Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this a good offer in Abu Dhabi

Is this a good offer in Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

nikhil2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a good offer in Abu Dhabi

I have been offered the following package for a FMCG company based in Abu Dhabi.

Total package is for 28000AED per month. ( This includes housing, utilities & car allowance)

Education is covered 80% by the company. ( I have three kids but only 2 will be going to school)

Medical and Dental is 100%

Vacation is 25 days

Moving allowance is 18000AED (one time)

tickets back to Canada for the entire family once a year

End of employment benefits - 21 days per year

I am married and have three kids (7, 6 and 1) and needed some advise if this was a good package to consider for Abu Dhabi. I have over 10 years of experience in Supply Chain and it is a Manager position I have been offered.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a good offer in Abu Dhabi

I wouldn't even get out of bed for that kind of offer
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
I wouldn't even get out of bed for that kind of offer
Wow...the company made it sound like it was a great offer. What would be a good offer according to you and how much do you think will be monthly expenses for someone like me with 3 kids in Abu Dhabi. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Put it this way...140,000 will get you a smallish 4 bedroom villa/townhouse. That's half your salary gone instantly. Then utilities on top.

Education for your older kids 40,000 PA plus uniforms and all the trappings. So you need to find a minimum of 14,000.

1 car minimum 2,500 per month....and that's just for the lease charges.

It doesn't add up, does it?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

What would be a good salary that I should be negotiating for this position? I need to call them back tomorrow.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have no idea of the salary level for your job....but 28K with 10 years experience sounds reasonable.

At least the least you should ask for a housing allowance separate from the salary, I'd go for at least 150K.

Medical and Dental is 100% (medical insurance is a legal requirement)

Vacation is 25 days (about normal, make sure it's working days and doesn't include weekends)

Moving allowance is 18000AED (one time) (that won't even get you a 20ft container from Canada)

tickets back to Canada for the entire family once a year (normal)

End of employment benefits - 21 days per year (End of service gratuity is a legal requirement)
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I will try to negotiate a better package. How much room is there for negotiations when it comes to the overall package in UAE. I would be asking for 40000+ package inclusive of housing which is much higher than what they are offering at the moment. The education allowance is 80%....hoping that should be fine if I can get them to give me 40000+AED per month. I will ask for a higher moving allowance. Anything else???
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:20 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

To give you an idea, When I lived there I had an apartment, Car meds etc all paid for and an 18000 AED per month salary with bonus. As a single guy I saved nothing...
There is a post on this forum titles cost of living in UAE. It is out of date now but gives you a good understanding of costs.

Last edited by britexpat76; Mar 1st 2012 at 9:54 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:49 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to steal your thread. Would a salary of $150,000 US per annum be a good salary? What sort of life style could a couple expect with that salary.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:17 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Sorry to steal your thread. Would a salary of $150,000 US per annum be a good salary? What sort of life style could a couple expect with that salary.
per week it would just be about enough to live above the breadline, new car only every second year. As a recruiter you ought to know this stuff
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:21 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
per week it would just be about enough to live above the breadline, new car only every second year. As a recruiter you ought to know this stuff

or after 1600 posts
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76
or after 1600 posts
Not sure I get your point.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud of

its not bad but its not that great, and Abu Dhabi the rental and availability of appointment's is an issue, I wish all the best
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

To the original poster I work in SC and 28k all in is not good. The only good bit is the dental 100% included so you can get your teeth fixed. 150% of that would be OK and doulble would be a good package.

The killer wil be housing in AD, also schooling will add up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.