British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Goodbye to Saudi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/goodbye-saudi-783381/)

Ash786 Jan 11th 2013 1:41 pm

Goodbye to Saudi

I have returned to the UK after a six month stint in the land that sense forgot. My Iqama didn't materalise (even though my employer said that it would all be sorted with 6 weeks of arriving in Jeddah in July 2012). My original plan was to have mine and then my family's Iqama sorted by december 2012 and I would come back to the UK and take them back with me. I asked the company about it and they didn't really give me a responce and with such uncertainty I tendered my resignation. The fact that it was accepted without question implies that there was something more serious afoot. I'm just glad I still have a little bit of sanity left. The country is far too complicated for it's own good.

I will still be on BE as I have actually enjoyed the ME forum, plus working overseas is still an itch that hasn't been fully scratched. Where I will scratch it is the next question, possibly the Far East, maybe the Caribbean, who knows.

I hope any comments/suggestions I have given has been useful; likewise many thanks for all the good advice I have received from various people on here. It just leaves me to say good luck to you all, so long and thanks for all the fish.

flares Jan 11th 2013 2:08 pm

Re: Goodbye to Saudi

short and sweet Ash.

Like your quote - 'The country is far too complicated for it's own good'

Next posting will seem so easy!!

Bob Jan 11th 2013 2:41 pm

Good luck with where ever the next gig might take you! :)

Peter F Jan 11th 2013 2:59 pm

Tell me about it. I was promised an Iqama too and instead got a multi entry visit visa and 7 days at the causeway each day!

scot47 Jan 11th 2013 10:36 pm

First rule for KSA is - CHOOSE YOUR MASTERS CAREFULLY. It really is crucial. I was lucky. My last two stints there were with good employers. A lot easier that my first years in the Kingdom back in the 1970s !

britexpat76 Jan 12th 2013 1:37 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10478123)
First rule for KSA is - CHOOSE YOUR MASTERS CAREFULLY. It really is crucial. I was lucky. My last two stints there were with good employers. A lot easier that my first years in the Kingdom back in the 1970s !

1st rule is,never work there. Why the **** work in the dark ages. I would rather stab myself to death with a paper clip.

Debowing Jan 12th 2013 2:42 am

If your employer was no good, then it makes no sense to remain with them, Good luck with your new job. I was just dumped by my employer in Thailand as the Australian MNG sold the business to a local thai co. , they didn't want me so now I am getting ready to go to Libya with another previous employer...Should be fun...

Paracletus Jan 12th 2013 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Peter F (Post 10477418)
7 days at the causeway each day!

That's a whole lot of causway each day. :)

mentalist Jan 12th 2013 6:59 am

It took courage and common sense to resign so soon. Congratulations. You probably made a very wise decision. Plenty more fish in the sea, jobswise.

Round-Bum Jan 13th 2013 5:39 am

Probably a very sensible decision given your situation, I hope everything works out for you - wherever you end up!

I'm lucky to have a reasonable support network here, and entering a joint venture with a Saudi company that has a boss that seems really decent. Without that, I don't know if I would stay. That said, I'm a head down, crack on type of bloke, so I'd probably stick it for a while before caving!

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 13th 2013 6:12 am

Good move Ash, life is way too short to be ****ed around by morons.

Especially when you've got your family involved.

Good luck.

Ash786 Jan 14th 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10478123)
First rule for KSA is - CHOOSE YOUR MASTERS CAREFULLY.

This is what I did. I worked for a very reputable German company and pre-contract I emailed about 20-25 questions about the job and only accepted once the responces were satisfactory.

The problem was one of timing. Becasue I didnt get the Iqama, I had to come home as I was on a 180 day business visa which was about to expire. They asked me to re-apply for a new business visa, I asked them where my Iqama was. Thay then went silent. I did make an effort to settle in Jeddah; looked at accomodation (inside and outside compound), went to JPGS etc. The real problem was of timing. No Iqama for me meant no Iqama or visit visa for the family. This would then rule out a September 2013 start for the school as the application process (including entry test) for JPGS is between Jan-March. The upshot of all this was that my daughter would not realsitically gain entry to JPGS until Sept 2014 which means another 12-18 months without the family which is way too long. I took the only decision I could for the best interests of my wife and kids.

I more hacked off by the fact that they were not open and honest with me about the Iqama situation. At interview I didn't over-sell myself; I was realistic about what I could and couldn't do and they based their offer on that which is fair enough. As it is, they wanted a British engineer with 10 years experience, and sadly for them that is what they have just lost.

No point taking the risk with so much uncertainty. A Filipino ex-colleague of mine has told me in the last few days that the main project that they wanted they haven't got yet and the two that they were bidding for as back up just in case they didn't get the main one they have also lost, so i think I made the right decision...time will tell

Thanks for all the best wishes and as has been said previously, life is to short to be f***ed around by people who should no better

ATB

scot47 Jan 14th 2013 12:53 pm

Lots of reasons to INSIST on getting an Iqama if you go. With any other type of visa (business etc) you are restricted in what you can do. Life in KSA is problematic enough without being messed around like this.

Desert Dubliner Jan 14th 2013 8:02 pm

Saudi is like Hotel California..... you can check out but you can never leave. :)

I don't think school is limited to transfer only at the start of the year. But the IQAMA issue is a serious one and if no resolution was in sight (and most important is to be aware what the PRO is actually doing and where they are in the process) then your decision is probably correct. In my case the IQAMA came after 8 months after pulling some serious wasta. It doesn't matter if your company is reputable or not, what matters is if they have block visa for you (in your case obviously not) and if not what strings they can pull to get it. If wasta is not there, it's a losing battle and better get out.

Ozbek Jan 15th 2013 4:06 am

Best of luck in your future ventures! :)