Reload this Page >

Got rear-ended. Now what?

Got rear-ended. Now what?

Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got rear-ended. Now what?

Yep.

But the great thing about having a Pajero is that the huge tyre strapped to the rear door is a very effective bumper. It caused far more damage to the poor fellow who hit me at the very mild speed of 10 mph when he failed to notice that I'd come to a full stop at a T-intersection in the Marina.

We were all easygoing about it. He fully admitted responsibility, the damage to my car was restricted to the metal strip that straps the tyre to the door, the police gave me the green slip etc cetera, and we agreed to meet for drinks at some point.

In today's morning light I realised most of what I assumed to be the damage was actually dust from his car and that the extent of my damage is a couple of deep gashes scratching the paint and a shallow dent or two. Had the boy wash the car and it's hardly noticeable with the dust gone. Since I think a proper 4x4 needs to look a bit beat up I couldn't care less.

But with a mindful eye on future resale value it's probably sensible to have the paint scratches cleared up. With the green slip I should be able to have the insurance company cover it, right? Which brings up another point - is there a time limit for reporting accidents to the insurance company? Do I need to do it immediately or can I wait six weeks or so?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:18 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got rear-ended. Now what?

Don't forget there may be a substantial policy excess AND next year's insurance premium will go up if you make a claim.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
AND next year's insurance premium will go up if you make a claim.
I was afraid of that. Best to let this go and wait till I resell the car and have it touched up then?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:49 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget there may be a substantial policy excess AND next year's insurance premium will go up if you make a claim.
Isn't it like the UK or Oz, the other person has admitted blame and received the pink slip. So, I would have assumed that the other insurance companies pays for the repair and that you do not have to claim against your own insurer?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MacScot
Isn't it like the UK or Oz, the other person has admitted blame and received the pink slip. So, I would have assumed that the other insurance companies pays for the repair and that you do not have to claim against your own insurer?
If pigs could fly! Many motorists don't have insurance, despite it being illegal. Moreover, those that do have cover may be afraid to claim, especially if its a company or rented vehicle.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I was stationary at the lights in June and was rear ended and pushed into the car in front (the guy behind me was doing about 60km when he hit and I was pushed into the car in front so both ends of my car were smashed in). That was mid-June and I haven't seen my car since. The other guys insurance is paying for the damage but it took a month for his insurers to approve the repairs and its taken another month for repairs so far.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Yep.

But the great thing about having a Pajero is that the huge tyre strapped to the rear door is a very effective bumper. It caused far more damage to the poor fellow who hit me at the very mild speed of 10 mph when he failed to notice that I'd come to a full stop at a T-intersection in the Marina.

We were all easygoing about it. He fully admitted responsibility, the damage to my car was restricted to the metal strip that straps the tyre to the door, the police gave me the green slip etc cetera, and we agreed to meet for drinks at some point.

In today's morning light I realised most of what I assumed to be the damage was actually dust from his car and that the extent of my damage is a couple of deep gashes scratching the paint and a shallow dent or two. Had the boy wash the car and it's hardly noticeable with the dust gone. Since I think a proper 4x4 needs to look a bit beat up I couldn't care less.

But with a mindful eye on future resale value it's probably sensible to have the paint scratches cleared up. With the green slip I should be able to have the insurance company cover it, right? Which brings up another point - is there a time limit for reporting accidents to the insurance company? Do I need to do it immediately or can I wait six weeks or so?
The claim won't increase your premiums.
Insurance premiums in UAE are based on the insured value of the vehicle ± no (pink slip) claims bonus. Your own insurer will sort you out. I'd do it straight away.

Good luck. And thankfully this was a minor collision with no injury.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there are any particular time limitations (within reason of course).

I had to have some repairs done on my wife's car after a minor altercation and when I got round to getting it done it was probably getting on for 2 months after the original incident. The repairers didn't seem to care as long as they had the police report.

It didn't affect our insurance renewal premium this year either - as mentioned, it's based on the value of the vehicle.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:23 am
Account Closed

I know for a fact that, if you have a motor accident, your premium will be affected. Why else do you think Underwriters are employed? If no accidents, your premium should go down as the depreciated value of the car decreases with age. If the premium stays roughly the same or increases, you should know the reason why.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

I know for a fact that, if you have a motor accident, your premium will be affected. Why else do you think Underwriters are employed? If no accidents, your premium should go down as the depreciated value of the car decreases with age. If the premium stays roughly the same or increases, you should know the reason why.
i concur...if you claim against your insurance your premium will increase for the following year.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:32 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i concur...if you claim against your insurance your premium will increase for the following year.
Of course the premium goes up if you claim against your insurance. Effectively what happens is that the risk associated with your policy has increased hence the need for higher premium.

However, the point of assigning blame is so that if you have an accident and the other party is assigned the blame your insurance company will seek reimbursement from that party's insurance company. If the other party has no insurance you're obviously f.cuked, and will have to cover the cost through your insurance.

If the premium goes up based on the fact that you claimed and the other party paid up, this would be very different from how it happens in most of the world. Of course the way risk is assessed here may be very different, and the rules may be applied a bit more harshly than elsewhere.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Of course the premium goes up if you claim against your insurance. Effectively what happens is that the risk associated with your policy has increased hence the need for higher premium.

However, the point of assigning blame is so that if you have an accident and the other party is assigned the blame your insurance company will seek reimbursement from that party's insurance company. If the other party has no insurance you're obviously f.cuked, and will have to cover the cost through your insurance.

If the premium goes up based on the fact that you claimed and the other party paid up, this would be very different from how it happens in most of the world. Of course the way risk is assessed here may be very different, and the rules may be applied a bit more harshly than elsewhere.
In my previous car I was t-boned, received the green slip, and repaired it through insurance. The following year my premium still lowered in line with depreciation. From my experience there was no penalty if you have the green slip.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:46 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
In my previous car I was t-boned, received the green slip, and repaired it through insurance. The following year my premium still lowered in line with depreciation. From my experience there was no penalty if you have the green slip.
Exactly what I would expect..