Goodbye to Saudi

Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Goodbye to Saudi

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Ha Scamp? We are finished! After 4 years in ME I can only work here. And I hate pushing my own shopping trolley to the car so that's another reason.
I was laughing because it's certainly got a lot of truth in it.

You work in a different way here and going back will need a level (differing for everyone) of re=-integration into how you're meant to handle business in the UK.

I'm a lot ruder to older people here. "DO YOU WANT THE ****ING JOB IN RIYADH OR NOT??" to quote myself once. (He didn't).
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:07 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cob216

Are there any positives to coming to work in Riyadh. My wife will remain at home and not move out with me.
You will become a home brew expert.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

After a year or two in KSA you really are unemployable in the Outside World. Enjoy !
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

homersthirdnipple is an unknown quantity at this point

I escaped after 10 months, it came to a point where the company was skint and couldn,t even afford a bag of pipe fittings for our subcontractors, took the view that my wages will be the next that they couldn,t pay. The compound was absolutely dire, security was next to nil and only 2 westerners.
Offered to leave if they paid my month and one in front, plus anything else that was due under Saudi employement law, got my old job back in the UK as soon as I got back.
Returned home in October and still brew wine and cider, its a habit I can,t break!!!!
Would not return to Saudi but would maybe have another crack at the middle east.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by homersthirdnipple
I escaped after 10 months, it came to a point where the company was skint and couldn,t even afford a bag of pipe fittings for our subcontractors, took the view that my wages will be the next that they couldn,t pay. The compound was absolutely dire, security was next to nil and only 2 westerners.
Offered to leave if they paid my month and one in front, plus anything else that was due under Saudi employement law, got my old job back in the UK as soon as I got back.
Returned home in October and still brew wine and cider, its a habit I can,t break!!!!
Would not return to Saudi but would maybe have another crack at the middle east.
Did you work for a local firm in Saudi?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scot47
After a year or two in KSA you really are unemployable in the Outside World. Enjoy !
I worked with some guys back in the UK who had spent time in Saudi building a couple of universities. They were enjoying high wages, no mortagage and high levels of respect in general from both employer and colleagues. But they certainly had a much more aggressive way of getting things done, poor contractors. Having said that, for architects who couldn't use autocad or let alone word or outlook, I was impressed by their employability.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

homersthirdnipple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Did you work for a local firm in Saudi?
Yeah it was like working for a 1 man band but backed by a multi billion sheik very strange
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by homersthirdnipple
Yeah it was like working for a 1 man band but backed by a multi billion sheik very strange
Sounds familiar...