Golf in Dubai

Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:20 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf in Dubai

Originally Posted by Matthew-C
When Sharjah was mentioned I was a little sceptical, but it does look nice there. And the prices seem reasonable too. Well reasonable for this part of the world.
Mathew C

Another way (if you have the time) is just to turn up on the morning, let golf reception know you are there, go to the range and wait for a no-show. I've used that one a couple of time when the boss has been out of town and always got a round, not guaranteed though.

W10 - Played the Els course this weekend. Really enjoyed it but you were right about the green fee .... 695AED .... No concessions at weekends for UGA... Ouch !!!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Els Course membership... Joining Fee 90,000 AED & Annual Fee 22,000 AED... I'll not be joining then!!

I have tried to book times when I have had family & friends coming to Dubai as visitors - I had a central reservations number that tourists can use (I assume for planning golf holidays etc) but I found it useless - you can book more than 3 days in advance, but they only have limited times.

I tried to book either course at Emirates through this number, 40 days in advance, and they could not offer ANY times for the Fri or Saturday - all blocked for members

I tend to play Jebel Ali or Al Hamra as they are much cheaper, but am not playing regularly at all here - due to cost and trouble booking times. I played twice a week in Australia - cheap as chips and easy to get a time booked.

Cheap golf from 1 June and it is normally a bit quieter by then also (as it is apparently too hot, but its ok really - I was playing in August last year and coped... just take a fresh t-shirt for after game drinks!).

You can get some cheaper summer memberships from 1 June to 30 September, but I have not seen prices for these yet (IIRC, Jebel Ali was about 2500 AED last summer which is reasonable for here if you play regularly.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:31 am
W10

Originally Posted by Welivehere

W10 - Played the Els course this weekend. Really enjoyed it but you were right about the green fee .... 695AED .... No concessions at weekends for UGA... Ouch !!!
It's nice to see the little touches like the cart showing you how far you drove.

But the course is really lacking in character I think. It's a decent challenge but a bit soulless (and they need to stop using quite so many domed greens!)

Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Actually... relatively on topic... ish...

I'm about to buy a new driver & 3 wood, but have not seen anywhere selling used clubs, which makes me think they won't do trade-ins with my existing driver. I can't see anywhere that sells used clubs either (souq/bazaar & dubizzle only seem to have small amounts of very old equipment)

Does anyone have ideas where is best to advertise golf equipment for sale?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Matthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Robbies
Actually... relatively on topic... ish...

I'm about to buy a new driver & 3 wood, but have not seen anywhere selling used clubs, which makes me think they won't do trade-ins with my existing driver. I can't see anywhere that sells used clubs either (souq/bazaar & dubizzle only seem to have small amounts of very old equipment)

Does anyone have ideas where is best to advertise golf equipment for sale?
Whack them on ebay I guess.

What 3 wood are you looking at? I would recomend the V steel from taylormade, its a classic.

When you find a 3 wood you like you keep it for life.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

have not played a 3 wood for a number of years now, as my home course never really needed one. Finding here there is more of a call for one, so looking at PING G10 driver & 3 wood, or the Callaway FT-I or FT-5 driver & FT 3 wood

Good plan re ebay - I might stick the current driver (Titleist 905R) on e-bay the week before I head back to the UK and can send it to the buyer when I get home after the auction finishes (assuming the bats make it through Heathrow Terminal 5!)
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Matthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant future

have not played a 3 wood for a number of years now, as my home course never really needed one. Finding here there is more of a call for one, so looking at PING G10 driver & 3 wood, or the Callaway FT-I or FT-5 driver & FT 3 wood

Good plan re ebay - I might stick the current driver (Titleist 905R) on e-bay the week before I head back to the UK and can send it to the buyer when I get home after the auction finishes (assuming the bats make it through Heathrow Terminal 5!)
Why get rid of the titleist, its a good driver.

If money is the issue why not get a ping g5, most of the ping drivers are the same, only small tweaks here and there. Same goes for the G2, but you probably wont find one of those. Ive got the G5, Its not bad but there are much better clubs out there for the same price.

My dad has the taylormade burner, now I didnt think much of that until I hit it. Its great, I feel like im cheating when I use it, Its actualy more difficult to hit it bad than it is to bomb it down the fairway.

Personaly I like the look of the new titleist drivers (not the tiangle one) well they are not realy new now but hey drivers are old 2 months after they are bought nowadays.

Oh no you got me started on golf equipment, I could talk for days on this issue. I studied golf and management in golf at uni, so I do go on a bit.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:51 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ping G5 driver is better than the G10 I think in terms of feel and response - G10 feels a bit dead to me - but problem is finding a G5 that'll suit you as you really need all Pings to be custom fit for the best results.

for the 3 wood - TaylorMade r7 - outstanding, great for hitting off tight lies and just launches the ball up in the air and with the variable weight feature means you can modify the club for conditions on the day or changes that may occur through having tuition resulting in different ball flight.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:53 am
W10

I bought a Nike CPR 3 hybrid...

took me ages to learn to hit the thing, but its miles better than any 3 wood off the floor.

On another note, I fancy upgrading to blades. I've currently got Mizuno MX-25s but like the look of MP60s or MP57s. ANy other recommendations?

Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by W10

On another note, I fancy upgrading to blades. I've currently got Mizuno MX-25s but like the look of MP60s or MP57s. ANy other recommendations?
why dyou want to go for blades? whats your handicap?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:02 pm
W10

Somewhere between 10 and 14.

I find I can get much better contact and a massive distance increase in my low to mid irons (6 iron 185 yards)

I think if you are a good striker of the ball and have a consistent swing then switching to blades will help your scores.

Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by W10
Somewhere between 10 and 14.

I find I can get much better contact.

I think if you are a good striker of the ball and have a consistent swing then switching to blades will help your scores.
I wouldnt recommend switching to blades for anybody over 4 handicap. If you're between 10 and 14 I'm afraid your ball striking is nowhere near good enough to make use of the blades. The point of the blades is the shotmaking you create from stiking point on the blade. For that pinpoint accuracy you need to be a VERY low handicapper.

All blades will do for you at your level is make your bad shots massively worse, the margin for error that you have with cavity back clubs is gone and the chances of you hitting consistently good shots will decrease hugely.

trust me - dont do it, they're not designed for you, stick with cavity back, I know what I'm talking about
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:16 pm
W10

I've been told to trial them by a couple of pros to see how I get on.

My swing is pretty good. I'm just getting back into golf after a few years out.

On the range (I know its different in terms of lie etc) I hit 50 balls with a variety of irons and hit four bad shots. So I may just borrow a set to take round with me to see how I get on.

I don't think MP60s are blades in the purest sense so they might be a good halfway house.

Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by W10
I've been told to trial them by a couple of pros to see how I get on.

My swing is pretty good. I'm just getting back into golf after a few years out.

On the range (I know its different in terms of lie etc) I hit 50 balls with a variety of irons and hit four bad shots. So I may just borrow a set to take round with me to see how I get on.

I don't think MP60s are blades in the purest sense so they might be a good halfway house.
If you're intent on wanting something more traditional looking and with the blade feel go for a set such as the MP60's - you'll still get the forged feel and some of that forgiveness from the slight cavity they have.

I still wouldnt recommend it and also think the pro's who suggested them are not giving you the best advice - but at the end of the day you must go with what you like and want ... just keep the old clubs in the garage ready to pull them out if the blades dont work!

just something to think about .... I used blades but got frustrated when I could drop from 1 handicap, so I switched to progressive cavity backs ... +1 in 2 months!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
If you're intent on wanting something more traditional looking and with the blade feel go for a set such as the MP60's - you'll still get the forged feel and some of that forgiveness from the slight cavity they have.

I still wouldnt recommend it and also think the pro's who suggested them are not giving you the best advice - but at the end of the day you must go with what you like and want ... just keep the old clubs in the garage ready to pull them out if the blades dont work!

just something to think about .... I used blades but got frustrated when I could drop from 1 handicap, so I switched to progressive cavity backs ... +1 in 2 months!
holy shit its Laura Davies posting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.