Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Golf Courses in AD

Golf Courses in AD

Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

smileymiley1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Golf Courses in AD

I am moving to AD in Sept and am a very keen golfer. I cant seem to find any info on how much the annual membership fees are on AD championship course.

I was also thinking about Jebel Ali as an option because i will be living in Al Raha, anyone know how much membership is there as well?!?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf Courses in AD

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980
I am moving to AD in Sept and am a very keen golfer. I cant seem to find any info on how much the annual membership fees are on AD championship course.

I was also thinking about Jebel Ali as an option because i will be living in Al Raha, anyone know how much membership is there as well?!?
I presume you have tried the numbers for Al Ghazel and Abu Dhabi Golf Course. I keep saying I should go for a round at Al Ghazel. I've never played a sand course before.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link, it gives the numbers for the main golf courses in AD.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/clubhouse.../UAE/abudhabi/
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980

The championship course in AD has a waiting list that is currently closed due to over subscription (!). Unless you are extremely well connected or a professional player, I doubt you will get membership in the next 2-3 years. You can play as a visitor but you need to book well in advance or know a member.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
The championship course in AD has a waiting list that is currently closed due to over subscription (!). Unless you are extremely well connected or a professional player, I doubt you will get membership in the next 2-3 years. You can play as a visitor but you need to book well in advance or know a member.
agree, if your a 4HC or less, you will get in....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes no new members allowed, but that doesnt always mean the case, the problem is that now they have taken away a quarter of the course less people can use the course, but my advice as i know that members get less 'time' on the course as a 'non' member, so i would just pay as you go and obviously in the next couple of years it will change as there are a few new courses being built.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

The membership for The National is ridiculous - something like 21,000dhs plus the joining fee. Coupled with the waiting list, i would give it a miss.
Just pay and play - it's a much cheaper way of doing things.
Join the UGA and you'll keep your handicap too.
However, the value for money on the National is getting dire - prices going up, and they've incorporated the front nine from the old Garden course into an all-encompassing National Course (which is 3 nines). Non-members invariably get put on that and the back nine of the National. Wouldn't mind, but the Garden course is little more than a pitch and putt.
Equestrian club is another grass, but only nine holes and in the middle of the racecourse, so not the most interesting course you'll ever play.

Al Ghazal (sand course) is an acquired taste and you'll either like it or hate it (notice i didn't say love it). It's very cheap to join, no waiting list and they have a very good practice facility with a great teaching pro.
You pays you money, you takes your choice!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

as i said pay as you go. the price was 17k a year plus join fee they have put it up this year, who knows what it will be next year, this is because it is now run by troon and not sheraton as before.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

If you are a keen golfer and play regularly, then 17k is not too bad... its probably in the region of 700dhs for 18 holes (if Dubai prices are similar) which is 26 rounds a year. That is only golf every 2nd weekend, and no midweek swift 9s. The joining fee would be a stinger though...

Same issue seems to be the case in Dubai and AD though - full waiting lists means you can't get the membership even if you want to pay it.

I've done the Emirates summer membership, and am getting more than my moneys worth out of it, with 18 holes each Friday and 3 x 9 hole rounds mid-week... Even using the summer prices, thats the equivalent of 1k dhs a week of golf and the summer offer was 3500... I've played that much golf already in the 4 weeks the membership has been valid!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes 21 plus now, but its very difficult for members to get on and play, you have better chance as a non member, as they already have members fees so they want more on top from non member. but the prices are still cheaper than dubai!