Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this a good teaching package?

Is this a good teaching package?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

BettyCrocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is this a good teaching package?

I've been offered 10,000AED per month not with GEMS for 2 yrs experience....same kinda package otherwise but I will have to pay utilities.....I think with your experience you should be looking at at least 10,000 per month minimum
x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

PuRe is an unknown quantity at this point

I was serious about VES - you wont be able to negotiate and from what I hear that is least of your problems. You can only really negotiate when its ate in the day and they are desperate.

For your experience I would look at salary from 11kdhs, I have 6 years and I am on more than that.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:27 pm
Shazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

shazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to all

What do u mean its the least of my problems pure?

I have told them I am only interested in the position if the pay is negotiable.

You're right though, with my experience that pay is peanuts

That school hasnt got many good reviews on the net either.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:44 am
Just Joined

jembo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Is this a good teaching package?

I would email the gems schools directly (and others) with your CV and cover letter, all details are available online. I did this and had a very positive response and had several offers (after interviews) with a variety of schools, was able to pick and chose and i only have 3 years teaching experience. send me a message and i'll copy my list of schools and heads names I collected
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

With 5 years teaching experience, salary should be around 11-13,000dhs per month at present scales.
On top should be medical (excluding dental), annual flights to Uk, 1 bed apt and any job specific allowances.

Note that Sharjah is NOT Dubai and is generally dry - no alcohol, unless you go to Sharjah Wanderers Club.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Shazia, I have just moved to Abu Dhabi last last week. My wife is a secondary shcool teacher with 6 years experience in UK she earns arround 2k after tax in UK and she she has been told by agencies to expect 14000 - 20000 per month not including any package as I have a very good package provided by my company for the family
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

PuRe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fsazhar
HI Shazia, I have just moved to Abu Dhabi last last week. My wife is a secondary shcool teacher with 6 years experience in UK she earns arround 2k after tax in UK and she she has been told by agencies to expect 14000 - 20000 per month not including any package as I have a very good package provided by my company for the family
thats assuming that they would pay her on an overseas package... otherwise its local. Which agency was that fsazhar maybe I need to move location like the sound of 20kdhs but with all the trimings.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:24 pm
Shazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

shazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to all

Thanks for your advice guys... I know what to look for when I am offered packages etc..... Do schools often offer u little and wait for you to negotiate or is it normally this is what we offer, take it or leave it?

As for alcohol, it's not a problem for me as I don't drink, more savings for me then
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazia710
Thanks for your advice guys... I know what to look for when I am offered packages etc..... Do schools often offer u little and wait for you to negotiate or is it normally this is what we offer, take it or leave it?

As for alcohol, it's not a problem for me as I don't drink, more savings for me then
The salary offered is generally the salary, full stop.
You should ask the salary at interview and if it doesn't reach your minimum requirements, you should say so and see what their reaction is (likely to be the end of the interview!).