Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Great Write Up Of Dubai - And It's On BE

Great Write Up Of Dubai - And It's On BE

Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:15 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great Write Up Of Dubai - And It's On BE

By Joanna Chumas, here

I'll give you a couple of excerts...

... but essentially living there, as opposed to visiting it for up to five days, can be summed up as living in a death-trap, a construction site, a third world lawless, “eat ‘em alive” jungle.
Sounds about right...

I had to drive every day on the infamous Sheikh Zayed Road, where the standard of driving is so bad, you literally are chased by death every minute, and the driving fatalities are among the world’s highest.
And the funniest - now come on who is this a description of? OK, maybe leave the brain dead bit out of it then!!

In my opinion the only way anyone is ever going to survive in the UAE, or Dubai is to be the following: - a brain-dead, sports-loving, young, single white male, employed by a Western company, on a lock-in contract for two years, with accommodation entirely subsidized who wants nothing more than to sleep with women, drink himself stupid, and watch the sport on Sky TV.

Pure class, thanks for making me smile Joanna!!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:54 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Write Up Of Dubai - And It's On BE

Originally Posted by MJC
By Joanna Chumas, here

I'll give you a couple of excerts...

Sounds about right...

And the funniest - now come on who is this a description of? OK, maybe leave the brain dead bit out of it then!!

Pure class, thanks for making me smile Joanna!!

SPOT ON!!!!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:57 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
SPOT ON!!!!
"who wants nothing more than to sleep with women, drink himself stupid, and watch the sport on Sky TV."

Isn't that every man?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:10 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I totally disagree with her last comment. What I'd give to be able to get Sky TV here.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:32 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I totally disagree with her last comment. What I'd give to be able to get Sky TV here.
Having read it all now, I think she's going through a bit of a honeymoon period back in the UK. I remember having a similar feeling when I returned to the UK from Taiwan a few years ago. I thought I missed fish and chips and rainy days, but the truth of it is, I was more glad to be back with family and friends. I was wanting out again after 6 months. I just had to convince the missus it was a good idea.

She talks about the culture flowing down cobbled streets, but all I remember is vomit and piss flowing down these streets. The culture there is increasingly one of drinking excessively, watching celebrities on your ****-off big telly and selfish, feckless yobbery. Taxes are too high and the services they supposedly pay for are a joke. Public transport and the NHS are inconsistent, but mostly poor (you still have to pay stupid fares on trains and you have to pay for your medicines and dental treatment). Education is a lottery. I also find it hard to believe that you can buy a house in a quaint village in Cambridgeshire and get change out of 200k sterling.

Oy! Who knicked the pound sign?

Yeah, some of what she says about Dubai is right. The traffic and the red tape and the high rents are a pain, but I think it's OK. The good points outweigh the bad, in the main. I think my family are enjoying it as well. But, ultimately, she sounds bitter to me. It'll be interesting to see how she feels in a year's time.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:54 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Just how long does this "Honeymoon" period last for... I have been home 6 months and Im not bitter in the slightest, I don't regret leaving in fact its the best thing that has happened.
Im better off in many ways, for me the NHS provides a good service in particular as far as my children are concerned!
As far as the school that my eldest attends its one of the best in Somerset and I can't grumble with that.
I dont pay for my medicines, and I dont have to pay for my kids to have dental treatment.
Its down to where each individual feels more at home, safe, at ease and happiest....!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:04 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Just how long does this "Honeymoon" period last for... I have been home 6 months and Im not bitter in the slightest, I don't regret leaving in fact its the best thing that has happened.
Im better off in many ways, for me the NHS provides a good service in particular as far as my children are concerned!
As far as the school that my eldest attends its one of the best in Somerset and I can't grumble with that.
I dont pay for my medicines, and I dont have to pay for my kids to have dental treatment.
Its down to where each individual feels more at home, safe, at ease and happiest....!
You're right - It is down to the individual, and I for one think you're very fortunate to be happy in the UK. Everything I said was from my own perspective. There are 6 billion different perspectives on this planet.

Did you write that article?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:25 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
You're right - It is down to the individual, and I for one think you're very fortunate to be happy in the UK. Everything I said was from my own perspective. There are 6 billion different perspectives on this planet.

Did you write that article?
It just seems that all the while ppl are praising Dubai then thats all well and good but as soon as some-one pulls it to pieces then they are more than likely to get verbally bashed -

Iam lucky to be happy, its not just being around family and friends - I see them a little more than I did when I lived in Dubai but its everything else that makes the mountain.

I was there 3 yrs, and that was enough. The only blessing in the last year was getting my eldest in an execellent school - DBS - I could ramble on and get shot down, but Im not one for arguments and the like as Im no good at it - ask TS
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:05 pm
Excess Baggage

It just seems that all the while ppl are praising Dubai then thats all well and good but as soon as some-one pulls it to pieces then they are more than likely to get verbally bashed -

Iam lucky to be happy, its not just being around family and friends - I see them a little more than I did when I lived in Dubai but its everything else that makes the mountain.

I was there 3 yrs, and that was enough. The only blessing in the last year was getting my eldest in an execellent school - DBS - I could ramble on and get shot down, but Im not one for arguments and the like as Im no good at it - ask TS
I ain't in the business of flaming or shooting down. Healthy debate all the way from me.

Anyway, my son goes to DBS, and we're quite impressed so far, even though they had a bad start to the year with a major water leak that shut the school down for 3 days! :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:46 pm

I ain't in the business of flaming or shooting down. Healthy debate all the way from me.

Anyway, my son goes to DBS, and we're quite impressed so far, even though they had a bad start to the year with a major water leak that shut the school down for 3 days! :scared:

We were very impressed... They allow the children to learn at their own pace and not push to keep up with across the board standards or other pupils that are more advanced.

3 days off... bet he was plesed?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:59 pm
Excess Baggage

We were very impressed... They allow the children to learn at their own pace and not push to keep up with across the board standards or other pupils that are more advanced.

3 days off... bet he was plesed?
He was, but Mummy wasn't!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 4:42 pm

He was, but Mummy wasn't!

Why ever not? I didnt let my youngest go to PS until he was a few months short of his 3rd Birthday - loved having him around as I was a SAHM.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

She says "for fear of sounding like a professional complainer..." Sorry dear, too late. Sadly that is exactly what she sounds like and I would imagine she will be saying the same about the UK in, oh, about 6 months.

There are good and bad points about living anywhere but she is only mentioning the bad about Dubai and the good about the UK. Maybe after a UK winter and her house and car being broken into her view may be a little more balanced.

A large house in Cambridgeshire for the price of a one bedroom apartment in Dubai? What is she smoking? (And where can I get some ) I'm glad she is happy back in the UK and maybe now she will stay there as it is apparent she will never be happy anywhere else! Nothing wrong with that mind, not everybody wants to be an expat.

And finally, can somebody explain to me why it is suddenly trendy for the people who have chosen to live in Dubai to take a perverse pride in how bad it is?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:55 pm

A large 4 bed property in Cambridgeshire costs 187'000 compared to a 1 bed flat in Casa del mar in the marina for a mere 150'000 not much for your money there.

Perhaps she has had more bad exp that outweigh the good points.... It makes no difference where you live, its what your familiar with and where your more comfortable - A place you can call home, so just because you enjoy it, why knock other ppl for putting the place down!!

I have been home now for 6 months, enjoying the winter and as yet my home and my car has not been broken into and is not likely to either!

As I siad in an earlier post unless everyone is singing Dubai's praises then the discussion is light hearted and then someone lets of steam and the critism starts.... Esp as the lady is not on the board to defend herself.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:33 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

A large 4 bed property in Cambridgeshire costs 187'000 compared to a 1 bed flat in Casa del mar in the marina for a mere 150'000 not much for your money there.

Perhaps she has had more bad exp that outweigh the good points.... It makes no difference where you live, its what your familiar with and where your more comfortable - A place you can call home, so just because you enjoy it, why knock other ppl for putting the place down!!

I have been home now for 6 months, enjoying the winter and as yet my home and my car has not been broken into and is not likely to either!

As I siad in an earlier post unless everyone is singing Dubai's praises then the discussion is light hearted and then someone lets of steam and the critism starts.... Esp as the lady is not on the board to defend herself.

Well im gonna try and keep the best of both worlds, there are things i love about the UK (namely family and friends).
And things i love about Dubai.

people need to keep things in perspective. If things were so great in the UK, then they would never have left to become expats.
there is good and bad regardless of where you live, you just need to find the happy medium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.