Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Great offer in Saudi….but I’m a single gay man, help.

Great offer in Saudi….but I’m a single gay man, help.

Old Oct 25th 2021, 11:15 am
Just Joined

throwaway6000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Great offer in Saudi….but I’m a single gay man, help.

I think the title says it all. What are your thoughts? Am I mad to consider? I’ve lived in a few Middle Eastern countries and Egypt. This is with a great company, great package but is it worth the risk and what sort of lifestyle would I have?
Old Oct 25th 2021, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Great offer in Saudi….but I’m a single gay man, help.

Do you plan on going out on the pull in KSA? If not, I'm not sure what the issue is....
Old Oct 26th 2021, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I survived the Gulf as a gay man Granted I was in the UAE and Qatar. Didn't have issues.

If I were ever to go to Saudi (wouldn't necessarily say no to the right package but only for a specific number of years, probably two maximum because life is too short), just save your activities for R&R weekends in Dubai or back home. I'd not bother trying to date, or ahem, you know, locally. Just not worth the headache or risk. Two years will go by quickly.

I did know several gay men who worked in Saudi for a few years and they were fine because they had the same expectations as I outlined above and they walked away with a decent chunk of change. I don't doubt that with the VPN the apps are buzzing but I don't want to be that one person who runs afoul of the wrong person and ends up imprisoned, and that does happen every now and then. Things are more liberal on the compounds.

Old Oct 31st 2021, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Saudi is opening up to the world. But not that open.

You would have to be extremely discreet. I’d suggest you take the offer. Save up some cash and you can always fly out for a weekend getaway if things get too tough.