Reload this Page >

Grad Students in Dubai

Grad Students in Dubai

Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Christrfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grad Students in Dubai

Hi,

Im due to finish my degree in may and im looking to travel the world and enjoy myself for a year or two. At the moment my plans are to go to either America or Australia. Ive already worked in America last summer and would love to do it again, but due to cost of a visa for america it puts me off. Plus the idea of a been there, done that! So taking that in to account Australia is my main option (at the moment).

Taking all things in to consideration, I was wondering if it may be a good idea to try Dubai or somewhere similar? At the moment im not sure where i want to go, appart from stated above! I just want to make the most of my time whilst i am completely free to any option available! I am your typical student! i enjoy going out and enjoying myself (while i can!) and i would appreciate any suggestions of where to go/ what to do!

Any help would be brilliant!

Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:26 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grad Students in Dubai

Originally Posted by Christrfc
Hi,

Im due to finish my degree in may and im looking to travel the world and enjoy myself for a year or two. At the moment my plans are to go to either America or Australia. Ive already worked in America last summer and would love to do it again, but due to cost of a visa for america it puts me off. Plus the idea of a been there, done that! So taking that in to account Australia is my main option (at the moment).

Taking all things in to consideration, I was wondering if it may be a good idea to try Dubai or somewhere similar? At the moment im not sure where i want to go, appart from stated above! I just want to make the most of my time whilst i am completely free to any option available! I am your typical student! i enjoy going out and enjoying myself (while i can!) and i would appreciate any suggestions of where to go/ what to do!

Thanks

Chris
I've not heard of anyone coming here straight after university to work and enjoy themselves for a year or two - you would need friends/family here to help out.

It's not like, for example, going to Australia and getting casual work to pay for rent, food and beers - you will find workers from Asia will work for a pittance compared to what people from Europe, America or Australia are expecting.

Dubai gets more expensive by the month.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Chris
You would struggle to find work out here without actual experience.
Unfortunately a degree alone will not be enough out here.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:11 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I completely agree with the above. There are a couple of people on Facebook I've run into who came here after graduating (plus some in my company).

There are grad-level jobs in financial services and consulting, though they're competitive and would hardly give you the time to enjoy yourself that fruit-picking in Australia would... it really depends what you're after.

Start by looking at companies with graduate schemes who are growing their offices in Dubai.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by typical
Not sure I completely agree with the above. There are a couple of people on Facebook I've run into who came here after graduating (plus some in my company).

There are grad-level jobs in financial services and consulting, though they're competitive and would hardly give you the time to enjoy yourself that fruit-picking in Australia would... it really depends what you're after.

Start by looking at companies with graduate schemes who are growing their offices in Dubai.
there seems to be a lot of graduate trainee jobs for recruiters at the moment on the monster uk site... you could go in through that route... pretty good money as well... don't have to do much either lol
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

rebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

I moved straight out here from University last summer. I did it on my own and have managed fine. I did however find the job before I left the UK.

Also, it might depend on what you study. My company has a few UK graduates in different fields.

I felt the same as you when I left uni, I wanted to travel and saw this as a good opportunity. Would still like to move on and try somewhere new, but Dubai is a great place to experience if you can get a job here.