Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Good Souqs Anyone?

Good Souqs Anyone?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:14 am
  #1  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,028
lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Souqs Anyone?

We have a family of four Kenyan Brits staying with us and they are now fed up with the modern shopping malls and stuff. They want to visit a traditional souq. The only one that springs to mind is the Blue (Central) Souq in Sharjah. Has anyone been recently? Easy to find? Any other suggestions? They also want to go to Dreamland but its over 45kms away. Not easy without organised transport. They can't afford the Atlantis theme park.
lionheart is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:19 am
  #2  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
We have a family of four Kenyan Brits staying with us and they are now fed up with the modern shopping malls and stuff. They want to visit a traditional souq. The only one that springs to mind is the Blue (Central) Souq in Sharjah. Has anyone been recently? Easy to find? Any other suggestions? They also want to go to Dreamland but its over 45kms away. Not easy without organised transport. They can't afford the Atlantis theme park.
tell them to go to the waterpark near the Grand Hyatt, I was there last week, we were the only people there!! amazing. Take them to Deira Souk via an abra. Have you got an Entertainer book?
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:28 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Cham128's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: London and Dubai
Posts: 1,072
Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

spice souq is nice for the smell, the fish souq is the opposite
Cham128 is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:29 am
  #4  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,028
lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
tell them to go to the waterpark near the Grand Hyatt, I was there last week, we were the only people there!! amazing. Take them to Deira Souk via an abra. Have you got an Entertainer book?
Do you mean Wonderworld? Is there a separate entrance for the water park? Presumably its only open in the evenings as it always looks dead in the daytime. Thanks for the helpful advice.
lionheart is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:34 am
  #5  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,704
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Malls are boring after a while, especially if you are short of cash. Much more interesting is to wander the streets of Bur Dubai, Karama, Satwa and Deira. Loads of cheap restaurants there too and observant eyes will see a lot of interest on the streets. Agree with abra trip (or two) - a bargain for a dirham.


If they like art, the galleries are all free to visit. See Time Out for what exhibitions are on currently.

-
Meow is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:41 am
  #6  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Do you mean Wonderworld? Is there a separate entrance for the water park? Presumably its only open in the evenings as it always looks dead in the daytime. Thanks for the helpful advice.
no you pay at the main entrance, 65dhs during the week, there is a separate entrance to splashland when you get inside. It is open 10 am til 10 pm. There is a small very reasonably priced restaurant in there too. We had a great day out. There are vouchers in the Entertainer for this as well.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:14 am
  #7  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,028
lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
no you pay at the main entrance, 65dhs during the week, there is a separate entrance to splashland when you get inside. It is open 10 am til 10 pm. There is a small very reasonably priced restaurant in there too. We had a great day out. There are vouchers in the Entertainer for this as well.
Just checked out the Middle East Hub website and they say that Wonderworld is open 2-8pm. What time did you go?
lionheart is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:23 pm
  #8  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Just checked out the Middle East Hub website and they say that Wonderworld is open 2-8pm. What time did you go?
splashland - the water park bit opens at 10 am, we went at 10 am.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:30 am
  #9  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,028
lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
splashland - the water park bit opens at 10 am, we went at 10 am.
Am dragging them all to the Spring Festival (whatever that is) at Global Village this afters. Maybe they will do Splashland tomorrow. They tried Wild Wadi y/day where Uncle Jonno got bruised when some Lebos deliberately crashed into his tyre thing and he got crushed against the wall. They should stick with lions in the Masa Mara, much safer.
lionheart is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:59 pm
  #10  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Souqs Anyone?

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Am dragging them all to the Spring Festival (whatever that is) at Global Village this afters. Maybe they will do Splashland tomorrow. They tried Wild Wadi y/day where Uncle Jonno got bruised when some Lebos deliberately crashed into his tyre thing and he got crushed against the wall. They should stick with lions in the Masa Mara, much safer.
are you using the Entertainer to get discounts? makes a big difference.
Blue Cat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.