Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this a good deal on a new car?

Is this a good deal on a new car?

Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:22 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a good deal on a new car?

I'm after a brand-new fully-loaded Jeep Cherokee, and I went to see Trading Enterprises today. This is the deal they offered me :

AED 107,000 for the car (reduced from 108,000) if I take their in-house financing from some bank I forget the name of at an interest rate of 4.1%
3 years/60,000kms of free maintenance
AED 525 for tinting
AED 750 for rustproofing (does it even need it?)
AED 5055 for insurance
AED 440 for registration

Of course, this amazing deal is only available until the 20th!

Does that sound like a good deal to those in the know, or is it only average? Is there even much room for negotiating on the price of a new car out here?

And would it be "safe" taking financing and insurance from the XYZ Islamic Whatever rather than HSBC (for the loan) and, say, Norwich Union (for the insurance)? I've been warned against getting car insurance through anything other than one of the internationally-known companies.

I have to say, my gut feeling is that I should arrange the finance through the HSBC (where I have my UAE bank account) and the insurance through the NU, but is that me just being too staid and British?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is this a good deal on a new car?

Originally Posted by GarethR
I'm after a brand-new fully-loaded Jeep Cherokee, and I went to see Trading Enterprises today. This is the deal they offered me :

AED 107,000 for the car (reduced from 108,000) if I take their in-house financing from some bank I forget the name of at an interest rate of 4.1%
AED 525 for tinting
AED 5055 for insurance
AED 440 for registration

Does that sound like a good deal to those in the know, or is it only average? Is there even much room for negotiating on the price of a new car out here?

And would it be "safe" taking financing and insurance from the XYZ Islamic Whatever rather than HSBC (for the loan) and, say, Norwich Union (for the insurance)? I've been warned against getting car insurance through anything other than one of the internationally-known companies.

I have to say, my gut feeling is that I should arrange the finance through the HSBC (where I have my UAE bank account) and the insurance through the NU, but is that me just being too staid and British?
Ah, but what colour is it?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Jeep's are shit though....kack off road and unbalanced, to get decent traction you need to sandbag the rear...even on the 4x4 version as there pretty light in the back...and the 4x4 ain't standard...
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:12 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Jeep's are shit though....
Each to his own, Bob... and I'm not buying it to do any offroading anyway.

And I might think *your* car is shit!

So, can anyone in the know tell me if I've been offered a good deal or not?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:25 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

AED 525 for tinting
AED 5055 for insurance
AED 440 for registration

Don't u think the insurance a bit too exspensive, my hubby bought santa fe brand new for 65.000 QR, and he paid the insurance for 1.600 QR first year. Let's say your car is double the price of my hubby car, I still think the insurance shouldn't be more than 4.000 QR.

But then again it is only my opinion
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:32 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by novita77
Don't u think the insurance a bit too exspensive
I thought it was a pretty standard 5% of the value of the car here in the UAE... in which case 5000-something is about right.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:39 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a pretty standard 5% of the value of the car here in the UAE... in which case 5000-something is about right.
OK R u sure u want to buy cherokee? Have u test drive them before? For me the suspension is crap Then again everybody different
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:54 am
Banned

Robynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant future

Hi GarethR,

Insurance is not standard of 5%. I have both mine and hubby's cars insured with NU and we only pay 2.5%. Negotiate!! Looking at the package... I do not personally think it is a good deal... Try and negotiate more discount on the purchase price 1000 is not enough. Also I would suggest rather go with HSBC, When we bought both our cars we realised that "other" banks sugar coat and at the end of the day do not deliver. We nearly went with the RAK bank deal of pay 50% for 2 years and then either give the car back or refinance... big rip off you ended up paying thousands more for the car.

All in all I suggest:-
More discount
Get them to throw in extras (I got them to do my tinting for free)
Go with HSBC and negotiatie your insurance premium!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:27 am
Soupy twist

Thanks Robynlyn!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:29 am
Banned

Robynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant futureRobynlyn has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Is this a good deal on a new car?

Thanks Robynlyn!
Anytime, keep us updated and good luck!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:12 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Tinting is too expensive, its better to do it out side unless they are going for V-cool

Rust proofing is importing, it get reallyhumid in summer

NU is a very good insurance company, I would pay extra to get better benifits and better service

Good luck
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:23 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nabs
Tinting is too expensive, its better to do it out side unless they are going for V-cool

Rust proofing is importing, it get reallyhumid in summer

NU is a very good insurance company, I would pay extra to get better benifits and better service

Good luck
Would have to agree, i got fleeced by my insurance company.
Am currently paying 16,000dhs for insurance.

will definately use NU next time !
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

It's not NU anymore, AXA recently took over all their business, but promise to provide the same level of service. For now the phone numbers and office locations remain the same. I've been with NU for a couple of years now and found them quite cheap and the service is very good. As the chances of being involved in an accident here are quite high I think it is worth using an insurance company you have heard of! Remember, the dealer will be getting comission from the insurance company.

Also, read the small print on the loan carefully and work out what the total amount payable is. Some banks have an interesting way or calculating interest rates.

Finally, the rustproofing is worth having. After all, we are next to the sea!

I do wonder what the point of buying a Cherokee is if you aren't going to go off road in it? As Novita says, each to thier own.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:54 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Finally, the rustproofing is worth having. After all, we are next to the sea!
I've done some research, and *all* of the reputable sources of advice say that paying a dealer for rustproofing is a total waste of money. They all make the point that modern manufacturing techniques and materials mean that cars leave the factory with a high resistance to rust, and that dealer rustproofing can actually *damage* a car in the long term if it's not done properly (and hardly anyone does it properly).

Plus, of course, if you pay for it, how can you be sure if it's actually been applied? Just take the dealer's word?

It's just another way for dealers to try and take your money without offering anything of any genuine benefit. Y'know, like the "dealer prep fee", where you pay a few hundred quid for the lowliest member of staff to peel the protective plastic off the seats and check the fluids and tyre pressures...

I do wonder what the point of buying a Cherokee is if you aren't going to go off road in it?
I like the look of the thing!

C'mon, look at the all the 4x4s tooling around Dubai - you can bet that *most* of them never go further offroad than the odd sandy verge!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:23 pm
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=GarethR]

Plus, of course, if you pay for it, how can you be sure if it's actually been applied? Just take the dealer's word?

QUOTE]

have a look at the car before and after....the rust proof is so obvious once applied

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.