Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this a good offer for Abu Dhabi?

Is this a good offer for Abu Dhabi?

Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:32 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a good offer for Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by Kakawax
A gratuity for each year you are here, based on your basic salary though not the total package. In terms of saving its a top up no more. I certainly wouldn't figure on gratuities meeting the requirements for a pension plan. And besides.. gratuity is there as an incentive or bonus not to replace an essential cost.
Thats where experience comes in, my 1st contract i got bummed. My next contract my basic was my full salary.

And name a pension that provides anything, by the time I am ready to claim my pension 35 years time, it'll be worthless.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

with a Mrs and 2 kids, plus no housing allowance, what they are offering is way too low.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:05 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
with a Mrs and 2 kids, plus no housing allowance, what they are offering is way too low.
You need to rephrase that.

What they are offering could be market value, but his personal situation makes the offer not financially viable.

CBA to re read the thread but does your wife work, can she work, will she work?

33,000 atm is 83,000quid, thats alot of money. If he took a cheaper villa lets say around 50-60k, it doable. Education is expensive here thats a fact.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle

What they are offering could be market value, but his personal situation makes the offer not financially viable.

33,000 atm is 83,000quid, thats alot of money. If he took acheaper villa lets say around 50-60k, it doable. Education is expensive here thats a fact.
err I ain't seen any villas for 50-60k are you kidding me? You can barely get a studio for that amount.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The offer is probably realistic for an Indian IT manager. The school allowances will cover fees at Indian schools. The family will have a two bedroom apartment somewhere on the Island in an older building. They'll survive nicely enough and be happy with it and he'll even get a Prado
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

redpandaone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The offer is probably realistic for an Indian IT manager. The school allowances will cover fees at Indian schools. The family will have a two bedroom apartment somewhere on the Island in an older building. They'll survive nicely enough and be happy with it and he'll even get a Prado
It feels exactly like that, DXBtoDOH! Iggle is right to say it's Abu Dhabi market value they may be offering.

It seems like the software industry there isn't as well developed and paid as here in the West. I've been reading that they prefer to hire Indian and Chinese devs as they're more economical.

Last edited by redpandaone; Oct 3rd 2016 at 4:10 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Yes she can work and would gladly work there if she finds something. She's an at home mom at the moment but ready to return to the workforce. It sounds like child minders are quite cheap there.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The school allowances will cover fees at Indian schools.
I just looked at a few Indian School websites + Facebook pages. They look really nice and the fees do fit the allowance perfectly. BUT, do any non-Indian children attend them?

I couldn't see a single one.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mission
err I ain't seen any villas for 50-60k are you kidding me? You can barely get a studio for that amount.
In Khalifa A you could get 2 bedrooms for around that, or Al Reef for 90k

https://abudhabi.dubizzle.com/proper...G9wZXI9&pos=18

Anyway, 33k for a family will be tight, you won't be living the high life here.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Villas, mate, villas. You ain't getting a 2-bed villa for 50-60K in AD or Dubai. That was the point.

The apartments in Khalifa City are divided villas and a bit dodgy.

In Khalifa A you could get 2 bedrooms for around that, or Al Reef for 90k

https://abudhabi.dubizzle.com/proper...G9wZXI9&pos=18

Anyway, 33k for a family will be tight, you won't be living the high life here.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 11:18 am
Just Joined

sullee is an unknown quantity at this point

redpandaone - Could you advise on where the job offer was from. which website is the best for applying for IT jobs.

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The base salary is good, but if housing is going to be deducted from it, that will definitely eat into it. Education allowances are starting to be phased out (at least they were in my sector) and the cost of schooling is quite high. It is law that medical insurance be provided. Definitely be wary of any kind of loan in the UAE, that you can't get out of quick if your employment situation turns sour.