Goodbye to Saudi

Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

knickerdropofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goodbye to Saudi

Good decision, Hope you get your itch scratched.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Going to KSA you need :-

A guarantee of an Iqama
Decent Housing
Education Allowance
Medical Cover to get treatment in one of the better hospitals

If these are not on offer then go elsewhere. In my 17 years in Saudi I was HORRIFIED to see the conditions that some teachers would accept.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Advantage of the business visa: You can NOT get fired! At leas, not until you get iqama. If you have some employment contract - this contract will come into force only after you get iqama.

If the company fires you - you have the possibility to sue the company. You may chose who to sue: head office (outside the KSA) and/or the subsidary (in the KSA) because they have brought you to KSA without proper visa exposing you to various problems.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not go on a business visa if you are, in fact, working. You will be shafted.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Scott, it is just the opposite!

a) You get the contract with the company which will specify "coming into force" once you get iqama.
b) They send you to KSA on business visa..

What better can happen to you?

They can not fire before you get iqama - because they will not dare to say that you were employed at all. If they try to do it, you can sue them and easily win the trial. How can one company say "we terminate your employment" if they can not employ you at all?

Problems appear as soon as you get iqama: you can be fired the very next day.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:20 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kazic
Scott, it is just the opposite!

a) You get the contract with the company which will specify "coming into force" once you get iqama.
b) They send you to KSA on business visa..

What better can happen to you?

They can not fire before you get iqama - because they will not dare to say that you were employed at all. If they try to do it, you can sue them and easily win the trial. How can one company say "we terminate your employment" if they can not employ you at all?

Problems appear as soon as you get iqama: you can be fired the very next day.
An interesting theory. Or they can just not renew your business visit visa and see how you manage that one.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
An interesting theory. Or they can just not renew your business visit visa and see how you manage that one.
...or they just tell you to leave because they've changed their mind...
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:09 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by kazic
They can stop paying you a salary. How you can ask for it you are not employed?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:11 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Basically, you have a lot more protection having IQAMA, contract and being past probation then staying on business visit visa. In fact on business visit visa the only protection you have is the reputation and trust in your employer. I did it, because I have known the company and MD for years. Otherwise no chance I would come on business visit visa (unless I was without work with nothing to lose).
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

cob216 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading the comments here is really putting me off the idea of taking up an offer in Riyadh. It's a substantial offer, including covering accommodation. healthcare, flights, company car etc. But reading what everyone is saying about the visa situation and the risk of being let go does not inspire any confidence.

Are there any positives to coming to work in Riyadh. My wife will remain at home and not move out with me.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:35 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cob216
My wife will remain at home and not move out with me.
That's a positive, no?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cob216
Reading the comments here is really putting me off the idea of taking up an offer in Riyadh. It's a substantial offer, including covering accommodation. healthcare, flights, company car etc. But reading what everyone is saying about the visa situation and the risk of being let go does not inspire any confidence.

Are there any positives to coming to work in Riyadh. My wife will remain at home and not move out with me.
Money and you will learn a lot about how not to trust people and micromanage follow-ups. But take care not to stay too long as you will be unemployable in Europe for the same reasons.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Money and you will learn a lot about how not to trust people and micromanage follow-ups. But take care not to stay too long as you will be unemployable in Europe for the same reasons.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

what matters is if they have block visa for you (in your case obviously not) and if not what strings they can pull to get it. If wasta is not there, it's a losing battle and better get out.
Wot he says - The block visa system is impossible. The company applies for a visa for a British Engineer and the they get given a visa for a Mongolian Vet. Only large companies employing at least several hundred staff are able to get block visas with enough variety for them to be able to match visas against nationalities and positions. Even then a company may request a block visa for 100 Indian welders and end up getting a visa for 100 Vietnamese pig farmers. Companies never get a block visa that matches the nationality and profession of the people that they apply for and are trying to recruit.

Companies with less than 20 or 30 staff have absolutely no chance.

The moral is if you are offered a job in KSA working for a western based company with only a few staff in KSA then don't expect them to be able to get a visa that matches your nationality and profession.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Scamp
Ha Scamp? We are finished! After 4 years in ME I can only work here. And I hate pushing my own shopping trolley to the car so that's another reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.