Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Auckland, Hello Riyadh

Goodbye Auckland, Hello Riyadh

Old May 30th 2013, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

mmemooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goodbye Auckland, Hello Riyadh

So I've been lurking for awhile now and thought its about time I stick my head in to say hello. Hello!

My husband works for IBM Auckland and had a phone interview for a job at IBM Riyadh. The interview went really well and tomorrow he leaves for Saudi for a two week stay.

Slightly different because he already works for IBM but is this the standard process, to go over for so long? The job is no longer being advertised and as far as we know they haven't interviewed anyone else. But he hasn't officially been offered the job.

Does anyone have any experience with IBM in Saudi?
Old May 31st 2013, 10:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Auckland, Hello Riyadh

I am sure someone will be along shortly, it's Friday here (day off) so most people are out and about, when they are all back at work you find the board a lot busier. Welcome to BE
Old May 31st 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You will certainly miss the outdoor life and the variable climate. Don't be surprised if hubby gets second thoughts when he returns from his two week visit, especially if you are non-Muslims. You would half to pay me more than double to move there.
Old May 31st 2013, 5:40 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the negative comments that are sure to come . It's what you make of it.
Old May 31st 2013, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Riyadh has a varied climate too. It may be too hot for comfort in the summer, but in the winter it can be rather pleasant.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Just dropped the Mr at the airport.

Thanks for the input, I'm not too worried about the climate and I know it'll be a complete culture shock for all of us (we have two young kids) but we're up for a new experience. Hubby and I are British but the kids are Kiwis, looking forward to getting out of our comfort zone, doing a bit of travel (NZ is so out of the way from everywhere) and saving some $$. Hubby is ex British military so is used to sand and extreme living.

No one here work in IT then?
Old Jun 1st 2013, 5:52 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely got good travel options from KSA . Within a four hour flight radius there are some great choices .
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Yeah thats awesome, 4 hours would only get us to Australia here.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the world map, KSA is in the center of that great Africa-Europe-Asia land mass. which German geopoliticians used to call "The World-island" My students often pointed out to me how Mecca really is at the centre oif the world !
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Thats pretty cool. We'd like to do some 4WD road tripping, not sure on how safe that would be? We go sand duning here in our landcruiser, obviously on a smaller scale to the Middle East lol.

Hubby is enroute to Riyadh from Dubai as I type.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by mmemooks
So I've been lurking for awhile now and thought its about time I stick my head in to say hello. Hello!

My husband works for IBM Auckland and had a phone interview for a job at IBM Riyadh. The interview went really well and tomorrow he leaves for Saudi for a two week stay.

Slightly different because he already works for IBM but is this the standard process, to go over for so long? The job is no longer being advertised and as far as we know they haven't interviewed anyone else. But he hasn't officially been offered the job.

Does anyone have any experience with IBM in Saudi?
The most important thing for you is to be in a nice compound. It is more like normal life inside the walls (except No alcohol and the brew your own taste like s***).
In my opinion Riyadh is a horrible place to live as a man and I guess it's even worse for a woman but some people seem to say it's ok

The only reason to go there is to earn money and count down the days before your release
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:18 am
Just Joined

lol hmm fun times then! I figure it'll only be for a few years, I have a uni degree to finish so will focus on that, and shopping etc.
I think hubby will struggle with the no alcohol thing, its a big part of his life right now and enjoys making his own cider. I'm not a big drinker so can't say I'd miss it that much (she says feeling slightly tipsy after downing two cans of vodka mixers)
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Quackers
No alcohol and the brew your own taste like s***).
Depends on the "brewmeister" - much about darkness and leaving it long enough, happy to share tried and tested recipes and methods via PM
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

If you're coming from NZ bring one of these...

http://www.williamswarn.com/The-WilliamsWarn
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:40 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about KSA or IBM but we moved last year from Auckland to Qatar and after the initial frustrations have settled really well.

As people have said the biggest difference is the lack of outdoor things to do and the restrictions for women. Although the double standards and application of certain rules dependent on who you are comes very close behind - you do get used to it though.

The ability to travel is a real plus for us. As you said 4 hours from Auckland and you are in Aussie which is no real change, I suppose the Islands is the place to go for some different culture (although you could go to Manukau or GI for this). People have given us some strange looks when we have said we just want to go back to the UK or Europe for a bit - after 7 years in NZ this has been a big plus for us.

Good luck with the move - if it happens and make the most of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.