Reload this Page >

Is this a good offer?

Is this a good offer?

Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

5herry is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is this a good offer?

All

It's mine a life long dream (I'm only 31!) to live & work in Dubai and I have been offered a transfer by my employer - Yah

After looking at Better Homes website it seems as though the Housing Allowance offered isn't enough and I want to negotiate for more BUT I don't want to P*ss of my new manager and / or come across as greedy! So can I get some advice if this is a good package please?

The role is Medium level Manager role and they're offering -
Salary - AED 20800 a month
Allowance - AED 4200 a month
Flights - GBP 2000 a year
Relocation - GBP 4000 one off payment
30 days holiday and Medical & Life insurance

I'll be working in Dubai Internet City so want a 2 bed apartment in Marina or the Greens - unless you guys can recommend somewhere else.....

I NEED 2 bedrooms as I've been told by numerous people they're coming out to visit lol but these are being advertised around the AED 80k mark.

I've read the previous threads and you guys seem very happy to help so hoping I can get some responses & advice.....

Thanks

Sherry
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

GrayCentral is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is this a good offer?

At that level I think you will struggle to make things work out in Dubai, as you say Dhs80k per year for accommodation is about right, then you need to budget for Dhs1,200 per month for water and electricity. If the dream is to live in a foreign land and save money you will not do it on that package as the cost of living in Dubai is quite high.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrayCentral
At that level I think you will struggle to make things work out in Dubai, as you say Dhs80k per year for accommodation is about right, then you need to budget for Dhs1,200 per month for water and electricity. If the dream is to live in a foreign land and save money you will not do it on that package as the cost of living in Dubai is quite high.
wrong, you can get a two bed in TECOM area for less than 80k, think they are currently about 60 if not less but search www.dubizzle.com for more information. DEWA for a 2 bed should be no more than 400 dhs a month.We have got a huge 3 bed duplex and our DEWA is approx 700 and we are a family of three. You can manage on 20k salary no problem as a single person.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be daft. I know plenty of singles who make that income and they have a good life in Dubai and save plenty of dosh for rainy days.

Her package works out to 25K a month, which is fine as long she isn't wildly crazy about brunches and shopping.

As regards rent: the housing allowance of 4200 a month is enough to cover the rent of a comfortable 1-bed in a low-rise Greens building, which now go for around 50K a year or less if you bargain hard.

Obviously TECOM has better bargains. Rents start at 35K a year but the better buildings are worth the investment and they'll be around 40-45K. TECOM buildings can be a hit or miss, the better ones are clustered around the Carrefour express. Avoid the ones fronting onto Sheikh Zayed as they seem to house a large population of "bachelors" and the buildings aren't being maintained well.

Whatever you do, do not rely on Better Homes as an indicator for market prices. When I was looking for a flat last year I noticed Better Homes advertised rents were about 15-20% higher than the actual market rates as evidenced on Dubizzle. The best place to look for rent listings is Dubizzle and I urge you to become familiar with the website.

Personally, I'd prefer to spend extra money for a nicer 1-bed apartment in a good Emaar building than a 2-bedroom elsewhere. Your friends can always sleep on the sofa. But if you still want a two-bedroom, TECOM starts at around 60K, Greens around 65K. Another place to consider is Jumeirah Lakes Towers. I wouldn't want to live there but it's popular for people looking for cheaper apartments in decent buildings and two-bedrooms can be had for 60-65K. But the market is still declining and if you bargain hard you will find a good deal somewhere. Whatever the asking price is offer 10% less and see if they bite.

Keep in mind that on top of the rent you need to pay the monthly utilities. Factor about 200 AED a month for the utilities, plus another 180 AED for internet access and 300 AED for the housing fee (tax) if your rent is 70K. Then there's cleaning services on top of this if you want one.

Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It can be done quite easily on that package but it all depends on keeping an eye on the money and not been swayed by the lifestyle.

You must budget and live within that budget and you'll be ok if not you'll end up as another Dubai casualty.

Not sure about the...'Life long dream to live and work in Dubai'....

I can think of a thousand better places to pin a life long dream on..!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5herry
All

It's mine a life long dream (I'm only 31!) to live & work in Dubai and I have been offered a transfer by my employer - Yah

After looking at Better Homes website it seems as though the Housing Allowance offered isn't enough and I want to negotiate for more BUT I don't want to P*ss of my new manager and / or come across as greedy! So can I get some advice if this is a good package please?

The role is Medium level Manager role and they're offering -
Salary - AED 20800 a month
Allowance - AED 4200 a month
Flights - GBP 2000 a year
Relocation - GBP 4000 one off payment
30 days holiday and Medical & Life insurance

I'll be working in Dubai Internet City so want a 2 bed apartment in Marina or the Greens - unless you guys can recommend somewhere else.....

I NEED 2 bedrooms as I've been told by numerous people they're coming out to visit lol but these are being advertised around the AED 80k mark.

I've read the previous threads and you guys seem very happy to help so hoping I can get some responses & advice.....

Thanks

Sherry
That offer is enough to live on in Dubai and save a bit of cash for a rainy day (just don't save any cash through "financial advisors" who will undoubtedly cold call you).

As long as you don't go mad getting credit cards, driving a car you don't need or boozing three nights a week (ie; don't be a typical expat!) you'll be fine. Some people live of far less and have comfortable lives and save money...don't get sucked into the chav culture of Dubai and you'll be fine

N.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
That offer is enough to live on in Dubai and save a bit of cash for a rainy day (just don't save any cash through "financial advisors" who will undoubtedly cold call you).

As long as you don't go mad getting credit cards, driving a car you don't need or boozing three nights a week (ie; don't be a typical expat!) you'll be fine. Some people live of far less and have comfortable lives and save money...don't get sucked into the chav culture of Dubai and you'll be fine

N.
AED 25,000 is a comfortable salary especially if you can budget properly.
Come, enjoy all this place has to offer just don't accumulate debt.
I suggest taking taxis/metro the first year, and start off in a 1BR... maybe upgrade next year when they get cheaper!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:29 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Don't be daft. I know plenty of singles who make that income and they have a good life in Dubai and save plenty of dosh for rainy days.

Her package works out to 25K a month, which is fine as long she isn't wildly crazy about brunches and shopping.

As regards rent: the housing allowance of 4200 a month is enough to cover the rent of a comfortable 1-bed in a low-rise Greens building, which now go for around 50K a year or less if you bargain hard.

Obviously TECOM has better bargains. Rents start at 35K a year but the better buildings are worth the investment and they'll be around 40-45K. TECOM buildings can be a hit or miss, the better ones are clustered around the Carrefour express. Avoid the ones fronting onto Sheikh Zayed as they seem to house a large population of "bachelors" and the buildings aren't being maintained well.

Whatever you do, do not rely on Better Homes as an indicator for market prices. When I was looking for a flat last year I noticed Better Homes advertised rents were about 15-20% higher than the actual market rates as evidenced on Dubizzle. The best place to look for rent listings is Dubizzle and I urge you to become familiar with the website.

Personally, I'd prefer to spend extra money for a nicer 1-bed apartment in a good Emaar building than a 2-bedroom elsewhere. Your friends can always sleep on the sofa. But if you still want a two-bedroom, TECOM starts at around 60K, Greens around 65K. Another place to consider is Jumeirah Lakes Towers. I wouldn't want to live there but it's popular for people looking for cheaper apartments in decent buildings and two-bedrooms can be had for 60-65K. But the market is still declining and if you bargain hard you will find a good deal somewhere. Whatever the asking price is offer 10% less and see if they bite.

Keep in mind that on top of the rent you need to pay the monthly utilities. Factor about 200 AED a month for the utilities, plus another 180 AED for internet access and 300 AED for the housing fee (tax) if your rent is 70K. Then there's cleaning services on top of this if you want one.
Aye that's a decent amount to get by on and still have fun.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:11 am
Banned

Talking Stick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Not sure about the...'Life long dream to live and work in Dubai'....

I can think of a thousand better places to pin a life long dream on..!
It does sound ridiculous doesn't it?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:12 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I don't know what you're doing to get a 1200AED monthly DEWA bill for a 2 bed apartment, but ours only comes to 450/month, including the housing tax and a family of 4!

If you're working in DIC, look to apartments around the Metro stops - JLT, Marina, Tecom (is that the "Nakheel" stop?)... all doable.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect excuse to get a one-bedroom. Don't make Dubai too comfortable for people seeking a free holiday. Having visitors here is very expensive as you'll end up paying more than your share and feel obliged to go out nightly.

Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

5herry is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all - I appreciate your advice & comments...even the one's that think I'm an oddball to have such a dream

It definately seems like I can make ends meet (with some £$£ left over if I budget) even though I do love shoppping and brunches lol

Next step is to try & negotiate more of an housing alllowance and then move over...will you keep you posted and may even come back with some more questions.

Thanks again

Sherry
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:00 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all ...will you keep you posted and may even come back with some more questions. Sherry
We cannot wait.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Perfect excuse to get a one-bedroom. Don't make Dubai too comfortable for people seeking a free holiday. Having visitors here is very expensive as you'll end up paying more than your share and feel obliged to go out nightly.

Lionheart, have you hacked Ethos83's login?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
perfect. good advice.

good luck Sherry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.