Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A great article on Dubai

A great article on Dubai

Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:35 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A great article on Dubai

The fastest-growing city on earth, Dubai is spending mind-boggling sums on construction and is about to swallow up P&O in its bid to be a global maritime power. Given the scale of its ambition, could it become the most important place on the planet?

Well written piece, maybe not a huge amount of new facts for us living here. but a very interesting article none the less.

Well written and pretty balanced. Interesting to see the opinions on Dubai from a broadsheet newspaper...

What do you think?

Boom Town
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:05 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A great article on Dubai

You never struck me as a Guardian reader auto - I don't think this was printed in "The Sun"
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:13 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
You never struck me as a Guardian reader auto - I don't think this was printed in "The Sun"
:scared:

Mon dieu! Is this the perception of me?...

*sighs*

*feels sadly misunderstood*
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:13 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Feels strange reading a more 'positive' article about Dubai
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:28 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
:scared:

Mon dieu! Is this the perception of me?...

*sighs*

*feels sadly misunderstood*
Mange Tout Rodder's and isn't the sadly misunderstood Truth Speak's line????
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:25 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Blunt journalism at its best. Very well written.

I once used these articles fro some work I did at Uni. U might enjoy reading it:

Part 1

Part 2

Enjoy!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:00 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this article in todays 7days gives a much better insight into Dubai.

http://www.7days.ae/local-news/no-stopping-roads.html

It is discussing the new highways to be built straight through that council estate called Emirates Hills.

Some of my favorite lines from the 'Gov't Representative'

'Al Tayer said last night that his staff would be happy to meet the Residents Steering Committee (HOA) to explain the scheme, but would not ask for their opinions or change the plans because it’s “none of their business”.'

“We are not in America or Europe where approval for projects can take up to five years because everyone has to be consulted,” he told 7DAYS last night.
---That's why the UAE is still a third world country...

The authority had consulted developer Emaar, as well as Nakheel and Dubai Holdings, before going ahead with the scheme, he said. “We only deal with the developers who own the land and I’m sure they informed their residents. It’s not our job to ask for every resident’s permission,” Al Tayer added.---I really like this one, it's for all those people who say they 'own' a property in Dubai...this proves it once again, you are all renting property in some way or another, you don't actually own anything and have no rights.

'Al Tayer said the notion that all residents opposed the project is not true, because it will only affect the properties on the road.'---Those people are just SOL!

Like I said, I think this gives a much better view of 'Do-Buy'!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:08 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5
I think this article in todays 7days gives a much better insight into Dubai.

http://www.7days.ae/local-news/no-stopping-roads.html

It is discussing the new highways to be built straight through that council estate called Emirates Hills.

Some of my favorite lines from the 'Gov't Representative'

'Al Tayer said last night that his staff would be happy to meet the Residents Steering Committee (HOA) to explain the scheme, but would not ask for their opinions or change the plans because it’s “none of their business”.'

“We are not in America or Europe where approval for projects can take up to five years because everyone has to be consulted,” he told 7DAYS last night.
---That's why the UAE is still a third world country...

The authority had consulted developer Emaar, as well as Nakheel and Dubai Holdings, before going ahead with the scheme, he said. “We only deal with the developers who own the land and I’m sure they informed their residents. It’s not our job to ask for every resident’s permission,” Al Tayer added.---I really like this one, it's for all those people who say they 'own' a property in Dubai...this proves it once again, you are all renting property in some way or another, you don't actually own anything and have no rights.

'Al Tayer said the notion that all residents opposed the project is not true, because it will only affect the properties on the road.'---Those people are just SOL!

Like I said, I think this gives a much better view of 'Do-Buy'!

'Do-Buy' is right. I think that the planned government development in the area was to be expected. Its only a matter of time before the two lane "boulevards" running through Dubai Marina are widened to 3 lane "highways" as well. Its pretty much a given, considering the ever deteriorating traffic situation in this city.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:10 am