Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Good for a laugh...

Good for a laugh...

Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:07 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good for a laugh...

Some interesting news, I came across whilst reading thru the GN website:

Saudi prince buys famous Savoy hotel
(AFP)

20 January 2005

LONDON - A group of financiers including Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has bought the Savoy hotel, London’s luxurious landmark hotel overlooking the Thames, its new managers said yesterday.

Kingdom Hotels International, a company associated with the Saudi Prince, are the new joint owners alongside Bank of Scotland Corporate, part the HBOS banking group, new managers Fairmont Hotels and Resorts announced.

Included in the deal was the adjoining restaurant, Simpson’s-in-the-Strand.

The terms of the sale, including the price, were not revealed.

It was also announced yesterday that the hotel and restaurant would be managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, giving the Canadian hotel group their second destination in Europe, following their December 2004 acquisition of the Monte Carlo Grand.

“This marks the beginning of a new era for Fairmont and The Savoy,� said John Johnston, Fairmont’s executive vice president development for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Fairmont said it intended to invest $48 million (36.5 million euros) in the restoration of the hotel, in particular in the hotel suites which have a view of the River Thames.

A group of investors led by Quinlan Private acquired the hotel and restaurant when it bought the Savoy Group in May 2004 for 750 million pounds.

The three other hotels in the Savoy Group — The Berkeley, Claridge’s and The Connaught — along with the Savoy Theatre were to continue under the current ownership of former owner Quinlan Private.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Good for a laugh...

Originally Posted by Face81
Some interesting news, I came across whilst reading thru the GN website:

Saudi prince buys famous Savoy hotel
(AFP)

20 January 2005

LONDON - A group of financiers including Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has bought the Savoy hotel, London’s luxurious landmark hotel overlooking the Thames, its new managers said yesterday.

Kingdom Hotels International, a company associated with the Saudi Prince, are the new joint owners alongside Bank of Scotland Corporate, part the HBOS banking group, new managers Fairmont Hotels and Resorts announced.

Included in the deal was the adjoining restaurant, Simpson’s-in-the-Strand.

The terms of the sale, including the price, were not revealed.

It was also announced yesterday that the hotel and restaurant would be managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, giving the Canadian hotel group their second destination in Europe, following their December 2004 acquisition of the Monte Carlo Grand.

“This marks the beginning of a new era for Fairmont and The Savoy,� said John Johnston, Fairmont’s executive vice president development for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Fairmont said it intended to invest $48 million (36.5 million euros) in the restoration of the hotel, in particular in the hotel suites which have a view of the River Thames.

A group of investors led by Quinlan Private acquired the hotel and restaurant when it bought the Savoy Group in May 2004 for 750 million pounds.

The three other hotels in the Savoy Group — The Berkeley, Claridge’s and The Connaught — along with the Savoy Theatre were to continue under the current ownership of former owner Quinlan Private.

bin Talal has loads of property in london....no real surprise, just another notch on his bedpost
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:27 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MCA27
bin Talal has loads of property in london....no real surprise, just another notch on his bedpost
thats one way of looking at it. lol
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:58 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Fairmont....it's the best
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:28 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Jellybean
I love the Fairmont....it's the best
was that the point of this thread? lol

prefer Emirated Towers myself...... like the sheer scale and grandeur of the place.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

was that the point of this thread? lol

prefer Emirated Towers myself...... like the sheer scale and grandeur of the place.
i must say, regarding the fairmont, for a hotel that doesn't look like anything outstanding from the outside, it certainly has that "something" once you are inside...not sure what though
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:37 pm
The Oracle

i must say, regarding the fairmont, for a hotel that doesn't look like anything outstanding from the outside, it certainly has that "something" once you are inside...not sure what though
wireless internet?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

wireless internet?

good memory!!!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:45 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap suites for government companies And big restaurant discounts too. 40% if you order before eerrr 7 or 8pm.... chance of bumping into George Clooney, Elton John or me LOL
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:56 pm
The Oracle

Cheap suites for government companies And big restaurant discounts too. 40% if you order before eerrr 7 or 8pm.... chance of bumping into George Clooney, Elton John or me LOL
dunno bout those two, but wud like to c u at one of the get2gethers at some stage.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:57 pm
The Oracle

good memory!!!
lol.. i live in Dubai.... nothing to do with memory. haha
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:59 pm
Banned

dunno bout those two, but wud like to c u at one of the get2gethers at some stage.

You will FACE, I very much look forward to meeting you too sometime, I will try for your next home visit. May have plucked up enough courage by then LOL
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:15 pm
The Oracle

You will FACE, I very much look forward to meeting you too sometime, I will try for your next home visit. May have plucked up enough courage by then LOL
its about time 2...... i dont bite, u know? lol :scared:

300 quid for a return ticket on air france......... might come home on a surprise short trip. lets c wot happens....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:41 pm
Banned

its about time 2...... i dont bite, u know? lol :scared:

300 quid for a return ticket on air france......... might come home on a surprise short trip. lets c wot happens....

:scared: Give me plenty of notice....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:52 pm
The Oracle

:scared: Give me plenty of notice....
hahaha... hopefully u know me better than that. lol

Etihad does an amzing 237 pound round trp, but its sadly to AD.... not much of a surprise if someone has to come and pick me up and drop me off to AD Int'l... that'll just b crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.