British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Golf GTI Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/golf-gti-insurance-596189/)

rambar Mar 8th 2009 2:07 pm

Golf GTI Insurance

Hi all,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this, as I am going crazy!

I am in the process of buying a Mk5 GTI and cannot get comprehensive insurance on it anywhere! I'm 23 which apparently poses a problem. I expected higher premiums for sure but never expected outright refusal of insurance.

I have called the following companies:

RSA
AXA
Oman Insurance
Al Ahlia
Gargash

They have all refused to give me comprehensive cover except for RSA which wants 5,700 AED. I'm fine with that price but they also charge an excess of 10% of the damage or 2,000AED, whichever comes first. I can't be having that considering how often people's cars get hit in car parks etc in this country.

I would really appreciate any advice you might be able to provide on who might be able to offer insurance with reasonable t's & c's.

Cheers

busybee2 Mar 8th 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Golf GTI Insurance

yes that happens for most "sports cars" we have a mustang even tho we have been with axa for 12 years they still needed to check with the manager, as it wouldnt give a quote as it had to be manager ok'd. we are old and have no claims etc and a history with them, and still wasnt a straight forward tick, so not sure that you would get anywhere with any of the other. I think if you want this car you are going to have to pay the cost. The price they are quoting you isnt too bad, we had to pay around that for our mustang.

B Bear Mar 8th 2009 2:27 pm

That's quite reasonable considering the car and your age - next question?

rambar Mar 8th 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7356915)
yes that happens for most "sports cars" we have a mustang even tho we have been with axa for 12 years they still needed to check with the manager, as it wouldnt give a quote as it had to be manager ok'd. we are old and have no claims etc and a history with them, and still wasnt a straight forward tick, so not sure that you would get anywhere with any of the other. I think if you want this car you are going to have to pay the cost. The price they are quoting you isnt too bad, we had to pay around that for our mustang.

Thanks for your answer busybee2 :)

The price itself doesn't bother me too much, it's mainly the excess that's a problem for me to be honest. I've been driving for 5 years now and have never had an accident, touch wood, so I don't foresee having to make any claims in the near future.

The main worry I have is having the car scratched/dented while I'm away from it and not being able to claim that on the insurance...

Bison Mar 8th 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks for your answer busybee2

The price itself doesn't bother me too much, it's mainly the excess that's a problem for me to be honest. I've been driving for 5 years now and have never had an accident, touch wood, so I don't foresee having to make any claims in the near future.

The main worry I have is having the car scratched/dented while I'm away from it and not being able to claim that on the insurance...
Best take the RSA one mate, you won't get a better deal anywhere else and they are doing you a favour as a special case. They normally don't insure drivers under 25.

With regards to the car park scratches, don't claim!!! Get small repairs done by yourself and keep your no claims bonus!!

Bison

Chesney Hawkes Mar 8th 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by rambar (Post 7356889)
Hi all,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this, as I am going crazy!

I am in the process of buying a Mk5 GTI and cannot get comprehensive insurance on it anywhere! I'm 23 which apparently poses a problem. I expected higher premiums for sure but never expected outright refusal of insurance.

I have called the following companies:

RSA
AXA
Oman Insurance
Al Ahlia
Gargash

They have all refused to give me comprehensive cover except for RSA which wants 5,700 AED. I'm fine with that price but they also charge an excess of 10% of the damage or 2,000AED, whichever comes first. I can't be having that considering how often people's cars get hit in car parks etc in this country.

I would really appreciate any advice you might be able to provide on who might be able to offer insurance with reasonable t's & c's.

Cheers

I've added some contacts for people at Arab Orient Insurance, not sure if they will give you a better quote or not. The best quote I got was from AXA. Does your quote include for personal accident protection including passengers etc.? I cut around 2,000 out by telling them I didn't need that.

Abdul Hameed - AOIC <[email protected]>; Nishantha Rodrigo <[email protected]>; Naila Harib <[email protected]> Zile Huma > [email protected]

CeeBee Mar 8th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7357144)
Best take the RSA one mate, you won't get a better deal anywhere else and they are doing you a favour as a special case. They normally don't insure drivers under 25.

With regards to the car park scratches, don't claim!!! Get small repairs done by yourself and keep your no claims bonus!!

Bison

I agree.....you needn't claim for small bumps n scratches. There are loadsa places that'll repair without the need for the old green / pink slip. There are even mobile guys that will do minor repairs and paintwork for very reasonable rates.

The hardest thing for you to do is accept that your car will be bumped at some point.....it's inevitable in this place with the amount of lunatics on the road.

I got my 4x4 insured through HSBC no problems at all....i'm under 25. Think i'm paying 5.8% or something. Have you got NCB from the UK?

Bison Mar 8th 2009 8:06 pm

Your excess in the UK would be around £350 on a golf gti at your age in the UK anyways... so Dhs2000 ain't much different if you think about it?

Bison

Blue Cat Mar 9th 2009 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes (Post 7357289)
I've added some contacts for people at Arab Orient Insurance, not sure if they will give you a better quote or not. The best quote I got was from AXA. Does your quote include for personal accident protection including passengers etc.? I cut around 2,000 out by telling them I didn't need that.

Abdul Hameed - AOIC <[email protected]>; Nishantha Rodrigo <[email protected]>; Naila Harib <[email protected]> Zile Huma > [email protected]

you tried claiming from Arab Orient?

lionheart Mar 9th 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7357555)
Your excess in the UK would be around £350 on a golf gti at your age in the UK anyways... so Dhs2000 ain't much different if you think about it?

Bison

Sounds logical but do check that RSA will let you have the repairs done by an authorised dealer. AXA told me to get mine done at some grubby workshop in Al Quoz where I had to wait 10 days for minor repairs to be completed. The only plus was that I only had to pay AED85 a day for one of those replacement AXA bubble cars while mine was off the road. It gave the neighbours and my work colleagues a laugh.

Bison Mar 9th 2009 5:52 am

Sounds logical but do check that RSA will let you have the repairs done by an authorised dealer. AXA told me to get mine done at some grubby workshop in Al Quoz where I had to wait 10 days for minor repairs to be completed. The only plus was that I only had to pay AED85 a day for one of those replacement AXA bubble cars while mine was off the road. It gave the neighbours and my work colleagues a laugh.
With RSA you can choose from 5 'approved' repairers (If you don't select 'agency repairs') they use genuine parts and the works is guaranteed for a year.

busybee2 Mar 9th 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7358588)

i would go with axa or rsa and not arab orient, as bc says you try claiming from them... and on my axa insurance you can pay a little extra 163 for the year and if your car goes off the road, you can have the little red car for 7 days free..... cheaper than paying per day.

axa will give you dealer repairs on cars up to 3 years or so and then after than its not dealer.

Bison Mar 9th 2009 12:05 pm

i would go with axa or rsa and not arab orient, as bc says you try claiming from them... and on my axa insurance you can pay a little extra 163 for the year and if your car goes off the road, you can have the little red car for 7 days free..... cheaper than paying per day.

axa will give you dealer repairs on cars up to 3 years or so and then after than its not dealer.
RSA will do this, but they will give you 14 days. Also they don't take an hour to return you calls :thumbup:

Blue Cat Mar 9th 2009 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7359584)
RSA will do this, but they will give you 14 days. Also they don't take an hour to return you calls :thumbup:

your right there Bison, they take a few days :)

busybee2 Mar 9th 2009 1:26 pm

not in ab dabs