Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Graduate job offer in Dubai

Graduate job offer in Dubai

Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

HTale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graduate job offer in Dubai

Hi there guys, I'm new to the forum, and I'm in need of some pragmatic advice from some wise souls to enlighten me on my situation! I don't know how unique my situation is, but I've decided to start off a career in Dubai, and I'm hopefully going to be working as a banker for a large IB at the Dubai International Finance Centre. I'm from an Arab background, speak fluent Arabic, and I'm very acustomed to Arab culture, so (hopefully), adjusting won't be much of a problem. My only problem is in living costs. The contract has come through, and it is AED192,000 p/a.

Now, my expectations are low. I'm not really going to be living a lavish lifestyle, nor am I looking for a "better of quality of life" ; I'm merely going for the experience given current economic conditions here. I've seen some studios in Jumeirah going for AED90K - 100K, and so really, my question is, will the rest be enough to....survive? I'm not entirely sure about the bonus situation at the bank, but I'm going to assume I'm going to get zilch for now.

Finally, where are the best places to live if I'm going to work at the DIFC? Bear in mind I cannot and will not drive in Dubai; I've had countless near death experiences driving for only one hour in the streets of Casablanca, and Dubai is apparently considered worse!

Anyway, thank you all very much in advance. Please bear with me, I've trawled through the search facilities and I just couldn't find anything.

Once again, thanks.

HTale.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:51 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Graduate job offer in Dubai

Originally Posted by HTale
Hi there guys, I'm new to the forum, and I'm in need of some pragmatic advice from some wise souls to enlighten me on my situation! I don't know how unique my situation is, but I've decided to start off a career in Dubai, and I'm hopefully going to be working as a banker for a large IB at the Dubai International Finance Centre. I'm from an Arab background, speak fluent Arabic, and I'm very acustomed to Arab culture, so (hopefully), adjusting won't be much of a problem. My only problem is in living costs. The contract has come through, and it is AED192,000 p/a.

Now, my expectations are low. I'm not really going to be living a lavish lifestyle, nor am I looking for a "better of quality of life" ; I'm merely going for the experience given current economic conditions here. I've seen some studios in Jumeirah going for AED90K - 100K, and so really, my question is, will the rest be enough to....survive? I'm not entirely sure about the bonus situation at the bank, but I'm going to assume I'm going to get zilch for now.

Finally, where are the best places to live if I'm going to work at the DIFC? Bear in mind I cannot and will not drive in Dubai; I've had countless near death experiences driving for only one hour in the streets of Casablanca, and Dubai is apparently considered worse!

Anyway, thank you all very much in advance. Please bear with me, I've trawled through the search facilities and I just couldn't find anything.

Once again, thanks.

HTale.

16,000 DH a month for a fresh graduate is not a very bad start. 90% of fresh graduates here earn around 8000DH so you are twice better off than most of the fresher’s.
If you want a much more detail this is what I would do in your situation.
2500Dh per month for a car lease or a car loan
6000DH for a shared flat with another bachelor
You don't need more than 4000dh in lifestyle and entertainment money.
And 3500dh saving.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:09 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

If you're working at the DIFC and won't drive yourself, your choices are 1) employ a driver, 2) spend a lot of money on taxis (and a lot of time waiting for them at DIFC - the wait reaches 1 hour plus in the evening), or 3) live in Business Bay and walk to work.

I'd recommend 3), but the rent is expensive.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by typical
If you're working at the DIFC and won't drive yourself, your choices are 1) employ a driver, 2) spend a lot of money on taxis (and a lot of time waiting for them at DIFC - the wait reaches 1 hour plus in the evening), or 3) live in Business Bay and walk to work.

I'd recommend 3), but the rent is expensive.
Tiger989 and typical, thank you both. Would renting out in Business Bay pay back in the long term, when compared with taking a taxi to work? For instance, if I did rent out at Marina Pearl or Jumeirah, how much would an average taxi ride from these two places to the DIFC cost?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Tiger989 and typical, thank you both. Would renting out in Business Bay pay back in the long term, when compared with taking a taxi to work? For instance, if I did rent out at Marina Pearl or Jumeirah, how much would an average taxi ride from these two places to the DIFC cost?
cab journey from jumeirah 1 to difc would be about 15/20 dhs max...

MM, xx
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:06 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
cab journey from jumeirah 1 to difc would be about 15/20 dhs max...

MM, xx
In a normal cab yes, but good luck finding one around the DIFC at going home time... the normal cabbies avoid it because the DIFC staff give preference to their 'special' cabs at twice the price...
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by typical
In a normal cab yes, but good luck finding one around the DIFC at going home time... the normal cabbies avoid it because the DIFC staff give preference to their 'special' cabs at twice the price...
Thanks guys for all of your responses. I'd just like to know, what the likelihood of finding some good shared accomodation in areas in and around the DIFC is? For instance, Al Satwa, Old Town, Zabeel, and the Business Bay? Where do I begin searching? I don't know why, but I'm actually exasperated now, and there's at least 9 months left until I go!!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Take the plunge and drive - it's really not that bad once you get used to it! Relying on taxi's will soon get pretty annoying, especially after a long day at work when you are trying to get home. Driving in the long run is much easier
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Oh and you beign searching on www.dubizzle.com for property
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrskpd
Take the plunge and drive - it's really not that bad once you get used to it! Relying on taxi's will soon get pretty annoying, especially after a long day at work when you are trying to get home. Driving in the long run is much easier
The thing is, I'm pretty sure I could get away with it, but I don't have a driving licence, just the provisional. So, in actual matter of fact, unless I pass my driving test here in the UK (far too expensive), that just really cannot happen. But guys, what do you think of this Dubai Metro that's going to open in September 2009? I will have free accomodation for one month (August - September), by which time I'll have to find accomodation of my own. Now, I know arabs - they say 9pm, they mean midnight, they say September, they mean December. What's the likelihood they will open in time, and should I risk getting something in JLT or Marina which will be on the red line, but an absolute disaster if I have to catch the taxi?

Thanks mrskpd for the website, it's extremely useful.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:06 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiger989
16,000 DH a month for a fresh graduate is not a very bad start. 90% of fresh graduates here earn around 8000DH so you are twice better off than most of the fresher’s.
If you want a much more detail this is what I would do in your situation.
2500Dh per month for a car lease or a car loan
6000DH for a shared flat with another bachelor
You don't need more than 4000dh in lifestyle and entertainment money.
And 3500dh saving.
Hi Tiger,

Okay, I admit, I'm not British. But on a salary like that, saving 3.500 AED isn't someone creating a mega huge gap in pension fund build up? In Holland I loose 2% of my government pension for every year I spend as a none resident. And reservations for returning home "salary" (unemployment I mean, I assume like in Holland your not entitle to any kind of unemployment money when going back for good. So you reserve part of the UAE salary as UK salary) and medical insurance in the UK to mention a few? 3.500 AED doesn't seem a lot to me. I was told for me that I would need to put aside at least € 2.750 a month (+/- 12.900 AED) if I wanted some kind of benefits from my stay in the UAE, and to cover these expenses.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Dec 9th 2008 at 1:09 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:51 pm
W10

The poster is probably 21 or 22.

So the salary is fine. It will only increase as his experience does.

Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

brieffly back to travelling, taxi's won't be a problem in the evening if you are joining as an IBing Analyst. You won't be heading home before 9/10pm (or later).
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

rambar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, I recently (June) started working as an Analyst 1 in an international IB (not bulge bracket) in DIFC and I get paid 229k all in...

I find that this does not allow for much room to save as I pay 130k for a one bed in the Greens, 1800 a month for a car, and remember that lunch etc in the DIFC is not cheap. Add on living expenses, utilities, entertainment (I don't go out much being an IB analyst) and you'll find that your salary won't go too far... Just from my personal experience though...

Last edited by rambar; Dec 11th 2008 at 3:28 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

holland is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again, thanks.

HTale.
Salary wise, difficult to tell. Depends on your lifestyle. What worries me is that you will start the job in Sept 2009! Everything has changed by that time, so if you still got the job offer by then, it will give you enough time to re-negociate. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.