Golfers in Dubai

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Nibsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Golfers in Dubai

Hello all

I have now confirmed my arrival date in Sunny Dubai, 7th March.

Keen to meet new people and do a bit of mingling. So if there are any golfers looking for a round towards the back end of March once i've settled, then please get in touch. I'm an 18 handicap, so not to bad!

Hopefully chat to you soon.

Alex
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:10 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golfers in Dubai

I've pm'd you. Mr Kitty says he's also an 18 handicap [no comment] and keeps on complaining that he doesn't play enough golf.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I've pm'd you. Mr Kitty says he's also an 18 handicap [no comment] and keeps on complaining that he doesn't play enough golf.
Hello Kitty!

That sounds quite weird!

But anyway, thank you very much for your reply. I will check my message now.

Alex
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:41 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibsy
Hello Kitty!

That sounds quite weird!

But anyway, thank you very much for your reply. I will check my message now.

Alex
well, his complaint is actually that I don't let him play enough golf... a subtle difference, I admit! lol
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
well, his complaint is actually that I don't let him play enough golf... a subtle difference, I admit! lol
hahaha, a subtle difference indeed.

While you have replied and have been very kind, perhaps i can be a little cheeky and ask a few other questions?

1. I will be living in the Marina for the first 3 months in an apartment work are providing, i have done research and this appears to be a nice area. Would you agree with that? And are there a re lot of bars and places to meet people?

2. I have had mixed responses when looking at a purchase of a car. Some saying it's vital and others say the metro is great. Work wise i'm in internet city, with the offices based next to the American University. So thought i could get the metro to work. Any tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:37 pm
ex-expat

pm me the name of your building - we're in the Marina too and I can tell you a bit more about how close you are to things once I know where you actually are.

We've been in the Marina since we got here, 2 and a bit years ago and really like it. Yes, a lovely villa is appealing too, but we've found ourselves a really nice place and everything's pretty much on our doorstep. Not saying that you'll never need to leave the marina again, but it's got pretty much everything to hand.

Mr Kitty drives to work (it takes about 3 minutes to get onto SZR) and could easily use the metro if he could chuck himself out of bed earlier. I use the bus or the metro every day and they are both clean and punctual. Taxis are plentiful too, so there's no real urgency to get yourself a car. We hired one initially and then bought second-hand.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:37 am
Just Joined

OmanMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Golfing is great there. Have fun!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OmanMan
Golfing is great there. Have fun!
Thanks OmanMan,

Can't wait to get out to Dubai and start enjoying my new life in the sun!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

my husband plays golf as well, give me a shout when you get here and I will see what he can sort out
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
my husband plays golf as well, give me a shout when you get here and I will see what he can sort out
Thanks Blue Cat

Much appreciated. Very excited about the move and looking forward to the whole thing.

Will be sure to drop you an email once i'm settled.

Thanks

Alex
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Blue Cat

Much appreciated. Very excited about the move and looking forward to the whole thing.

Will be sure to drop you an email once i'm settled.

Thanks

Alex
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:56 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all

I have now confirmed my arrival date in Sunny Dubai, 7th March.

Keen to meet new people and do a bit of mingling. So if there are any golfers looking for a round towards the back end of March once i've settled, then please get in touch. I'm an 18 handicap, so not to bad!

Hopefully chat to you soon.

Alex
Ah, its good to be back!!!!

Right, myself and 5 other mates recently joined Montgomerie (just up the road from the Marina) and book 2 4-balls every Fri morning. 8 spaces, 6 members, there is always 2 spare balls available.

PM me when you get in and we can get something fixed up...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

Hi Alex,

Just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring on this. I live in the Marina and work in Dubai Media City, a little bit close to the Marina that Knowledge Village/Internet City. I can walk to work from where I am in about 15 mins, but it does depend on your location in the Marina. The metro is good, but again it depends on how far from the stop your flat and office are. Come June through to October, you really won't want to be walking more than a few metres as it is ball bustingly hot. So you'll probably want to drive then, or get taxis... taxis to work will be realtively cheap, say 10 to 20 dirhams one way.

I reckon you could try the metro to start with and see how you go, but you'll quickly work out if you think you need a car. Then maybe hire one for a month to see how you go with that and on some days get taxis to compare. However I tend to find that once you get a car, you won't want to NOT have it. Thise supermarket runs and getting to the golf course become a lot easier in a car!

In my opinion, if you can afford it, get one. We bought one from AL Tayer Motors next to Times Square on SZR and they were good in my experience. Also the follow up service has been excellent. I personally would avoid buying a car off dubizzle, or from a private individual generally. Although you will get a cheaper price there is more risk of you getting saddled with something that you'll end up spending more on maintenance. We got a 1 yr old Ford Focus with only 20k on the clock for 35k AED. Great little car.

Re: places to eat and drink, bars etc round the Marina... I am a married man so don't know what the good pick up joints are but I believe Barasti would be your best bet if you're single but please correct me somebody if I'm wrong! You can also walk if you're at the right end of the Marina. The Observatory in the marriott is good for views and they have ahappy hour, there's a pub called Underground at the Habtoor which is OK - at least it's nearby! the Dubai Marina Yacht Club has a restaurant that looks nice and a sports bar but I haven't been there myself. Otherwise jump in a cab and Dubai is your oyster... plenty more options a 15 to 30 min or 25 to 50 dirham taxi ride away.

Last edited by shandolier; Mar 31st 2011 at 3:11 am.