British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Is it a good salary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/good-salary-775095/)

Funkskyla Oct 19th 2012 9:15 am

Is it a good salary?

Hi everyone!

I need your advice!

My husband is working in Qatar, Im still in london.
I will be joining him in January.
His company offered me a job for $5,000 but it is not in my field and Im not sure about the salary...

Do you think I should turn down this offer and look for a job? Do you think I can get more in as a Retail marketing analyst/merchandising?

Thanks for your help!!!

Kix Oct 19th 2012 9:33 am

Re: Is it a good salary?

17,000 a month as a second salary, depending on what your husband earns I would suggest yes. PROVIDING the contract includes flights home and very importantly MEDICAL!

Funkskyla Oct 19th 2012 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10338854)
17,000 a month as a second salary, depending on what your husband earns I would suggest yes. PROVIDING the contract includes flights home and very importantly MEDICAL!

Thanks Kix!

But does that mean that I have no chance to get a higher salary job in Doha?

If I find a job from Doha...will I be able to get an expat package with a higher salary?

Kix Oct 19th 2012 10:14 am

There are jobs in Doha for 20x that salary, could you get one? Who knows. Are you in Doha yet? If not I would suggest you go there and find out about the openings and the salaries paid there.

Of course you could always ask for $7,500, life is all about negotiation!

OriginalSunshine Oct 19th 2012 4:16 pm

This is a very common spouse salary within the same company if you are not an experience qualified engineering type professional - only then would you be able to negotiate a full on "expat" level salary as a spouse. Spouses generally get screwed unless they have the skills that could get them a job independently as an expat. E.g. me & MrOS are both on expat salaries, but with one set of allowances, because we could work for a multitude of companies in an expat position - either of us could command the whole package on our own. If you think you can, then you should go look at a different company first before accepting the offer.

OriginalSunshine Oct 19th 2012 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10338884)
There are jobs in Doha for 20x that salary, could you get one? Who knows. Are you in Doha yet? If not I would suggest you go there and find out about the openings and the salaries paid there.

Of course you could always ask for $7,500, life is all about negotiation!

who on earth gets paid 100,000 US$/month?! seriously?:blink::blink:

Kix Oct 19th 2012 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10339395)

Of course, if you're working for some of the investment authorities, it's chicken feed.

Fizzy_Bear Oct 20th 2012 7:48 am

Lawyers probably.

mull Oct 20th 2012 1:36 pm

Does anyone have an idea what a nurse educator might earn - I am waiting for my offer letter and have no idea what to expect?

Kix Oct 20th 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mull (Post 10340695)
Does anyone have an idea what a nurse educator might earn - I am waiting for my offer letter and have no idea what to expect?

You teach nurses yes?

This opens up a whole load of possibilities.

Western teachers are on 10-15k/month.

mull Oct 20th 2012 1:45 pm

Yes I am waiting for an offer letter from HMC - so is that good can I survive on it!!!

Kix Oct 20th 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mull (Post 10340709)
Yes I am waiting for an offer letter from HMC - so is that good can I survive on it!!!

If it includes accom then yes, if not, tricky.

Loads of threads on salaries etc. do a search.

Good luck

mull Oct 20th 2012 1:50 pm

Thank you and yes it does include accom.

Kix Oct 20th 2012 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by mull (Post 10340717)
Thank you and yes it does include accom.

As in, you get accom provided and still get 10-15k?

How about transport? Do you get a separate allowance for that, how will you get to work?

Do they provide full Health Insurance (hospitals aren't free), annual flights home?

Sorry was a bit vague before.

Brains1983 Oct 20th 2012 2:57 pm

The guy that employed me 12 years ago, who has now left, was on a package at about that. Crazy bucks, but he really could sell ice to the Eskimos.