Granola Dreams

Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Granola Dreams

I was dreaming while you were sleeping

Went to the market yesterday and realized there is such a plethora of dried fruits, seeds, nuts and grains here that it might be possible to make your own granola. I'm not much of a cook and the recipes I found on the net seem simple enough but most are made with sugar

Has anyone tried to make their own, if so, what would you substitute the sugar with and what holds all together? I'd like to keep it healthy as possible and if you have a favorite recipe please share.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granola Dreams

You'll need something to bind it, but could try a less processed sweetener such as agave syrup.

Don't bake it with the dried fruits as they'll burn, but add them afterwards.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:23 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea how to make granola bars but what we do is to chop and mix fruits (such as yellow peaches and apricots) and stew them slowly together with no added sugar. Then we mix this with organic yoghurt. I would guess that you could do this and add various nuts. It wouldn't be a granola bar but it would be a very tasty breakfast
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:29 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Granola doesn't have to be in a bar and you'd actually need more binding agent to make it like that.

I usually use a combination of oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds to which I add cinnamon, rice malt, a pinch of salt, some vegetable oil and a little brown sugar. Mix well to bind and spread on a baking tray. It should be wet enough to clumo naturally and you put it in a hottish oven until toasted to your liking. Once cooled a little, add favourite dried fruit, chopped if large. It keeps well in an airtight container.

<Nigella/>
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I make my own protein bars - using oats, protein powder, milk and some honey with a small handful of nuts and dried fruit
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Roasted my first ever almonds today, what a difference in taste!

Meow, you deserve the silver spoon award or is it golden. Would have never thought of agave syrup as a binding agent. I was thinking perhaps something like coconut flour and orange juice would work...I'm I heading in the right direction or is this a bad dream.

UKCityGent, that honey idea sound good too and have a source for wild raw honey from Yemen. I'm doing some research on what seeds & nuts contain the most protein so I won't need to add more. I do like Meow's idea of adding cinnamon, it has so many health benefits.

hnd, that sounds like my kind of breakfast!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

For nuts that pack a punch you can add soybean nuts and/or almonds - i usually just add a handful of mixed nuts - more for taste than the protein content (thats where the protein powder comes in). I think soybean has one of the highest protein per gram (or could be almond).

Isnt yemani honey supposed to be the best ? (or is it iranian ?)

Last edited by UKCityGent; Apr 11th 2013 at 3:27 am.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Use honey....or blend up some dates, then mix in whatever else you want and it'll bind nicely.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5#post10642095

I posted that in the big recipe thread in the Lounge. Works really well with apricots, pistachios, oats, sunflower/pumpkin seeds.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
For nuts that pack a punch you can add soybean nuts and/or almonds - i usually just add a handful of mixed nuts - more for taste than the protein content (thats where the protein powder comes in). I think soybean has one of the highest protein per gram (or could be almond).

Isnt yemani honey supposed to be the best ? (or is it iranian ?)
Packing a punch is what I want to achieve , not only protein but natural ingredients that are rich in amino acids & antioxidants as well. I do like dried cranberries sprinkled on a salad and next to blueberries they are really high in antioxidants, definitely will include those in the mix.

Have no idea which country's honey is better but the honey from Yemen is good. Pure maple syrup might work, would give a different flavor for sure.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Use honey....or blend up some dates, then mix in whatever else you want and it'll bind nicely.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5#post10642095

I posted that in the big recipe thread in the Lounge. Works really well with apricots, pistachios, oats, sunflower/pumpkin seeds.
Bob, those look like something you find here in the saudi sweet shops. In the land of dates they must be included, just need to find some that haven't been sprayed to death with pesticide.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
Bob, those look like something you find here in the saudi sweet shops. In the land of dates they must be included, just need to find some that haven't been sprayed to death with pesticide.
I've seen them made into bars, some recipes had they baked a little to make them firmer, but I couldn't be bothered with that, plus at this size, the little kids can nom them down like vapid zombies
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What's the difference between granola and muesli?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What's the difference between granola and muesli?
muesli is dusty

Forgot all these homemade granolas - too much hard work. Get Lizzy's organic - 22AED for a tiny bag. lovely stuff.