British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Golf in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/golf-abu-dhabi-624042/)

Millhouse Aug 5th 2009 7:20 pm

Golf in Abu Dhabi

I've just found the golf clubs...and am thinking of using them this weekend.

Where is the best place for a complete golfing numpty to have a go at 9 holes? and do you have any idea of the price? I'm happy to walk it and not take a buggy (yes, I'm strange)

I'm guessing it's the one behind the AD Heath & Fitness club (country club as it's now known).

Cheers

busybee2 Aug 5th 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Golf in Abu Dhabi

country club hahaha. if you want to do it on grass then ad golf club is the best, but if not then you have 2 other choices, as you say the country club or there is al ghazal the sand course out by the airport. all will still be doing summer rates

Millhouse Aug 6th 2009 4:20 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7816017)
country club hahaha. if you want to do it on grass then ad golf club is the best, but if not then you have 2 other choices, as you say the country club or there is al ghazal the sand course out by the airport. all will still be doing summer rates

Yes I had grass in mind. Any idea of the cost for 9 holes? The website says 390Dh for 27 holes but I don't want to pay or play that much...!

And do I have to book in advance, or can I just turn up?

busybee2 Aug 6th 2009 5:14 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 7816773)
Yes I had grass in mind. Any idea of the cost for 9 holes? The website says 390Dh for 27 holes but I don't want to pay or play that much...!

And do I have to book in advance, or can I just turn up?

but thats a very good price a lot of the golf course usually charge 500/600 and that will be with a cart as well, too hot to walk now.... but you dont have to do 27 you can do them in 9s.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2009 5:25 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7816847)
but thats a very good price a lot of the golf course usually charge 500/600 and that will be with a cart as well, too hot to walk now.... but you dont have to do 27 you can do them in 9s.

Yes true, still expensive though. I'm more of a 4 quid for 9 holes man.

busybee2 Aug 6th 2009 5:47 am

nope not going cost that...... these are championship golf course (adgc) and they have always been in the 100quid range, but now summer rates and the weather is not as hot as it should be for this time of year because of the haze but the haze is lifting, but meant to be coming back.

busybee2 Aug 6th 2009 5:48 am

you need to join EGGS Emirates Gentleman Golfing Soc but they havent started back up yet.

busybee2 Aug 6th 2009 5:50 am

sorry forgot location of country club.... yes the country club perhaps its new name but was ad health and fitness club and behind that is the equestrian club, the golf course is within the horse track.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7816896)
you need to join EGGS Emirates Gentleman Golfing Soc but they havent started back up yet.

What's this? The google search starts right now...

I see that the sand courses are as cheap as chips (60Dh for 9 holes), but I guess that's becuase they don't require their own desalination plant.

JonOg Aug 6th 2009 6:47 am

I wouldn't recommend going to the equestrian club at the moment as its currently on temporary greens, which are terrible.
However its not bad for a knock after work during the week, whenever the greens get sorted, though they could do with installing a few more lightbulbs in the floodlights as it can be difficult to see parts of the course.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2009 6:59 am

Originally Posted by JonOg (Post 7817001)
I wouldn't recommend going to the equestrian club at the moment as its currently on temporary greens, which are terrible.
However its not bad for a knock after work during the week, whenever the greens get sorted, though they could do with installing a few more lightbulbs in the floodlights as it can be difficult to see parts of the course.

Do I need to have spikes or can I turn up in shorts and trainers?

JonOg Aug 6th 2009 7:10 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 7817021)
Do I need to have spikes or can I turn up in shorts and trainers?

you will be able to get away with wearing trainers.
they hire trolleys as well if you really do fancy the walk.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2009 7:15 am

Originally Posted by JonOg (Post 7817044)
you will be able to get away with wearing trainers.
they hire trolleys as well if you really do fancy the walk.

Great. Thanks. One last question - do I need to book? I'm guessing that it's not going to be that busy...

JonOg Aug 6th 2009 8:24 am

I would advise booking the number is 02 445 9600.
It can get busy on the weekend but generally you'll be able to get a tee time without much hassle especially at the moment due to the temporary greens. However there is another golf society thing there the GONADs normally they play on a Tuesday night (I think) but i think it might only be the 'winter' months.

busybee2 Aug 6th 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 7817000)
What's this? The google search starts right now...

I see that the sand courses are as cheap as chips (60Dh for 9 holes), but I guess that's becuase they don't require their own desalination plant.

yep you got it. it depends on what you want if you have seen the adgc on the telly you should get an idea what its like, and the other 2 just dont compare. but it depends on what you want.