do this - five years ago, they would have been required to sit the other side of a glass screen. (We might have ended up dancing, you see....... remind me to tell you that joke sometime)

And of course Mr Mixed Office confirms that it's the 'Snappy Nicknames' capital of the world........

..... or if you end up in Afghanistan, when you and a woman shake hands, it counts as adultery, so she will get lashes followed by a stoning.

Welcome to the region.

pinebluffvariant Jan 30th 2008 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5860015)
same...lol

MM, xx

Ok then! How about greeting women in business who look like UAE or Saudi locals. Is it acceptable to shake their hands?

pinebluffvariant Jan 30th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5860068)
Rule 1: NEVER EVER even offer a handshake to a woman in Saudi Arabia.

Rule 2: NEVER EVER even offer a handshake to a woman in Saudi Arabia.

There are exceptions who will shake hands - but let THEM take the initiative. I have THREE who work for me. I'm literally known as 'Mr Mixed Office' because I was the one who insisted on employing the three ladies because they were..... (takes a deep breath) .... the best candidates.

Only recently would we have been able to do this - five years ago, they would have been required to sit the other side of a glass screen. (We might have ended up dancing, you see....... remind me to tell you that joke sometime)

And of course Mr Mixed Office confirms that it's the 'Snappy Nicknames' capital of the world........

..... or if you end up in Afghanistan, when you and a woman shake hands, it counts as adultery, so she will get lashes followed by a stoning.

Welcome to the region.

Thanks for the warning. I am assuming in Dubai it is ok to shake hands with women though? Or should I just play it safe and keep a safe distance?

In the UK I can imagine if there were a roomful of business acquaintances just shaking the hands of the men would seem sexist which is why I ask.

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant (Post 5860101)
Thanks for the warning. I am assuming in Dubai it is ok to shake hands with women though? Or should I just play it safe and keep a safe distance?

In the UK I can imagine if there were a roomful of business acquaintances just shaking the hands of the men would seem sexist which is why I ask.

Don't shake the hands of women dressed head-to-toe in black - unless THEY offer you a handshake first. They probably won't.

Paidtoplease Jan 31st 2008 2:13 am

Yes acknowledge with a slight head bow and if they offer their hand to shake all okay but never offer first, and do not ignore them either.

lionheart Jan 31st 2008 4:20 am

In my day (1998-2006) most Saudi men greet each other with a kiss on the cheek, usually three times...try it and see what happens to you.

NorthernLad Jan 31st 2008 4:43 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5862172)
In my day (1998-2006) most Saudi men greet each other with a kiss on the cheek

Where I come from, that would be rewarded with a head butt.

MataHari Jan 31st 2008 5:15 am

I always find flashing a bit of cleavage gets a good response...

Inselaffen Jan 31st 2008 7:19 am

A lot of the women in bars in Dubai will probably greet you in a very different way ;)

nottmbantam Jan 31st 2008 8:47 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5862271)
I always find flashing a bit of cleavage gets a good response...

yeah me too.....bum cleavage with my baggy arse jeans.

Grace O Malley Jan 31st 2008 9:57 am

Originally Posted by pinebluffvariant (Post 5860074)
Ok then! How about greeting women in business who look like UAE or Saudi locals. Is it acceptable to shake their hands?

No its not, it they offer their hand, then fine, but u shouldn't offer.

SOme women wont even sit at the same table as guys, its a mare sometimes

Women also should be careful and wait for they guy to offer the handshake

The whole culture thing is a bit of a mindfield really, i have been here 10 years and work with uae naitonals every day and just found out a few months ago that it is also not acceptable for a man to tell a young lady (head covered) that she is pretty or attractive or that her abaya is nice.

There is a great company in Dubai giving training to newbies to the UAE on the culture here.

I will try and find out the name and psot it

AC